PDA

View Full Version : Safety Issue with Macroline

nak81783
12-15-2001, 09:57 PM
I've read that macroline is usually rated for a 500 psi operating pressure. How can this be safe with any CO2 tank, or with nitrogen systems with an output pressure of more than 500 psi (almost all guns need more input pressure than 500 psi, except those optimized for low pressure operation)? I know some people out there will probably say, "Oh, I've used macroline with CO2 in 90 degree weather and an overfilled tank and never had problems with it." But seriously people, how safe can it be with a 500 psi rating on it? I've also read that macroline can come with higher operation pressure ratings. What brands are these and where can I get them? Thanks.

Nathan

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-15-2001, 09:58 PM
i'm almost positive that macro lines handle more than that. i've never had a problem with them in the past. if they couldn't handle that pressure, why would everyone use them? that's just the way i figure it.

Tunaman
12-15-2001, 09:59 PM
500 psi is the average safe working pressure. The full rated line pressure is 4 times that or 2000 psi.

nak81783
12-15-2001, 10:07 PM
I feel like I've betrayed AGD for seeking paintball information from other than this site, but here is the link where I read about macroline. Notice, that they failed to mention that it can handle a higher pressure than the standard safe operating pressure. Thanks a lot for your help guys.

http://paintball.about.com/library/weekly/aa013001a.htm

Nathan

Cha0tic
12-15-2001, 11:42 PM
i've run my mag at 800-850psi for a year with the same line. no problems at all. they are not rated at 500psi

Ityl
12-16-2001, 12:05 AM
CO2 will weaken macroline. But it will tank a long time for the macroline to weaken enough for it to blow, so it's all good. Microline is a different story though.

Kevmaster
12-16-2001, 10:03 AM
mIcro is usually a 2-400psi working, and mAcro is usually 4-700 working. depends on which company you get to make the macroline. some will make high and some will make less. the WP SHOULD be printed on the side of the macroline

Puddleglum
12-16-2001, 12:49 PM
Well, I have guns that are running SS Line, Macroline, and Microline. And I like the Macroline(that's the smallest)the best. It is flexible, strong, and easy to use. The SS is nice but isn't flexible. And I really like how easy it is to use the Macro and Microline. Because you can disconnect the line really easily. Mine never leaks and has never had any problems.

Tunaman
12-16-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Puddleglum
Well, I have guns that are running SS Line, Macroline, and Microline. And I like the Macroline(that's the smallest)the best. It is flexible, strong, and easy to use. The SS is nice but isn't flexible. And I really like how easy it is to use the Macro and Microline. Because you can disconnect the line really easily. Mine never leaks and has never had any problems. You have it backwards again...Microline is the smallest and is no longer recommended for paintball applications.

X-Plosive
12-16-2001, 02:28 PM
that we are on the topic, I remember hearing that teflon tape has a standard safe working pressure of 60psi, is this right? Ever since I heard that I have been trying to use Loctite 545 for most of my air fittings. However it's not like I took off the old ones and loctited them back on.

XR4
12-18-2001, 11:14 AM
not to be an alarmist, but I've had macro line explode on me. It was a hot sunny day and I was using CO2, which didn't help any. I also had occasional leak problems, so I've switched to SS hose. No more explosions.

mykroft
12-18-2001, 11:58 AM
Macro is usually rated for 500psi, which means 1500psi burst pressure. Shocker Macroline is 250psi(750 burst), I've seen that blow, though it was on a Bushy, running about 600 into it. SS Braid is 3000psi rated, for 9000psi burst pressure.

Think about it, SS Braid should be able to take the hit from a reg failure on a 4.5K system, anything else could have problems taking full pressure from a CO2 tank in warm weather. I do run Macro on my RT, but SS braid is definitely in its future.

PyRo
12-18-2001, 01:54 PM
Just get quality lines, don't let it get too old, and replace it at the first sign of wear and you should be fine.

boggerman
12-18-2001, 02:28 PM
I had macroline explode on me the first day out. It was about 85 degrees and I run co2(no option where I live) so I have changed back to ss braided lines.

PyRo
12-18-2001, 04:04 PM
SS is always just better.
I think its parker or something similar who makes the good macroline.

LeadBasedPaint
12-18-2001, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by XR4
not to be an alarmist, but I've had macro line explode on me. It was a hot sunny day and I was using CO2, which didn't help any. I also had occasional leak problems, so I've switched to SS hose. No more explosions.

One of my friends had that happen too. It was hot and I guess that made the preasure rise. It blew out, he cut it off past the hole, reatached it, and went back playing. These are extreme casses though. This day was also hot enough that some dude's burst disk ruptured (that means the preasure gets to 3000psi doesn't it?), and my gun (a black M98) was hot to the touch.

LaW
12-18-2001, 10:44 PM
Macro will definately work well and a lot safer with higher pressure then microline. I had a similar experience with my macro popping off and starting spinning hehe

I've also ran microline on a preset 68ci tank for months without a problem.

Mossman
12-18-2001, 11:27 PM
hears a little food for thought boys. Lets say your 4500psi reg does fail....do you really want your SS hose to not break. Jesus, imagine 4500psi to your gun for prolonged time......Id rather have my macroline blow up in an instant.

I had like 1500 to my gun when my flatline when wacky (I have an RT), and it wasnt the same for days, oddly its getting better on its own though

FooTemps
12-18-2001, 11:32 PM
Mossman, maybe your rt gained organic properties... Like the ability to heal itself... lol...

What about hardline?

Drizit
12-19-2001, 10:26 AM
i'd go with ss my self, i've had macro line explode, and i've seen it go on other peoples guns. as to wanting it to blow if your reg fails, i wondn't, the mag is the only marker that can take that kind of pressure and not blow. i will never go back to macro line. any gun i buy will have ss hose on it before i ever put a tank on it.

PyRo
12-19-2001, 02:07 PM
4500 psi in a macro line :) Let that hit your hand, it will give you a nice little gash. This is a very rare occurance that a tank fails, and if it does what happens is the valve will just vent the air. You will then need to send it it to be fixed.

beam
12-20-2001, 08:51 AM
Mossman: Won't the mag's regulator just regulate it down to operating pressure for the gun? I don't think the reg cares what pressure is coming into it...whether it be 850 or 4500.

I think in theory....your reg could go out on your 4500 tank and you wouldn't be able to tell because the mag's reg would still regulate it....unless you had a gague inline...but that would probably blow if it wasn't a high pressure gague.

I don't know. Anyone?

nak81783
12-29-2001, 04:47 PM
My Mag's valve has "Rated at 3000 psi" ingraved on the side of it. Doesn't that mean it will blow if the input pressure is higher than 3000 psi? Don't know for sure, but this seems that 4500 psi would do serious damage to your Mags.

Nathan

[NA]WARLORD
12-29-2001, 11:53 PM
Macro line should hold up fairly well since we use it in small strands, what i mean is the longer the hose the more likley it is to have problems esp., with co2. As the temps outside rise, co2 expands, thus after time will weaken the hose as well as the freezing temps inside which will break down the dexterity of the material. I'm not an expert, but I would go with the strongest hose you could find, call it cheap insurance............

Cardinal_Biggles
12-30-2001, 01:13 AM
Macro line is the DEVIL! I've had nothing but bad experiences with it. My brother had a fitting in which the metal sleeve blew out like a bullet and put a hole in our patio roof, and I cut a nasty gash in my finger while trying to cut it with a knife because it was leaking (It wasn't on the 'gun when I cut it, of course;) ). The knife went through it like butter, and straight into my finger. This stuff is so dangerous it should be melted down and be made into something with a lower casualty rating, like ICBM's.

anthraxxx
01-03-2002, 03:09 PM
I am going to set my automag up with a drop forward and a new pure energy preset tank. I had an ex chamber on it as I was ruuning co2 before. The input line to the x is located near its bottom. After looking things over it appears as though I might have something like 2 inches or less between where drop forward will position the output valve from my tank and where the input will have to go in to the x-chamber. None of my existing lines are short enough to accomadate this new distance.

My question can i get ss lines that will be short enough for this set up? Will I have to resort to macroline?

[NA]WARLORD
01-03-2002, 03:23 PM
TRy a ss line about 4" long with a Q/D, this will help prevent kinking in the line, or go with a macro line set up, mine origionaly had a micro-line, which worked fine, but i changed it to macro when i heard the complaints.. it will look funny but, it will work, unless u try the 2" with a Q/D, but that wont leave any room to play with it.....

barretc
01-03-2002, 04:07 PM
i have run the same mIcro line on my mag for over a year with a preset tank(850psi) and I have never ever had a problem yet

PyRo
01-03-2002, 06:52 PM
If you put 3000+ psi into the mag, the reg has a saftey where it will just start to rapidley vent air. After that goes, you need to send your gun in to have it fixed.

Puckz
01-03-2002, 11:38 PM
Macro and Microlines are all different, depending on the manufacturer and the use they were designed for. You can find both made for working pressures from 200-1000 PSI (and higher!). When micro and macrolines were first used for paintball most weren't of good quality or high enough working pressure because they were cheaper (more profit).

Macrolines (and micro) should have the working pressures written on them. If you don't want to worry about one blowing on you read the line before you buy it. Most sold for paintball today are about 1000 PSI working pressure lines.

Either way its not really a big safety issue, more of a "will this be a pain in my *** issue?"

paintbattler
01-04-2002, 10:40 AM
why wood a company make a line that can barely hold CO2 pressure? that wood be very dum. plus i think (im not sure) that N2 has been around longer than macroline so that means they wood make it under N2 pressures