PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing Woes

REDRT
03-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Well I thought I might post my situation on my own thread. Seems the question of anodizing comes up often enough. This may help some people here.

I've had my tequila fade emag for a few years now. It is a factory high gloss yellow/gold to orange fade. Not a typical Emag. It looked super with a nickel ULE body on it, but I want to give it a new look. As you many know DW Karta bodies are smoke'n hot. I was able to purchase one from Cleansweep right here on AO used. I really wanted the karta to fade like the rest of the gun, but I didn't want to redo the factory anodizing. I called Colin at DW to ask him advice of were to send it. He gave me 2 suggestion. PK Selectives and A+. Looking into both of them I found PK was more expensive than I thought it should cost. A+ seem reasonable enough. After contacting them and telling them what I had, I felt confident they can do this job for me. Well they did the job and got it back to me in 13 days. I was very happy with the turn around time being even better than quoted. All seemed well until I opened the package. The anno wasn't close at all. Over the phone they said it was extremely close, but the final product wasn't even the same color. Looked like a copper pipe to me. There was blemishes and traces of black that didn't stripe. I was looking at it today and I supposed if the whole marker was this new color it might be ok, but I like the original color way better. I wouldn't send anything to A+ for them to to match anodize something ever again nor would I send anything to them because the quality didn't seem all that. So what was I supposed to do now? Well like a dummy I should've called AGD from the get go. I got answers with in minutes. These colorful Emags and Xmags where done at PK Selectives I'm told. Because I tried to skate off cheaper I will end up having the most expensive karta ever! I currently have the cost of a used emag into it and by the time it is done maybe the cost of a new emag! :eek: I sent the stuff off to PK today. I should have it back in a few weeks. A+ emailed me stating, "it's as close as it will ever get". I hope I'm correct in thinking close only counts in horseshoes, handgrenades, and nuclear warfare. If this all turns out. I'll do my best at posting pics. I'm shooting for MOTM when everything is done sometime this year.

RoamingStorm
03-10-2006, 05:30 PM
any pics of how A+ did?

REDRT
03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
any pics of how A+ did?

Nope. I didn't want be reminded of it being hidious. My Emag is somewhat like a Mountain DEW Livewire can in color and the karta turned out like a tarnished brass/copper fade

behemoth
03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
That sucks.

But, the Tequila fades were done a while ago, i'd assume that the marker has some knicks, etc?

Should've just got the whole thing redone at PK :)

rifleman wi
03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm shooting for MOTM when everything is done sometime this year.
yea.. your goona have to beat mine first :p

REDRT
03-10-2006, 06:25 PM
That sucks.

But, the Tequila fades were done a while ago, i'd assume that the marker has some knicks, etc?

Should've just got the whole thing redone at PK :)

Accually the original sight and body rail has a couple very small knicks. The lowers are very clean. NO real need for them to be done. I'll sacrafice my body before I dinger up my makers.

behemoth
03-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Accually the original sight and body rail has a couple very small nicks. The lowers are very clean. NO real need for them to be done. I'll sacrafice my body before I dinger up my makers.

Thats what i like to hear :)

Good luck with the anno from PK.

Then, if it comes out, email A+ and say 'Close as its gonna get, huh?'

and ask for atleast half, or something...

REDRT
03-10-2006, 06:27 PM
yea.. your goona have to beat mine first :p

I could get it done next year and beat you to the MOTM. :rofl: :D

REDRT
03-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Thats what i like to hear :)

Good luck with the anno from PK.

Then, if it comes out, email A+ and say 'Close as its gonna get, huh?'

and ask for atleast half, or something...

HAHAHA, Yeah I kind of thought about doing that if things go well, but what would it gain? Surely not any of my money back. They did a service and everything was on time as agreed. I can chalk that one up as a costly learning experiance.

rifleman wi
03-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I could get it done next year and beat you to the MOTM. :rofl: :D
yea..probly.. :( once you get it back i wanna see pix... its goona look sweet...

REDRT
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
yea..probly.. :( once you get it back i wanna see pix... its goona look sweet...

Just show up at the field. I will be playing again very soon. :dance:

Rudz
03-10-2006, 09:44 PM
can u pm the contact info for pk..thanks

REDRT
03-10-2006, 10:01 PM
can u pm the contact info for pk..thanks

Done.

RusskiX
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
HAHAHA, Yeah I kind of thought about doing that if things go well, but what would it gain? Surely not any of my money back. They did a service and everything was on time as agreed. I can chalk that one up as a costly learning experiance.

Yeah my experience with A+ was very similar: decidely mixed.

I sent 12 pieces in last November for complete stripping & re-anno. I wasn't trying to match any existing pieces, just a new clear to purple "ice fade" for the entire body. They were extremely prompt and professional in communicating via email as the order got setup. I included a sample paintchip with the final shade of purple that I was looking for and provided pictures from their own website for the fade job I wanted. This is what I requested:

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/RusskiX-purpleblackfaderipperconvert3web.jpg

They turned around the job in 2-3 weeks as promised and even called me upon completion. At that time, they indicated they were not able to match the color I requested, but stated they were very close and that they were shipping it back...All seemed good. I received the pieces back promptly and well packaged. Unfortunately, the final result had two flaws per my initial instructions. The color was a pink/magenta rather than the deep purple I had provided and the fade was pretty nonexistant, except at the tip of the barrel. To their credit, the color was thick and uniform and the ano seemed durable. This is what I got:

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/RusskiX-PurpleBM.JPG

I sent a quick email to A+ noting my concerns and they were very accomodating. They explained that different pieces took the dye differently, hence the fade was not uniform. They also did not hesitate to take the pieces back for another try, obviously at no additional cost. They expressed confidence that they could at least match the color better to my original purple request. So, I packaged it back up and sent it for another try.

Again, they had quick turnaround and sent me an email when they were sending the second try back to me.

The final result was still not exactly was I was looking for. The fade was still not uniform and the color was now a purplish/pewter/grey. Better than the pink/magenta, but not what I was hoping for; my wife calls it "frosted plum" :rolleyes: Here she is currently:

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/RusskiX-PewterBM.JPG

Overall, A+ has great customer service, quick turnaround and are very professional in their communication. Unfortunately it seems their ability to anno to color specifications is limited. So I guess it depends what your priorities are as a customer. If you are not picky about your color or have a simple one color job then A+ can turn around a job quickly. But if you are looking for specific colors or techniques, I would shop around. Personally, I can't imagine anyone sending out their marker for re-ano and not caring about the final color, since that is the entire reason for anodizing. For my next job, I'm sending off to fbmfactory.

REDRT
03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the photos RusskiX. Funny thing was per their web site they had pictured my colors also. Maybe they're pictures of other peoples work? :wow: They sure didn't produce anything close to what they had pictured or the parts I sent them for examples. Honestly your pinkish anno was closer to what you wanted than how mine turned out. Yes they did call to confirm it was done and I had no problem with communications with them. I didn't however have offers to redo the botch job like you had. Their attitude was it was close enough and live with it. My attitude is they can rot in the place of fire and brimstone. They will never get my business ever again. Some of the private emails I have recieved confirms, "I'm not the only one".

Rudz
03-10-2006, 11:57 PM
im glad i saw this, i was planning on giving them work..now...yeah right..ill pay extra to get it done right

BeaverEater
03-11-2006, 12:31 AM
ya that really sucks, more down time on your gun then huh. I guess im just gonna have to wait to shoot you :rofl: i think im probably headed to the field next weekend too.

REDRT
03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
ya that really sucks, more down time on your gun then huh. I guess im just gonna have to wait to shoot you :rofl: i think im probably headed to the field next weekend too.

I have other guns ie mags I could whomp you with :D Money is limited with car payment and other bills this week. Not much work for the last two weeks doesn't help neither.

magman007
03-11-2006, 03:29 AM
the worst part is, a plus is capable of doing awesome anno. All of the agd pride guns were done by aplus, and they were practically works of art.... this is rediculous

Chaos_Theory!
03-11-2006, 10:34 AM
This is exactly why i reccomend Absolute Finish. They have amazing prices, awesome communication, and the best anno jobs ive seen.

Reading about how badly it sounds like youremag came out is bad enough but after seeing the pics of that cocker im shocked at how badly they anno. The anno was terrible. The color wasnt even close (i dont even see how they could be that far off) and there is pretty much no fade at all.

RusskiX
03-11-2006, 11:30 AM
This is exactly why i reccomend Absolute Finish. They have amazing prices, awesome communication, and the best anno jobs ive seen.

Yeah, Absolute is kinda the new kid on the block. They are working hard to build a name for themselves based on good service and good results. Admittedly I have no direct experience with them, but pictures of their single color work is decent. The problem is they don't appear to have a lot of experience for more complicated work like fades and patterns.

And thats the real problem with anodizers; complicated jobs require experience. Anybody can do a decent job with one color, so the real choice is customer service, speed and price. But if you want a nice fade, camo, pattern, whatever then you are probably better off spending the loot with an established, expereienced anodizer.

Good luck.

RoamingStorm
03-11-2006, 11:43 AM
These people seem to know what they are doing, a little pricy, but they hav anno tattoos, laser engraving everything you could want

Fireball Mountain (http://www.fbmfactory.com/)

*thank A-tach for giving me that link a while back* he said he has great service from then

REDRT
03-11-2006, 12:13 PM
After the horror of the job A+ turned out looking at all these other places mentioned is risky for me. I wasn't taking a chance this time. PK has been in business for 30 years now. Through the years they have revolutionized the industry with cutting edge anodizing. They did it first and they originally did my anno. They're my best hope for perfection.

RoamingStorm
03-11-2006, 12:24 PM
well god luck, if team dynasty trusts their markers to fb,. I think I can too

Chaos_Theory!
03-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah, Absolute is kinda the new kid on the block. They are working hard to build a name for themselves based on good service and good results. Admittedly I have no direct experience with them, but pictures of their single color work is decent. The problem is they don't appear to have a lot of experience for more complicated work like fades and patterns.

And thats the real problem with anodizers; complicated jobs require experience. Anybody can do a decent job with one color, so the real choice is customer service, speed and price. But if you want a nice fade, camo, pattern, whatever then you are probably better off spending the loot with an established, expereienced anodizer.

Good luck.

You are VERY mistaken. You obviously havnt seent hat much of their work. They do amazing fades, camo, tattoos, and a really cool acid wash like anno called backdraft and blaze. You should really check out ther stuuf on pbn. He posts his work up all the time. It is easily just as good as anything else ive seen done by any other company. They are now also working on doing teflon coating. Not to mention they have REALLY good prices.

paint magnet
03-11-2006, 01:38 PM
As they say, cheaper usually ends up costing more anyway.

RusskiX
03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
You are VERY mistaken. You obviously havnt seent hat much of their work. They do amazing fades, camo, tattoos, and a really cool acid wash like anno called backdraft and blaze. You should really check out ther stuuf on pbn. He posts his work up all the time. It is easily just as good as anything else ive seen done by any other company. They are now also working on doing teflon coating. Not to mention they have REALLY good prices.

I have seen all their stuff posted on PBN, and personally I'm not sold yet. Most of his work is single color on individual pieces. Sure you can get two or three color jobs as long as the individual pieces are one color each. I've seen his urban camo and I think others have done it better. I've seen his backdraft which is nice, but is a variant of acid wash, which does not require the precision of a fade, since the result is supposed to be random. I'm not flaming, its just my opinion that others have done it better. I'm sure Randy will also get better as he gets more jobs under his belt too and I wish him the best of luck.

REDRT
03-11-2006, 07:13 PM
well god luck, if team dynasty trusts their markers to fb,. I think I can too

I'm not on the Dynasty payroll so I'm not blindly letting what and where they do things influence my decisions.