PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MiniMag.... not shooting

Joffroi
03-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I recently purchased a minimag and just used it today with my CO2 tank. Occassionally during the day it froze up (which I heard was normal) anyway, most of the time it would go away and start working again. I took it apart to see if I could see if anything looked abnormal, put it back together and tested to see if it worked again. I plugged up the tank, the trigger "clicked" like it was ready to shot, but when I pulled the trigger, it didn't shoot air, but there was still tension against it. I've read through the manual and it seems like I put it all together right. Any ideas? Thanks

Here is a picture: http://photos-868.facebook.com/n13/18/110/121200941/n121200941_30082868_4289.jpg

There is a valve connecting the foreward grip to the pressure chamber on the other side.

knsmicromag
03-11-2006, 10:00 AM
first off nice gun. Now for the problems, it could be that thier is not enough Co2 in the tank. the next is you might need to turn up your velocity. Also make sure if the tank has an on/off that it is completely turned on andthe tank is screwed in completely then backed off 1/4 turn. this to allow the most ammount of air to the vale without restricting flow. :dance:

Joffroi
03-11-2006, 10:05 AM
first off nice gun. Now for the problems, it could be that thier is not enough Co2 in the tank. the next is you might need to turn up your velocity. Also make sure if the tank has an on/off that it is completely turned on andthe tank is screwed in completely then backed off 1/4 turn. this to allow the most ammount of air to the vale without restricting flow. :dance:

Yea, I just played around with some more to try to make sure again that I put everything back together right, and I also left the gun "open" added some air to see if te bolt still shot out (which it did) and then my tank did run out of air. Now, I have a 24 oz tank and filled it last week and only played a couple times with my old gun with it. Is the MiniMag that much of a gas guzzler? I'll get my tank filled again today I guess and see if thats the problem. If someone doesn't think its an air problem, please list more, I would like to have all options open.

Thanks so far

Joffroi
03-11-2006, 10:20 AM
actually, I just tried it with a tank that is almost completely full and still no luck. Again, the trigger still gets pushed forward like its ready to go, but when I pull it back, its almost as if its just not hitting the pin, which I'm sure is still in the right place.

Ok, it stopped working, I played with the velocity some, air started leaking out the back from there, and then I stoped it from raising it / lowering it, and it worked. Then it might stop, I changed it again, it works for a while, is there a way I can ensure that it will always work? Is something in the velocity adjuster messed up?

knsmicromag
03-11-2006, 02:40 PM
are you running an antisiphon tank, or an normal Co2 tank. automags are notorious for being a gass hog. are you running level ten or level 7 bolt. :dance:

Joffroi
03-11-2006, 10:07 PM
are you running an antisiphon tank, or an normal Co2 tank. automags are notorious for being a gass hog. are you running level ten or level 7 bolt. :dance:

I'm running a lvl 10 bolt now on your normal paintball CO2 tank. I played with it today and noticed that it would only run on a velocity of about 350 fps. If I turned it below that, it would get that initial problem. Unfortunately, towards the end of the day when some cocky guy with a 1000 guns showed up, my gun decided to crap out. But before the game, I got my tank refilled so that wasn't the problem (unless the guy just did a bad job filling it).

Lenny
03-13-2006, 12:04 AM
My mag is doing the exact same thing. There's pressure behind the trigger, but it won't shoot. Check the on/off and clean it. It was suggested in my thread, I'm going to tomarrow.

You're running a classic valve, right? RT won't work with CO2. So, maybe that's a problem?

REDRT
03-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm running a lvl 10 bolt now on your normal paintball CO2 tank. I played with it today and noticed that it would only run on a velocity of about 350 fps. If I turned it below that, it would get that initial problem. Unfortunately, towards the end of the day when some cocky guy with a 1000 guns showed up, my gun decided to crap out. But before the game, I got my tank refilled so that wasn't the problem (unless the guy just did a bad job filling it).

What color is the bolt spring that you are using right now with your set up? If you are using the longest spring (silver one) That could explain your problem. If that is the case drop down to the shorter red one.

Joffroi
03-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Its using the red one :confused:

REDRT
03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Humm, so you are using the red spring and it has to be shooting about 350fps otherwise it doesn't fire. You should be able to chrono under 300 with that red spring reliably. You could try the smallest gold spring, but it is harder on the paint. Maybe someone stretched out your red spring. How is the carrier for the Lvl10 fitting? You may have a way too tight of one installed. That could do it to. Or maybe if you over tightened the field strip screw you might have the bolt bind body/barrel wise. I'll give it some more thought.

Joffroi
03-13-2006, 02:38 PM
yea, I'm still a little clueless. One thing... when I read more about the lvl 10 bolt online and compared it to mine, I might have gotten cheated. But anyway, I took more picture, and this time of the insides to see if that helps any of you guys come to a conclusion about it:

http://photos-334.facebook.com/n13/18/110/121200941/n121200941_30084334_1387.jpg

On the one below, is the gap between the barrel and the V-adjustor something?
http://photos-335.facebook.com/n13/18/110/121200941/n121200941_30084335_1861.jpg

http://photos-336.facebook.com/n13/18/110/121200941/n121200941_30084336_2159.jpg

http://photos-337.facebook.com/n13/18/110/121200941/n121200941_30084337_2647.jpg

http://photos-338.facebook.com/n13/18/110/121200941/n121200941_30084338_3169.jpg

REDRT
03-13-2006, 03:42 PM
yea, I'm still a little clueless. One thing... when I read more about the lvl 10 bolt online and compared it to mine, I might have gotten cheated. But anyway, I took more picture, and this time of the insides to see if that helps any of you guys come to a conclusion about it:

Well I don't see anything out of the ordinary from your pic's. It is a LVL10 bolt, red spring, and power tube tip assy. I'm either leaning towards the Lvl10 carrier is too tight or something is binding the bolt like I said before.

Lenny
03-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, I fixed my mag. Maybe the same will work for you.

I still have no idea what the original problem was, but I took everything apart, washed them, and oiled them way more than necessary. After putting it all together and before airing it up, I pulled out the velocity adjuster and greased the threads. I gased it up and turned the velocity adjuster in until it shot. It's shooting beautifully now.

Hopefully this helps.

Joffroi
03-13-2006, 10:35 PM
well, like I said, my gun will shoot... just nothing under 250 fps..... now I showed it to some guy on my colleged that has messed with mags more then I have and he said changing to a lower tensioned spring might do the trick. I bought my gun used so I dont have all the other springs so I'll look online for a place to just buy the individual ones. If anyone has a link to one that has less tension then the red one and post a link, that would be cool.

REDRT
03-14-2006, 12:06 AM
well, like I said, my gun will shoot... just nothing under 250 fps..... now I showed it to some guy on my colleged that has messed with mags more then I have and he said changing to a lower tensioned spring might do the trick. I bought my gun used so I dont have all the other springs so I'll look online for a place to just buy the individual ones. If anyone has a link to one that has less tension then the red one and post a link, that would be cool.

And it isn't going to work. You said 350fps in an earlier post and that is what I went by. If it is 250fps your trying to reach then you are going have to get the stock gold bolt spring. I've never tried to get one that low, but I know your not going to get there with the red one. Red one starts working good in the 270fps range

Joffroi
03-14-2006, 12:50 AM
And it isn't going to work. You said 350fps in an earlier post and that is what I went by. If it is 250fps your trying to reach then you are going have to get the stock gold bolt spring. I've never tried to get one that low, but I know your not going to get there with the red one. Red one starts working good in the 270fps range

So the gold one is the the one I need to find individually? I have been browsing around and all I found so far is this...
http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=17&categoryID=38

its silver... would that lower it? I cant really find the gold one individually anywhere. Unfortunately, there are no really good local pb places around that would sell them.

REDRT
03-14-2006, 01:19 AM
So the gold one is the the one I need to find individually? I have been browsing around and all I found so far is this...
http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=17&categoryID=38

its silver... would that lower it? I cant really find the gold one individually anywhere. Unfortunately, there are no really good local pb places around that would sell them.

Yeah that is the gold one in your link. It is gold. That is the one you need to be able to shoot at your 250 fps. Are you playing indoor to warrent such a low FPS?

Joffroi
03-14-2006, 07:38 AM
No its outdoor, but like I said, the lowest I got my gun to crono and work at was 320. The field (and most I saw) always needed 275ish.

If you guys think that one will work, I'll be more then happy to spend 6 bucks after shipping to get my gun shooting normal

REDRT
03-14-2006, 09:33 AM
No its outdoor, but like I said, the lowest I got my gun to crono and work at was 320. The field (and most I saw) always needed 275ish.

If you guys think that one will work, I'll be more then happy to spend 6 bucks after shipping to get my gun shooting normal

Here is what I think. You need to carefully read your posts. In the thread you could only shoot when the velocity was about 350 fps, then nothing under 250fps and now 320fps or maybe 275fps hard to tell. Starting to be slightly annoyed. How can anyone help you if you can't get the facts straight. If that last 275 fps is the final chrono speed you want you shouldn't need to buy the gold spring. There is something very simple wrong because thats all it could be, simple. I gave you my suggestions, but I have no idea if you understand them. Maybe just send it to someone like Tuna for a tune up is the best thing for you to do.

Out

Joffroi
03-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Here is what I think. You need to carefully read your posts. In the thread you could only shoot when the velocity was about 350 fps, then nothing under 250fps and now 320fps or maybe 275fps hard to tell. Starting to be slightly annoyed. How can anyone help you if you can't get the facts straight. If that last 275 fps is the final chrono speed you want you shouldn't need to buy the gold spring. There is something very simple wrong because thats all it could be, simple. I gave you my suggestions, but I have no idea if you understand them. Maybe just send it to someone like Tuna for a tune up is the best thing for you to do.

Out

Sorry if there is confusion. Again, on avg, my gun shoots at 350 ( only got it to 320 as an "low record"). Most fields require at max 275 or you can't use your gun. I understand that the gold spring will let my gun shoot at a lower velocity then the red one so I'll get that.

Thanks for all the help and patience guys!

flyingpootang
03-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry if there is confusion. Again, on avg, my gun shoots at 350 ( only got it to 320 as an "low record"). Most fields require at max 275 or you can't use your gun. I understand that the gold spring will let my gun shoot at a lower velocity then the red one so I'll get that.

Thanks for all the help and patience guys!

If you are running a standard Co2 without a J tube I will assume that you carry your marker with the barrel facing down towards the ground. This will allow Co2 to flow liquid into your marker even with a expansion chamber on it. This will cause all the problems you have listed and will probably cause your marker to snow also. After keeping you marker level or shooting out all of the liquid out of it your marker's velocity should level off. The best and cheapest solution is to get a 30-45 dollar compressed air system from either one of the dealers (try to support the little guys) or ebay. It is not prone to all the problems as Co2 is and almost unaffected in cold weather play. Remember everybody starts somewhere so keep asking questions and describe them as best as possible. Hope this helps.......