PDA

View Full Version : Watches

Eagle
03-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I need a new watch. I need a digital display, backlit, count-up and count-down function, alarm, 12/24hr functionality, water-resistant to at least 200ft. If it has a digital compase and any fansy dive functions, thats great but not required. It has to be durable (I work construction, play paintball, getting into scuba diving) and the band has to be easily replaceable (I tend to go through 1 a year). I want to spend $100 or less, but I could go as high as $200 if nessessary. I've already looked at Freestyle and didn't see anything that caught my eye. Haven't looked at Suunto yet but I will, they just tend to cost to much. Anyone have any suggestions?

PS: Just looked at Suunto, and they don't sell direct, so I can get a lineup of features, but no idea on prices.

Steelrat
03-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Casio G-shock maybe? Seems to fit the bill, and is under $100.

wanna-b-ballin'
03-12-2006, 01:21 AM
timex expedition?
not too fancy or expensive. mine has lasted me about 11 yrs now. it is beatup, and scratched to hell, and i dont think i have even changed the battery 3 times.
i like it now because i really dont have to worry about it.

Maksimus54
03-12-2006, 03:49 PM
My vote is with the g-shock. They are great watches

fire1811
03-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I have a Casio Pathfinder PAG40-3V great watch

FARMER00
03-12-2006, 04:42 PM
g shock suck go with weagner or victorinox

Eagle
03-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, Weagner I'm not familiar with, didn't see a Victorinox that I liked, right now I'm leaning toward a G-Shock Frogman. My only gripe is that in all the discriptions I've read, nowhere does it say what sort of crystal it has, which usually means plastic as opposed to mineral, which I fear will scratch easliy.

Steelrat
03-12-2006, 05:39 PM
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/DW5600E-1V/

Looks like mineral crystal to me, according to their description.

Eagle
03-12-2006, 08:20 PM
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/GW200TC-3V.asp

This is the one I'm looking at. Both there and on the Casio site there is no mention of the crystal.

MarkM
03-13-2006, 06:46 AM
All the "want list" you have posted points to a G- Shock, they are cheap enough, though the ones with the compasses tend to raise the price a bit, they aren't a very practical day to day watch if you go with the scuba versions as they are pretty damned big. I use one when playing paintball and have taken long range and close up hits straight to the "glass" and no problems what so ever.
I collect G Shocks and have around 20 of them. The Frogman ones are on ebay all the time but you have to be slightly cautious as the Frogman versions also are a smaller version too, plus they get advertised as Frogman when they aren't. The real bulky G Shock that looks pretty cool (but doesn't have the compass) is the Stargate model (the model number escapes me) but it looks great, assuming you like the look of it...only problem with that model is that they do get sort after and the bidding can get fierce. Unless you are thinking of starting to collect when you search look out the later models as the Titanium Giez versions are not made any more.

CasingBill
03-13-2006, 09:42 PM
they just had a nice diver watch on woot.com a couple days ago. too bad you missed it.

CasingBill
03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
theres a nice watch on woot.com today

fire1811
03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
woot rocks