PDA

View Full Version : Its new marker time

Lohman446
03-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I took apart my PM5 today and cleaned it, its once yearly cleaning. Now do not take this as any fault of the marker. I play on a weekly basis (if not more often), my equipment is often abused and neglected. I had intended to keep this marker for the year, but will sell it to someone who plays less and is easier on equipment because I'm noting flaws that annoy me. A) The bottom reg cap on the hyper 2 has weak threading, it requires teflon tape to tighten down. B) The eye cover screw head is stripped out slightly

The marker has been a great marker, I had hoped to get two years out of it but I just don't see it lasting that long. So now I'm thinking about markers, I will buy it new. These are all in about the same price range for me, to give an idea where I am looking.

Im considering the Evil Minion - basically a PM6 that I can get, when they come out, for a good price.

I'm considering a PM6. This is one remarkably like a PM6 that I know the price is going to come down on soon. As I'm in no hurry right this moment I could wait for this price drop.

I'm considering a Shocker. I liked my Shockers when I had them, and they lasted me the same year all my other markers have.

Hmm... thinking I have never tried a Timmy for a year, not sure on this. Slightly disturbed by the pricing on them though, at least new.

Nerve? They have come down to a remarkable price, and seem to be decent markers.

Not interested in an Angel or an Ego... wondering if there is anything out there that I am missing on my considerations.

REDRT
03-11-2006, 11:22 PM
You are something. In another thread you stated you had problems with what 2 of 3 shockers something like that? And you now state your considering maybe another one. :rofl:
I'd give them a rest if I was you. Try something different.

personman
03-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Just buy a new eye cover screw at home depot for 50 cents. Problem solved. :)

Lohman446
03-11-2006, 11:38 PM
You are something. In another thread you stated you had problems with what 2 of 3 shockers something like that? And you now state your considering maybe another one. :rofl:
I'd give them a rest if I was you. Try something different.

But once I had them set up and working they worked fine :D . Aside from the end cap the problems were minor and can be shrugged off. I never maintained them and the only problem I had to deal with was FSDO, which I have on the Matrix as well

As to replacing the parts that have problems on my PM5... once I have a marker and am using it, I hate having to fix it. These are minor problems I'll grant, but its a sign to me that the abuse my markers take has taken its toll on this one. I honestly expect to toss my marker in my gear bag when I'm done with it, pull it out the next week, and have it work without flaws through a season. Now I don't get quite that, but its what I expect.

can'tthink of1
03-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Viking maybe, or maybe an 06 borg.

pachytriton
03-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I'd give the Alien '06 interceptor a try or wait for the fs-8 to come out. I'm still curious as to why the minion is so much cheaper than the pm6.

Resurection
03-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Could always consider going back to a devil? :p

REDRT
03-12-2006, 12:14 AM
With your lack of maintenance it is a wonder you don't have more problems! I can't recommend anything that you might be interested in because I never used any of them. I have a hard time even knowing what some of these markers look like. I only know mags really well. I'm no help to you. But if I were to drop my Emag I would highly consider the G7 fly myself for no reason other than it feels good in my hand, looks good to me and it is fast handling atleast for me. It just feels right for me, but you're not me...

ojhspyro89
03-12-2006, 12:32 AM
buy a FSv7 or v8 whatever.

Freestyles require next to no maintenence and the maintenence itself is easy. No tools needed.

CoolHand
03-12-2006, 12:52 AM
If you want to buy a marker that will take anything you throw at it, and laugh at you, you need to find yourself an '03 Viking, unmilled, with a WAS board and eyes.

The things are bulletproof. Zero maintenance. And I do mean zero. Not AGD zero, where they actually mean hours tuning the damned LVL X and ULT, I mean for real zero.

AKA lube in the ASA before you go, and that is it. Never worry about your marker going to crap on you again. If you have any trouble, 99% of the time it means the battery is dead, no joke.

They ain't purdy, and they ain't feather light, but they are hell for stout, and are still hella fast and efficient. Tune it right and you won't notice any more kick than your Matrix had.

That's my two cents.

If you don't/can't/hate working on your marker, then you do not want a Timmy, nor will you be really happy with a Shocker (or any spooler for that matter), as they require maintenance at regular intervals, or they will basically go on strike. Now, granted, it isn't hard to do, but you did say no maintenance.

rkjunior303
03-12-2006, 01:51 AM
coolhand hit it right on the head... 03 vike all the way...

you can find MILLED 03 vikings for dirt cheap right now... best bang for the buck. I miss my DC.

CoolHand
03-12-2006, 02:54 AM
you can find MILLED 03 vikings for dirt cheap right now... best bang for the buck. I miss my DC.

Yeah, that is very true also.

I was more referring to the type III hard anodize. Some of the milled bodies are hard ano'ed, some aren't. The hard coted bodies will take punishment much better.

That's why I suggested an unmilled, it's guaranteed to be hardcoted (unless it's gloss), and it's thick so you don't have to worry about bending/denting/dinging anything.

I had an Alias, an EMag, an Angel, a PM, a DM, a Shocker, an Impulse, and ECocker along with my Viking.

The only ones left are the Viking and the Impulse. The Alias was my next favorite, but I didn't need two ridiculously fast markers and I liked the Viking more, so I sold it. If I could get anything for it, I'd sell the Impulse too.

KiNgStiNg
03-12-2006, 03:48 AM
im also looking for a new gun. havent played paintball in a few years around 8 and have been looking at egos,angels and an emag...those 3 were top of my list but since then ive been told by alot of people who have owned many many guns . GO VIKING

so while i cant say it is the way to go. i can definately tell you it seems to be the popular choice for people who know what they are talking about.

Pballwizz
03-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Just outta curiosity, why dont you want an Ego. I have used mine for nearly a whole season and have never even opened it up except to upgrade it. I was just kinda curious why you dont like em :)

68magOwner
03-12-2006, 08:07 AM
i would also have to reccomend viking, I never had mine go down, ever, and never did any matinance other than oil in the asa+dry firing.

Pha|anx
03-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Zero maintenance. And I do mean zero. Not AGD zero, where they actually mean hours tuning the damned LVL X and ULT, I mean for real zero.Here here! :cheers:

After going from a Matrix with a bolt with numerous orings... To one with--- NONE! Maintenance never looked so easy.

I would look at 04/03 Vikings and maybe 05-S/06 Cyborgs.

/Ryan, you don't like 04s?

GT
03-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Not AGD zero, where they actually mean hours tuning the damned LVL X and ULT, I mean for real zero.

Who spends hours tunning either of those, especially a dealer?

Lo,
the irony of your post is that the most durable markers are also the ones that are a pain to find parts for locally and are no longer in production. Let that stir around in your barin for a while. I have ownes two vikings and both were great however, since I am a one gun man now I prefer my emag. Take a look at the promaster. I really likes my BKO while my viking was getting prettied up, I can only imagine how good that gun is.

I have been pretty fortunate to own very few guns that were utter junk.

slade
03-12-2006, 10:21 AM
personally id recommend getting a new screw for your proto, and sending the reg back to dye. but it looks like you probably want a new gun anyway. for low maintenance get a viking, many people like them but personally i havent really. id probably go with a cyborg, but they may require a bit more maintenance.

personman
03-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Who spends hours tunning either of those, especially a dealer?
Haha yeah I set mine up in about 15 minutes and havent touched them in over a year :p

RRfireblade
03-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Seems to me the irony of his post is that he needs a marker that comes either with higher grade screws or a properly sized , decent quality set of allen wrenches. :D

Perhaps also a tube a low/med strength thread locker. ;)

Lohman446
03-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't have a good source for new Vikings. At this point I am going to throw out a few offers to companies and see what one wants to work with me the most :D . My Proto today developed a leak where the reg "swivel" piece connects, had to take it apart and replace those o-rings. A minor thing but it just annoyed me at the time. Moreso because I picked up my backup mag, went and played, and found after 30 balls or so that I had neglected to fill the air tank. It might be that I am considering a new marker anyways and these things will now begin to annoy me more. I have a few good local offers for the Proto, considering I just bought the blue board for it and am including it I don't see it being that much of a problem to unload. Considering the price I paid for it, and how little value it has lost in that price over the year I have basically used it for a year for very very little $$. If I can continue to turn equipment over every year I will never take the big hit on any individual piece.

Hehe... yeh, I may from time to time grab an allen wrench that is good enough when I'm in a hurry. I make no justification for it. My markers are abused, often neglected... Its how it is, I have simply decided I simply don't care if they loose a bit more value, I'm not going to spend hours doing maintenance. Its why I change out markers every year, and tanks every year.

CoolHand
03-12-2006, 06:31 PM
. . . . . /Ryan, you don't like 04s?

I'm a wire detent man. No rollback (ever), slightly uglier (which is a plus to me, lol, I love ugly things), and they are cheaper.

GT - I have tuned a great many LVL X's and ULT's in my time, and they are a PITA. Not so much that it is difficult, but rather that the ENTIRE marker has to come apart to adjust it, then reassemble, test, disassemble completely, readjust, reassemble, test, etc, etc, etc.

It takes so long, and a lot of air to tune one in if it's not pretty damned close when it shows up. That, and I never get to see one that's pretty close to working right.

It's to the point that I just don't even mess with them anymore.

Loh - Buy a used one. Super cheap (like sub $500 cheap), and it will run forever (even if it's already shot a million shots). One need not always buy new to get a "new" gun. ;)

slade
03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
It takes so long, and a lot of air to tune one in if it's not pretty damned close when it shows up. That, and I never get to see one that's pretty close to working right.
its really not too bad if you have a macro fitting or quick disconnect. if you have to take a fitting off and then put teflon back on, it becomes a pain.

slade
03-12-2006, 06:47 PM
If I can continue to turn equipment over every year I will never take the big hit on any individual piece.
or, you can be the one that gets the equipment from someone who took a big hit on it.

REDRT
03-12-2006, 06:54 PM
GT - I have tuned a great many LVL X's and ULT's in my time, and they are a PITA. Not so much that it is difficult, but rather that the ENTIRE marker has to come apart to adjust it, then reassemble, test, disassemble completely, readjust, reassemble, test, etc, etc, etc.

It's to the point that I just don't even mess with them anymore.

That why I fill more than one tank if I'm tuning at a remote location like home. Otherwise I just do it at the store. Goes pretty quick using a proconnect off the valve also. Patients is a virtu. :D

SpitFire1299
03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
buy an angel led and pimp it out. :clap: lol.

onedude36
03-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I say 06 borg. Maybe thats because I want one.

jenarelJAM
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I just got an 04 viking, and wow. I'm expecting it to outlive me. I haven't shot it with paint yet(waiting for fittings and rail) but I'm expecting it to be smooth as butter. Everything is preset by the guy who sold it to me, and everything is really clean. there are no o-rings on the bolt(which can be pulled out in a second), and it looks like it will take a beating. I like low maintenence guns too. Viking was my choice.

BD_Paintball
03-12-2006, 08:33 PM
well if you want to stay in the matrix family i would get the pm6. i have a pm5 and love it, and my brother is getting a crazy good deal on a bnib pm6. i have shot alot of markers in the past and the matrix feels the best and performs great as you know with the pm5. get the pm6!!!! evil's gun looks nasty so i personally would not get that.

Arstron
03-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Look into the new Freestyles, FS-8, they get around 1300 shots per 68/4500 stock, come with predator lite code, dont take a lot to maintain, they are quiet and small. You do have to have a little bit of common sence to ballance the regs, but thats the biggest problem with the freestyles. I love my 04 and will more then likely be picking up a new fs-8 latter this year.

SpecialBlend2786
03-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I'd say take a serious look at the 06 borgs.

Other than that, the Minion sounds and looks pretty cool. the PM6 might just have the same faults that your PM5 had though.

PumpPlayer
03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Just get the PM6 (or Minion). That's what you want us to say anyhow.
You're used to them, enjoy how they shoot and you can apparently get them for a good price.

Of course, I've never shot either, so I can't do anything more than point out your apparent preference.

Lohman446
03-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally I was offered a Shocker on a better deal than a PM6 / Minion... now I've got a deal that I couldn't turn down on a Minion coming :) As to preference... the Shocker or Matrix platform I am comfortable with, and have ample experience with, I would have gone to either. I just could not get the same type of deal on a Timmy... and respected the opinions that said that I and a Timmy would have a parting of ways (much like I and my Q-loader (with catastrophic results for the Q-loader pod).

The Viking... I may pick up a used Viking, just to toy with and see if I like it. I guess I just need to feed the hype machine a bit still.

SPECK
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
FS8 are going to be nice. Or a new Alien, Borg', or yes, Evil Minion.

:cheers: