PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Cocker or Mag Classic?

paint magnet
12-16-2001, 12:05 PM
I know this is a 'Mag forum so the answer will probably be biased, but anyway, which one do you think is better, a cheap Cocker with a AA, or a Mag Classic with an AA (bottomline or back-bottle)? What I need the gun to do is basically be easy to upgrade ( not availibility sp? but ease of installing the parts yourself) and be reasonably durable. I like the design of the Mag better, but I will most likely be running CO2, which might be a problem. Also, I have heard several times about people wanting/trying to sell Mags for "lesser" guns like Tippmanns, which also bothers me. I would much rather get a Mag, but not if it will break on me. It doesn't really matter, but which one is more fun to take apart? BTW, this isn't my first gun, but I'm trying to keep the cost below $400.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
12-16-2001, 12:18 PM
I bought my used Mag for $175 and ran it on Co2 then switched to nitro. I have done anything to the internals and my friend that shoots a cocker with no stock parts (well maybe the body) thought it shot awsome.
GO WITH A MAG :)

Russ
12-16-2001, 12:21 PM
First off, welcome to AO, the BEST paintball forum on the 'net! :D

Second, I see you just signed on as a member. May I suggest you take some time and look through previous posts, just to gather information. There is also a search feature tab in the upper right corner of the web page. A lot has been said about your "decision".

My suggestion? Go with the 'Mag. There are also some really good deals on used 'Mags in the classifieds. I found a nice P/F Classic for $200 (w/o a barrel)

dorksquad55
12-16-2001, 12:33 PM
definitley go with the mag, hands down. if u want cheap easy upgrades than the mag is the way to go. simple to do by yourself and usually inexpensive.

if u use CO2, the best set up for the mag is an expansion chamber and a remote line which will keep liquid out f the marker. Another good set up is to run the bottle vertically which will also keep liquid out.

my choice is the mag.

ken
dorksquad55@aol.com

Dave
12-16-2001, 12:53 PM
Hey! Welcome to AO! I will try to help you out the best I can. I have a mag that started out as a mag classic, the exact same thing you are looking for. It is a great gun. By the time you go with an expansion chamber and all that, you would probably be better off with Nitro, the benefits outweigh the $, but it is it is a prob for you to find a place to refill nitro, I understand. If you hook up the mag with a good barrel(CP or Lapco) and shoot same sized paint with it, your looking at a great gun with a great shot.

You might hear a lot about mags chopping, but don't believe it all. The trigger take some time to get used to. I chopped a little when I first got it, but you'll probably get used to it in no time.

Mags are the funnest guns to take apart totally!!!!!!! You can basically take apart the whole entire gun, and put it back together, all by yourself, once you know how. It is a very simple design with few moving parts.

I think mags are some of the easiest to upgrade guns because they are so simple and you can add most of the upgrades on yourself.

Now, about cockers, I have never shot one, and I really don't need to, cause my mag is makin' me happy. But to kind of sum up what I heard a tech at my local shop say to a guy that just bought a brand new stock cocker "Never never never ever let anyone tell you they can take it apart and fix it or anything. If you have any troubles, don't touch it and bring it straight back here and we will fix it."

I would go with the mag also for the customer service. I have never met a company with such a passion for pleasing it's customers. It is way above and beyond just normal customer service. When you buy a mag, new or used, your getting pretty much lifetime service, which shows how much they believe in their products. I have gotten free stuff from AGD, replacement parts, and every person I deal with like Rob_AGD is totally cool and willing to help. I recently have been talking to Jon the in-house tech at AGD, and he is the nicest guy. Plus, you can get on here and ask the president of Airgun Designs, Tom Kaye, a question, and he will answer it for you. As he has said, he get on here like 3-4 times a day to check stuff. Definitely go with AGD, you'll not only get a great product, but become a part of a great family.

-Dave

paint magnet
12-16-2001, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Over at the Tippmann forums it usually takes a day or two for this many people to relpy! What problems will I have running CO2 that I won't have with other guns? (excludes velocity spikes, etc.)

gmag
12-16-2001, 01:57 PM
That low end cocker will probably break....

FeelTheRT
12-16-2001, 04:35 PM
whatever suites your taste.

Mags are pritty much consistant and reliable stock. Over the years Cockers have almost become close to that but not totally. IMO, I think Cockers are a type of gun where you don't buy stock but you buy to trick out and make it different to other Cockers (sorta like cars).

Boths guns have compleatly different pulls. The Mag has a hard but short trigger pull. The STOCK 2k =< (2k1/2k2) have fairly nice smooth pulls. The 99 => (99,98,97, ect) stock pulls aren't quite has light but can be. Cockers tend to shoot faster because your able to do trigger jobs such has adding trigger stops, timming it, polishing sear/hammer and aftermarket trigger parts such as trigger springs and 3 ways. Just recently invented, swing triggers have become big. anways back to the point. the point is, if your looking to spend on a gun that great out of box and dosn't need any upgrades, go for the Mag. If you are wanting a gun that you are going to invest 1000 bux and up to trick out, go for Cocker. But i still say shoot both before you decide.

Originally posted by gmag
That low end cocker will probably break....
acutally beleive it or not, stock Cockers (low end) tend to be more reliable than a gun that consists of different company parts.

FooTemps
12-16-2001, 07:38 PM
Well, you could buy a used pb gun. Those tend to be lower than 400. They may even come with nitro.

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/vbb/images/smilies/new/jump.gif

paint magnet
12-16-2001, 08:18 PM
I have several problems with nitro, though, and I would like to stick with CO2 if at all possible. First of all, there is the cost. Second, there is only one place I know of to get nitro fills, and it is a field. (this wouldn't be a problem except the field has three courses and none of them are very good, whereas the field I usually play at has 12 courses but only do CO2 fills) And, lastly, the size. Weight doesn't bother me, but those huge tanks really get in the way and if you have a huge tank on the end of your gun, it gets in the way(for me anyway), especially when you are used to running nothing above a 12 oz. and occasionally 12grams. I know there are many reasons to get nitro/hpa, but I would rather get a Palmer's stabalizer or a PB X core 8 stage expansion chamber.

Janixs
12-17-2001, 11:44 AM
I was just at my local PB store on Saturday they have a bunch of black vertical feed Minimags with a JJ barrel, for I think he said $300. They also have regular Minimags for around the same price. Here is there web site http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/index.asp they don’t list the vertical feed ones on the web site but just call them and tell them a friend told you about them.

Shaft
12-17-2001, 12:34 PM
Here's how Tom Kaye (president of AGD) discusses the two.

A Mag is a Corvette.
A Cocker is a NASCAR stock car.

Both are fast, high performance machines.

The Cocker can be tuned and tweaked and fiddled with to gain every last ounce of performance. Doing this requires a fair amount of skill and knowledge or else you risk ruining everything.

The Mag is great out of the box. No need to fuss with it. Upgrades (internal) are more likely to hinder performance or shorten its life and reliability.

He will also say that most folks get both at one point or another. He suggests buying the Mag first. :cool:

I would never trade in my Mag for a lower end gun. That would just be dumb.