PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, reliable blowbacks?

SCpoloRicker
03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
hAO,

Once I get my feet back underneath me employment-wise, I'm planning on picking some new equipment.

I'm actually considering buying two or three of the same, less-expensive, blowback-style markers. I'm planning on running Eggs and ramping software, so decent eyes are also important.

My logic is; have multiple sets of everything, ideally three, but two may be enough. I'm rough on my gear, so tack-on mods such as PredII upgrades aren't an option (I've torn eyes several times).

At the low end, I'm considering something like 3 Piranhas, at the high end maybe 2 Vikings or something. Thoughts/input on different models, as well as general commentary are welcome.

El Rickerino

Stealth Fighter
03-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Well, Mags aren't blowback, there blowforward, but I still recommend one. A couple of classics would be the seasoning, or you could get a hyperframed(electric) mag for about $300 and that would be nice as well.

magman007
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
why would he do that, when he is selling his dmag now?

SCpoloRicker
03-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Actually, its sold. :) I'm just waiting on a barrel to be returned, then she'll likely be gone forever. :(

I'm not really thinking of mags; I want cheap reliable electrics.

Steelrat
03-15-2006, 07:14 PM
03 viking. Hump noids, clamping neck, was or pandora, eyes. I've seen em below 400.

Maybe some older LCD angels, or possibly some tippman a-5s with e frames.

slade
03-15-2006, 07:18 PM
...why?

i must be missing something here. i can see having a backup, but to me theres no point in getting multiple of one marker... ahh well.

id say stay away from blowbacks at all costs. i hated my piranha and i never want another blowback marker. with how cheap markers are now, theres just no point anyway. id say go for a promaster (or two, i guess) its great for the price. you could go with a viking too, but ive never liked their size/feel.

SCpoloRicker
03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
...why?

i must be missing something here. i can see having a backup, but to me theres no point in getting multiple of one marker... ahh well.

My thought was if something breaks, you have a common pool of parts. I tend to throw stuff in the gear bag and leave it there.

Also, I often bring friends out to play, and often have more than one setup needed as a loaner. I'm sure theres no coincidence with my stuff getting broken... :(

id say stay away from blowbacks at all costs. i hated my piranha and i never want another blowback marker. with how cheap markers are now, theres just no point anyway. id say go for a promaster (or two, i guess) its great for the price. you could go with a viking too, but ive never liked their size/feel.

I've thought about the Promasters, but I don't know much about them. Stock bodied Viking is starting to make more sense now that I think about it.

slade
03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
I've thought about the Promasters, but I don't know much about them. Stock bodied Viking is starting to make more sense now that I think about it.
wuss. thats all the fun of it! :p

ive never owned a promaster but seriously, how hard can it be? its just another stacked tube electropneumatic. a vikings a great choice if you like the feel, but dont discount a gun just because you dont know anything about it.

Steelrat
03-15-2006, 08:08 PM

My impression of promasters is that they need some upgraded parts to work well.

Go with a 2k3 viking if you don't mind the slight weight penalty over the 2k4. The 2k3 detent system is more reliable. Don't worry about a gun not having an SCM, the stock LPR worked very very well. All you need is a razor blade trigger and a clamping neck, and you are ready to rock.

slade
03-15-2006, 08:11 PM
My impression of promasters is that they need some upgraded parts to work well.
itl work fine out of the box, but ICD regs are notoriously low quality. the regs should be the first to go.

Steelrat
03-15-2006, 08:12 PM
itl work fine out of the box, but ICD regs are notoriously low quality. the regs should be the first to go.

Right, which is why the viking is probably a better choice. The stock valve, reg, and lpr are the best you can get, no upgrades needed besides the feedneck and trigger.

slade
03-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Right, which is why the viking is probably a better choice. The stock valve, reg, and lpr are the best you can get, no upgrades needed besides the feedneck and trigger.
but vikings are also bigger, heavier, and more expensive, despite their age.

Steelrat
03-15-2006, 08:17 PM

What, like 1 lb heavier? And you can get a 2k3 for under $400. There is a reason the promaster is cheaper. Ricker wants a gun he can just toss around, and the build of the viking helps in that respect.

SCpoloRicker
03-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it does not work, you can hit him with it.

I don't know, I mean if Steelrat can't break it... its pretty solid.

deathstalker
03-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I also would like to chime in for the Viking. Compared to my Bushy (the only ICD product I own), the Viking will stand up to pretty much whatever you throw at it. My Bushy feels a bit fragile. Tough to put into words, but I hope I was clear. Also, maintenance on the Viking is as close to idiot-proof as you can get. Finally, prices are so low for AKA markers now that I simply don't think you can turn down the incredible value they offer. Heck, pick up a used Excal while you're at it!

As for having multiple markers, there are a number of reasons some of us do it. Parts is one reason. Another is liking it so much that you want another, just set up a little differently. Maybe different ano or milling, maybe different aftermarket parts, maybe a project marker so I can say, "I built that!"

I think a lot of it also has to do with disposable income. You're much less likely to find a teenager with a collection of 10+ markers than you are a college graduate with a steady income. If you're single, it's even easier.

SCpoloRicker
03-15-2006, 09:51 PM
I think a lot of it also has to do with disposable income. You're much less likely to find a teenager with a collection of 10+ markers than you are a college graduate with a steady income. If you're single, it's even easier.

Yep. Cost is an issue, but not really as much as it is for some folks.

My main concern is figuring out how I'm going to finance my new car once I get going again.

/XK8
//single

peewee
03-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I'd look in to the promaster a little more... vikings are anything but reasonably priced & I see alot of " I hear" about the PM. I was able to try one. The promaster is a solid performer with a decent price the newer reg is alot better than what they ran on the bushy but takes a little time to break in. Several FS7 owners in my area all have kept the ICD reg & had no issues playing a couple tourneys a month. After getting my grubby paws on one I was sold. If your willing to spend a little more the Lasoya PM comes with a bunch of extras.

Pyroboy597
03-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Ions. If you get one, make sure the guy at the store shows you that it works first. SP made some bad ones that just are kinda screwy, but if you get a good one it wont let you down.

craltal
03-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Pm me with your price range, we can discuss. I won't violate MAP in an open forum but can most likely get you a very good price on new product

SCpoloRicker
03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Pyro:

I won't purchase SP products. I have in the past (shoebox), but I won't again.

craltal:

What do you sell? Price range... <5-600 for markers, loaders, barells, mounts, etc

Arstron
03-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Promaster would be good, as well as a used freestyle. You can pickup used freestyles any where from $350+

I would also recomend a Dragun The-One (T1), wrath, odessy style markers. Add a tboard on them and you will be set.

If you decide to go the piranha route, I can get you some aluminum trigger frames (plastic trigger though) with tboards for less then $100 each. :cheers:

Indignant
03-16-2006, 09:58 AM
rickz0r, my dad now owns the viking (traded for a camera) and he is selling it. send him a PM or something and i'll tell him to check it if you'd like.

ghostdog2019
03-16-2006, 01:08 PM
The promaster is prolly the better deal seeing as you can get them new for the price you may see a viking if your lucky. As for the performance they are very accurate and fast from what I have experienced. I have tuned and teched my teammates promaster. The ICD stock reg for the promaster is actually pretty good. +/-4 or 5. Also the promaster is compact not to mention it will shoot just as fast as a viking in semi. It also does pretty well on ramping for those who like that. As for durability the viking is the winner there but the promaster seems to hold up to alot of abuse. Lets just say this is my teammates first higher class gun coming from a spyder, so he gets a little rough with it. Nothing some DOW 33 and TLC cant fix. Just my .02

-Mike