PDA

View Full Version : Question on the legality of something

Pyroboy597
03-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Is it illegal to simply login using someone else's Username and password on a forum/FTP server? I am in a struggle with this older guy who is just a real pain in the arse... complained to my ISP that I 'hacked' into their forums and server when all I did was use the password that someone gave me, logged in, then left. Nothing changed, nothign harmed. He claims he is filing a criminal lawsuit against me, not sure what for but most likely for 'hacking'

Uhh? Opinions?

magman007
03-18-2006, 12:44 PM
just admit it, you went to a pron site on someones name didnt you?

Pyroboy597
03-18-2006, 01:22 PM
No, it was actually just a clan forum and a clan's FTP server.

Eagle
03-18-2006, 02:45 PM
well, if the person who owns the login that you used allowed you to do so, then no, it isn't hacking. Other than that, I don't know about the legality.

MantisMag
03-18-2006, 04:11 PM
well if you really didn't do anything then it's unlikely there's any criminal statute you can be prosecuted under. he could file a frivolous suit forcing you to either show up in court or get a lawyer to handle getting it dismissed before that. however civil suits are another matter. i don't see as much would come of it if you didn't do anything but it seems anything can be filed under the DMCA these days. once again the end result would be little to nothing but it will be a huge hassle.

who gave this password to you and who does it belong to?

Pyroboy597
03-18-2006, 04:53 PM
It belongs to the admin on the forum, and someone in my gaming clan figured it out on his own and gave it to me. I did not do anything, just logged in and out.

dave p
03-18-2006, 04:58 PM
It belongs to the admin on the forum, and someone in my gaming clan figured it out on his own and gave it to me. I did not do anything, just logged in and out.

was it your account? no. you are in the wrong, end of story. its pretty simple, if its not yours, dont touch it. people are stupid.

Glickman
03-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Is it illegal to simply login using someone else's Username and password on a forum/FTP server? I am in a struggle with this older guy who is just a real pain in the arse... complained to my ISP that I 'hacked' into their forums and server when all I did was use the password that someone gave me, logged in, then left. Nothing changed, nothign harmed. He claims he is filing a criminal lawsuit against me, not sure what for but most likely for 'hacking'

Uhh? Opinions?

is it illegal to break into a house but not take anything? ;)

my suggestion would be to apologize, and tell the truth. it seems you know that you were not supposed to have access, so the ball is really in his court.

you are lucky that the admin didnt decide to have some fun with your ip address though :D

Steelrat
03-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah, criminal charges, right. I'm sure the FBI is going to get right on it :rofl:

Glickman
03-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, criminal charges, right. I'm sure the FBI is going to get right on it :rofl:

probably not, but that doesnt mean the guy cant take him to court just to make his parents spend boatloads of cash even if he didnt do anything. sadly there are people like that, just best if he does the right thing.

Pyroboy597
03-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Ya the guy is a total ***. He submitted a complaint to the Comcast Internet Abuse Center and they cancelled his abuse ticket because the evidence he submitted was inconclusive.

bleachit
03-18-2006, 11:29 PM
so you logged into an admins forum acct and ftp server without his permission?

considering the amount of stuff that can be messed with, you are the one who is being a total.. "arse"

dont be stupid, and dont call him names because you messed up.

the only thing the admin should be made fun of is having a password that is easily guessable

ScatterPlot
03-19-2006, 12:01 AM

That's the code an idiot would have on his luggage!

skriptal
03-19-2006, 12:10 AM
i doubt anyone will even care about anything for "hacking"

Example of somthing which happens all the time.

1:omfg you hacked my server!!
2: maybe you password should not be password
1: i am contacting the FBI

1: FBI person 2 hacked my server.
FBI: STFU NOOB we have better stuff to do.
1: *tear*

stuff like this happens all the time....

Recon by Fire
03-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Oh noes!!!1!! The FBI! LOL Yeah, they will really be concerned over unauthorized access to a gaming clan server. :rofl:

MantisMag
03-19-2006, 12:33 PM
well if the password was not freely given on the part of the owner then you are in a bit of trouble. however if the isp dismissed his claims as inconclusive i doubt he'd be able to prove it in court, criminal or civil. for future reference don't be so stupid. gaining access where you are not supposed to is against the law. don't come here and whine because someone is mean enough to punish you for doing something you're not supposed to. there's a big difference between unprotected and poorly protected. "hacking" into something that is unprotected you can make the argument that it was publicly accessible and you weren't doing anything wrong. something that is password protected is clearly off limits and illegal. also you don't have to damage anything or make use of the services for it to be illegal. simply accessing data that you are not supposed to is against the law. not a serious crime if the data was not particularly important or confidential but a crime nonetheless.

seeing as you didn't do anything with the login the fines would be pretty minor. but if he had more evidence, make no mistake, you would be prosecuted. the fine would be small and there wouldn't be any jailtime involved for something this stupid and minor. hardly worth the effort but he'd be completely within his rights to seek it.

Lohman446
03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
You have probably violated a criminal law. However, did you do any damage? Yes it can be compared to breaking into a house and not taking anything, but lets be serious. Noone is seriously going to press it. He can try to get the district attorney to take the time to file an action against you on his behalf, but he cannot directly do it. Considering that you would likely not have anything but a slap on the wrist (you did it for "prank" reasons at most and not to steal identity, commit fraud, etc.) I doubt they would even pursue.

As to civil action, what course of action is he going to seek in court. A court order telling you not to do it again. Punitive damages against an individuals are unlikely at most, and there were no "real" damages (I assume). I'd apologize and then ask him to quit contacting you except by certified letter, and point him to various harrassment laws if he does.

Glickman
03-20-2006, 10:04 AM
just consider yourself warned i guess, because if it was me i would look at my ip logger and giggle a little ;)

Pyroboy597
03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
First off, Mantis I am not here to whine about anything.

Second, yes nothing was damaged, touched, editted, changed, whatever term you choose to use, it did not happen.

SCpoloRicker
03-20-2006, 09:20 PM

I work for the FBI, so I'm really getting a kick out of most of these replies...

Glickman
03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
I work for the FBI, so I'm really getting a kick out of most of these replies...

i cant belive the "basic" title is "special agent" :clap: :clap: :clap:

they are on my list of possiblities after i finish my masters in IT

you would enjoy RIT there pyro, they encourage this stuff- well, to a degree ;)

Pyroboy597
03-20-2006, 09:59 PM

Which ones? lol