PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency: Lapco (BS) vs. DYE Aluminum

Smoken
12-16-2001, 05:15 PM
I just got $50 bucks for christmas and am considering a Lapco Bigshot barrel for my Minimag. I already have a DYE Aluminum for it though. I have a 47cu.in. Flatline. Because of my small tank, I would like an efficient barrel. I know the Lapco is a very efficient barrel b/c I had one on my Spyder. My question is, how much more effficient would it be than my DYE? (I want a # of shots per tank kind of answer please)(I usually shoot PMI Premium paintballs.)

Cha0tic
12-16-2001, 05:57 PM
dye is not very efficient. it has straight porting down about half the barrel.

DefiantGuy3901
12-16-2001, 06:11 PM
Lapcos are well known for their little porting and in turn good gas usage, they are also known for their loudness, but it's no problem. ( i own a big shot, very good barrel)

Miscue
12-16-2001, 06:47 PM
The Lapco is very efficient, the DYE is not. Although the DYE is quieter.

beachboy016
12-16-2001, 07:44 PM
Yeah go with the lapco. I think they are such better barrels. I was p-balling today with my Spyder with PMI and it had an almost perfect fit on the dye but it rolled through the lapco. The Dye broke many balls and didn't clean out easily. The Lapco broke one, and within two shoots it was shooting darts again.

Slapp
12-17-2001, 04:51 PM
The longer the non-ported section of the barrel is, the greater the efficiency of the barrel provided you have a good paint to barrel match. A Dye 12" barrel has porting that runs further down the barrel than a Lapco 12" (less functional barrel length) and therefore you will need just a bit more air pressure with the Dye to drive the ball velocity to the same fps. Provided you have the same bore on the barrels you could always opt to go with a slightly longer Dye such as a 14" that should get you about the same efficiency (and functional barrel length) as a Lapco 12" plus it will be a bit quieter than the Lapco. Lapco's are noted for being efficient because in a 12" Lapco barrel you are getting about 11.5" of non-ported barrel where with a Dye 12" barrel you are only getting about 10" or so. Nothing particularly magic about either brand really, both are well made and well honed.

Sorry I can't offer you any idea of how many shots per tank you should get for different types of barrels.

Puddleglum
12-17-2001, 05:09 PM
Would an RT Stock be a pretty good barrel? Better than the Dye Aluminum?

PyRo
12-17-2001, 06:01 PM
Stock barrels are good. The bore on them is .691 though, so you cannot shoot real small paints.

Wc Keep
12-17-2001, 06:11 PM
hey i got a lapco bigshot with my mag and at my field they only sell team colors and polar ice which do you think i should use with my bigshot?