PDA

View Full Version : Rent or Buy?

I'll Shoot You
03-20-2006, 07:16 AM
I'll be paintballing over the summer, but i was wondering should i rent or buy my equitment? What do they have and how much does it usually cost? What do you do and wear?

buzzboy
03-20-2006, 07:21 AM
To me it depends how many times you plan to play over the summer. If you plan to play a lot I would invest in one of those tippmann or spyder package deals.

Most places that rent that I have seen use like tippmann pro/carbines, tippmann 98's and one place had piranahs.

Speedballer666
03-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Rent everything your first game, then if you like the sport enough to devote at least a few hundred dollars to it go ahead and buy a marker.

craltal
03-20-2006, 10:45 AM
realize that with rentals, they are usually low end guns that were bought because they will be cheap to fix when they break, because they will.

I agree that first time you play, rent or borrow from a friend. If you are planning on playing more frequently, look into buying your own

As for clothing, I usually play in the woods so I wear digital camo that I got from the army surplus, but have a paintball jersey for some other stuff, but usually wear BDU pants because they wash well and I like the pockets. Wear something that is comfortable to crawl and run in, something you don't mind getting dirty and possibly stained (some paints are quite thick and can stain)

Wrap something around your neck. Trust me, only one area hurts more than getting shot in the Adam's apple. Speaking of which, wear a cup, especially if you are playing speedball, there are WAY too many balls in the air to risk it.

If you are playing speedball with a rental against some people with higher end guns, expect to feel outgunned because they will most likely be able to put more paint in the air faster than you can.

Dharma punk
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
realize that with rentals, they are usually low end guns that were bought because they will be cheap to fix when they break, because they will.

I agree that first time you play, rent or borrow from a friend. If you are planning on playing more frequently, look into buying your own

As for clothing, I usually play in the woods so I wear digital camo that I got from the army surplus, but have a paintball jersey for some other stuff, but usually wear BDU pants because they wash well and I like the pockets. Wear something that is comfortable to crawl and run in, something you don't mind getting dirty and possibly stained (some paints are quite thick and can stain)

Wrap something around your neck. Trust me, only one area hurts more than getting shot in the Adam's apple. Speaking of which, wear a cup, especially if you are playing speedball, there are WAY too many balls in the air to risk it.

If you are playing speedball with a rental against some people with higher end guns, expect to feel outgunned because they will most likely be able to put more paint in the air faster than you can.

That pretty much sums it up. I don't wrap my neck or wear a cup, but I'm "agg" or something. LOL

VFX_Fenix
03-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I'd advise, first and foremost as was mentioned before, rent everything the first, or even second time you go out. After that, if you decide you still want to keep playing, buy yourself a good quality GOGGLE SYSTEM. Nothing will ruin your day more than crummy gogs.

Top picks-
JT Pro-Shield (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=isHei8jsvYvefozyYjAeI8IlNW6nghGmwok=?Pro ductID=ZdXAqArb3xMAAAEIJDxE1gbm) (Formerly known as JT Spectra)
V-Force Shield (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=isHei8jsvYvefozyYjAeI8IlNW6nghGmwok=?Pro ductID=VgesFAY7834AAAD3aEilA_2t)
RAVEN NVX (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=isHei8jsvYvefozyYjAeI8IlNW6nghGmwok=?Cat egoryName=paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-goggles-raven-goggles)

Yes, yes I know there are some better systems out there from a bunch of companies but these are all systems I've owned, they're cheap, and they're great on the field.

After you've played a bit more (your disgretion) then look into buying the rest of your set-up.

Cost -
Expect Field fee to be in the area of $15-20/day depending on where you are, I know there are some fields that'll let you rock for $5 and other's that'll, well... make you significantly lighter in the wallet. Rentals are usually $10+ on top of that.

Paint, if you can bring your own can cost anywhere from $10 per bag to $20 per bag (500 balls). Field paint is usually, but not always, more expensive, especially if the field is Field Paint Only (something to check into before arriving with a case of internet purchased fun). Do some research, I tend to encourage buying mid-grade paints (RP Premium, Midnight, X-Ball Bronze, etc.) Stuff that's generally right around $45/case.

Air - With rentals all day CO2/Air is usually included in the rental. CO2 fills are around $5 per, more or less depending on what size tank you have and where you live (Around where I live it's $8 for a 20oz. fill) If you're running HPA/Compressed Air then you're looking at around $3/fill or something like $10 for all day air.

Clothing - Covering your entire body is generally a good idea. A light weight long sleeved shirt (like an athletic jersey if you already own one or something like UnderArmor/DriStar with a T-Shirt over the top) and a pair of lightweight long pants, ummm... if you don't have anything that fits this description then you can always wear jeans or go to your local Surplus store and buy some BDU trousers (I like the black ones personally). Good footwear, hiking boots at the very least if you don't have cleats, that will give you support and traction on the field (unless you're going indoors then cleats aren't a good idea). Gloves, optional but handy some cheap armored gloves can be had for $10 but don't feel you need to buy some. Something to go 'round the neck, old bandanas are great though I admit I don't play with something around my own neck. A cup to keep the boys safe. Lastly, if you really want to splurge a little, knee pads (generally worn under the pants), BIKE brand work well.

General advice -

Show-up a little earlier than the place opens, this'll let you snag valuable realestate at a table under a tree, give you a chance to look at the field, and maybe even talk to some people before things get busy. Bring your own source of hydration, before you get to the field snag a gallon of water, you'll thank me later, and remember to take a swig every now and again, if you feel thirsty, drink slowly but drink a good ammount. It's best if you have some plans for lunch so long as I'm on the subject, kinda, and you can either get field food (some fields don't have a lunch though), bring your own, or have someone who'll be bringing to you. If you're under 18 don't just get dropped by your ride, have someone old enough hang around to sign as a guardian on your waver. Always, always bring a little more cash than you think you'll need to cover things like extra paint/air/snacks.

PLaying -

Don't worry about what game you'll be playing, rec-ball is rec-ball when you start out and a good field should split the beginners off from the experienced players. If experienced players are on the field with you they'll likely tell you were to go and what to do, it's up to you to decide if you want to follow their instructions, but generally if they're givign you a place to go, it might be a good idea to go there. The reason is two-fold, first, it gets you moving, second, it keeps you from doubling up in a bunker with someone else. If you're sharing a bunker, make plans to go somewhere else. When you get shot, stick your gun up and walk off the field, then watch the rest of the game and absorb. Just don't pick-up the nasty habbits of arguing with refs, whiping, or throwing tantrums. Lastly HAVE FUN!!!!!

bentothejam1n
03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
If you end up buying a gun, try to stay away from Brass Eagle. Even though Brass Eagle (commonly referred to as BE) is cheap, it wont last long at all. Just get a tippmann or a spyder but preferably a tippmann

REDRT
03-20-2006, 04:51 PM
I rented a marker the very first outing. I believe that is a pretty good idea for the first timer. I liked the game so I bought my own equipment there after. I got into the sport with a mechanical spyder, a few pods, pod pack, a mask, a gravity hopper, and a 20oz Co2 bottle.
That got me going for a little while till I took out a loan for my first mag. Yes a actual loan :eek: . They were why more costly back in the day. The Red smear classic RT cost me a few hundred more than my first car. :eek:

RoamingStorm
03-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Id suggest an ion for a beginners gun, you can pick one up here on ao for about the same price as a new a-5

FARMER00
03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd advise, first and foremost as was mentioned before, rent everything the first, or even second time you go out. After that, if you decide you still want to keep playing, buy yourself a good quality GOGGLE SYSTEM. Nothing will ruin your day more than crummy gogs.

Top picks-
JT Pro-Shield (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=isHei8jsvYvefozyYjAeI8IlNW6nghGmwok=?Pro ductID=ZdXAqArb3xMAAAEIJDxE1gbm) (Formerly known as JT Spectra)
V-Force Shield (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=isHei8jsvYvefozyYjAeI8IlNW6nghGmwok=?Pro ductID=VgesFAY7834AAAD3aEilA_2t)
RAVEN NVX (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=isHei8jsvYvefozyYjAeI8IlNW6nghGmwok=?Cat egoryName=paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-goggles-raven-goggles)

Yes, yes I know there are some better systems out there from a bunch of companies but these are all systems I've owned, they're cheap, and they're great on the field.

After you've played a bit more (your disgretion) then look into buying the rest of your set-up.

Cost -
Expect Field fee to be in the area of $15-20/day depending on where you are, I know there are some fields that'll let you rock for $5 and other's that'll, well... make you significantly lighter in the wallet. Rentals are usually $10+ on top of that.

Paint, if you can bring your own can cost anywhere from $10 per bag to $20 per bag (500 balls). Field paint is usually, but not always, more expensive, especially if the field is Field Paint Only (something to check into before arriving with a case of internet purchased fun). Do some research, I tend to encourage buying mid-grade paints (RP Premium, Midnight, X-Ball Bronze, etc.) Stuff that's generally right around $45/case.

Air - With rentals all day CO2/Air is usually included in the rental. CO2 fills are around $5 per, more or less depending on what size tank you have and where you live (Around where I live it's $8 for a 20oz. fill) If you're running HPA/Compressed Air then you're looking at around $3/fill or something like $10 for all day air.

Clothing - Covering your entire body is generally a good idea. A light weight long sleeved shirt (like an athletic jersey if you already own one or something like UnderArmor/DriStar with a T-Shirt over the top) and a pair of lightweight long pants, ummm... if you don't have anything that fits this description then you can always wear jeans or go to your local Surplus store and buy some BDU trousers (I like the black ones personally). Good footwear, hiking boots at the very least if you don't have cleats, that will give you support and traction on the field (unless you're going indoors then cleats aren't a good idea). Gloves, optional but handy some cheap armored gloves can be had for $10 but don't feel you need to buy some. Something to go 'round the neck, old bandanas are great though I admit I don't play with something around my own neck. A cup to keep the boys safe. Lastly, if you really want to splurge a little, knee pads (generally worn under the pants), BIKE brand work well.

General advice -

Show-up a little earlier than the place opens, this'll let you snag valuable realestate at a table under a tree, give you a chance to look at the field, and maybe even talk to some people before things get busy. Bring your own source of hydration, before you get to the field snag a gallon of water, you'll thank me later, and remember to take a swig every now and again, if you feel thirsty, drink slowly but drink a good ammount. It's best if you have some plans for lunch so long as I'm on the subject, kinda, and you can either get field food (some fields don't have a lunch though), bring your own, or have someone who'll be bringing to you. If you're under 18 don't just get dropped by your ride, have someone old enough hang around to sign as a guardian on your waver. Always, always bring a little more cash than you think you'll need to cover things like extra paint/air/snacks.

PLaying -

Don't worry about what game you'll be playing, rec-ball is rec-ball when you start out and a good field should split the beginners off from the experienced players. If experienced players are on the field with you they'll likely tell you were to go and what to do, it's up to you to decide if you want to follow their instructions, but generally if they're givign you a place to go, it might be a good idea to go there. The reason is two-fold, first, it gets you moving, second, it keeps you from doubling up in a bunker with someone else. If you're sharing a bunker, make plans to go somewhere else. When you get shot, stick your gun up and walk off the field, then watch the rest of the game and absorb. Just don't pick-up the nasty habbits of arguing with refs, whiping, or throwing tantrums. Lastly HAVE FUN!!!!!

Everything he said i agree with except for the goggles the Vforce Vantage is about $20-30 depending on where you go and offer great protection and are the most comfortable with glasses as for a gun if you have the money get a Spyder Imagine. Tippmanns are good but you may decide to play speedball (DO NOT GET A PIRANAHA UNLESS YOU NEVER WANT TO STOP FIXING IT). Get a 14oz C02 tank and a 12v revvy. Just were clothes that you dont care if they get dirty i wear only t shirt and shorts.

all this is affordable and long lasting

marpat
03-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Id suggest an ion for a beginners gun, you can pick one up here on ao for about the same price as a new a-5

Acutally since you are on the mag forum.. buy a classic w/ lvl 10 could be done under the cost of an ion.

and u can run CO2 or HPA in it .

jenarelJAM
03-20-2006, 05:43 PM
I too would advise buying a spyder as yuor first gun if you are interested, but not sure yet. Reason? Because they are around $100 and with goggles, tank, hopper, and general random accessories, it will cist you aroun $180. Spending more than that is somewhat of a waste if you never get beyond basic recball, and spending less will not allow you to fully experience paintball. I would adise the spyder imagine as well. It is very simple, easy to deal with, and (with an easy do-it-yourself trigger mod) you can learn to walk the trigger and get ready for a faster marker. It was my first(sorta) marker, and I'm 100% sure I made the right decision. When I upgraded to a new gun, I sold it(and goggles tank hopper, etc.) for $120, meaning I spent around a total of $60 to have my own, better than rental, gun, for 10 days of play or so. This is better than rental fees, gives you a great feeling owning you own gun, and you will get to be part of the non-rental crowd.
I'd say go for it.

I'll Shoot You
03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
If i like the sport, which i should since i like airsoft, then i'm getting the Tippmann 98 Custom.

VFX_Fenix
03-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Everything he said i agree with except for the goggles the Vforce Vantage is about $20-30 depending on where you go and offer great protection and are the most comfortable with glasses....

I didn't include the Vantage because it's based on the Armor lense (and I didn't particularly like the Armor for periferial vision) also because I've never owned a Vantage. :D

jenarelJAM
03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
98c's are great guns, you can't go wrong with them. The reason I would suggest an e-spyder over them is that:
1. The e-spyder will be around $100 cheaper
2. The e-spyder will allow you to learn how to walk the trigger, and it will be colorful like all those pretty DM's and other speedball markers (Unless you're going for woodsball effect).
3. Your 98c will never break. Although many people believe this to be great, I believe that if you don't learn how to tech your marker, you won't be ready for the next thing. The low maintenence of a spyder will help you learn about teching your own marker, but it is simple enough that you should be able to fix any problems(short of Arnold Schwarcheneger bending it into a circle) within 5-10 minutes.

If you go the 98c route, you will be happy. The above should not be taken as criticisms. I have seen several friends buy 98cs, be completely happy with them(other than the stock barrel, yuck) and eventually gone on to the next gun. I have also seen friends who buy the guns from the aforementioned friends and they decide that it's too slow, that they can't keep up with their friends newer guns, and they borrow guns instead of playing with their own. Depends on you really. Whichever way you chose, hope you're happy.

bentothejam1n
03-20-2006, 09:50 PM
1. The e-spyder will be around $100 cheaper
WHAT????
spyder (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=V1zK-dYga-XKeZI_PQEKUdz0nhaKzQ9qHxQ=?ProductID=L83AqArbbkYAA AEDASTO1WtJ)
98c (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=V1zK-dYga-XKeZI_PQEKUdz0nhaKzQ9qHxQ=?ProductID=L83AqArbbkYAA AEDASTO1WtJ)
The tippmann is 125 (add it to your cart and it will show the price) and the spyder is 134. I'm not seeing where you get $100 in the difference. Although i would rather get the spyder if i had to choose between the two just becasue thats a great deal

3. Your 98c will never break. Although many people believe this to be great, I believe that if you don't learn how to tech your marker, you won't be ready for the next thing. The low maintenence of a spyder will help you learn about teching your own marker, but it is simple enough that you should be able to fix any problems(short of Arnold Schwarcheneger bending it into a circle) within 5-10 minutes
Teching a spyder is just replacing the bolt every once in awhile. If you clean your gun like you're supposed to, then you should know how everything works and you would get the same experience as teching a gun. Even so most people just take their high end to an airsmith any ways

minimag03
03-20-2006, 11:11 PM
I believe a Spyder is the best beginner marker today. Why?
A) simple design with field strip (simplier than a Custom 98)
B) They will require a tad bit more maitnence than an 98, but it teachs you how to work with a marker
C) The Spyder is basicly the design of a lot of the highend markers today like a Intimidator, Angel, Nerve, etc. So the experience you gain will probably carry over to the next level of marker you buy.

punkncat
03-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Definitely rent the first game or two. Ask a few people at the field to shoot their markers. Most people are glad to let you check out their equipment.

All Spyders and clones are essentially the same, don't be fooled by gimmicks.Tippmans are super rugged and reliable on CO2 and HPA. They also will not require the attention that a Spyder will. Can't go wrong with a Tippy as your first marker.

As far as goggles go, find a set of THERMAL goggles that fit well and you like. All the rest is hype. I would suggest buying a set of goggles before playing. Rentals are always really crappy. There is nothing that will affect your game in a more negative way than not being able to see.

Also the advice above about water is golden.

VFX_Fenix
03-20-2006, 11:33 PM
A thought on firepower....

In terms of Bang for your buck, Spyders are difficult to beat for the firepower they offer for their price. This is true of most stacked blowback (Spyder Clones) guns. Upgrade paths for the Spyder are numerous and generally cheap.

I do, however STRONGLY encourage new players to avoid e-guns until they feel comfortable with the way the game is played and they have a base of skills developed around shooting, and shooting well.

There comes a point for every player when they feel the need for more firepower. This is normal, and I believe it is something to be explored. There's a stigma that's formed that the gun will make the player, this has more or less always been the case since we see people who play the game well (NPPL/XBall) and look to them for what's the best gear you can have. For a while it was the AutoCocker/Mag, now it's a Timmy/DMX/PMX/Shocker/Ego/Etc.

I can say with almost certanty that any Pro/Semi-Pro team with Classic Spyders would be able to beat the majority of the paintball playing community at large reguardless of gear. The issue isn't what gun you have, even a rank amature can drive a Lambo Diablo around a test track, but a professional driver will be able to put that same car 'round the track faster and safer than the amature ever could.

Watch TopGear, look at the Celebrity laps and compare them to the pro-driver laps in their reasonably priced compact car.

The biggest difference between a new player and one that's played for the last 10 years is largely experience and skill base.

Firepower is not a skill, but it does tend to give quick results, however I firmly believe that people who take to e-guns too early will peak faster and lower than those that wait and periodically regress back to a lower level of firepower.

pachytriton
03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
If you decide to buy, I'd have to say get a used classic mag. I recently built one as a backup from parts bought on ao for ~$75. They are reliable, simple, easy maintanance, compact, as consistant and accurate as any gun on the market, have very little kick (compared to blowbacks), and cheap. They may not be too fast, but beginners should start out a little slower to develop their skills. Buying used isn't an issue with them since they are built like a tank. A classic was my second gun, it outpreformed my tippmann 98 in every way. I wished I had started with a mag.

robnix
03-21-2006, 12:15 AM
I'll be paintballing over the summer, but i was wondering should i rent or buy my equitment? What do they have and how much does it usually cost? What do you do and wear?

I know it's been said, but I'll reiterate it. At a minimum, buy a decent THERMAL mask for yourself. This is the single best thing you can do. I can't describe how frustrating it is to be in the woods on a damp and cool day hunkered down behind a bunker because you can't see a thing since that cheap mask you rented fogged up on you.

I'll also second (third) getting a used classic mag. Reliable, accurate, once it's chronoed will stay chronoed, and easy to maintain.

I'll Shoot You
03-21-2006, 03:31 PM
My friends paintball but i've rather learn before i paintball with them. My friend said the two main equitment i need is mask and neck guard.
Also, should i replace the stock 98C barrel?
Yeah my friend has a couple of spyders. He doesnt have the $75 cheap spyder he has the ones that cost like $250.
Well, i'm going to buy a new mask and neckguard not just for paintball, but for airsoft too. Protection is my main goal because if i dont have protection and i die or get hurt then how am i suppose to play? lol
I wont be playing any speedball games. Too fast pace and scary lol. I rather snipe and be stealth.
Oh yeah, about asking people to shoot their markers for me, i've a feeling they will if i ask because who doesnt want to show off their guns?

I'll Shoot You
03-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Also, where can i get the best neck guard (Cheapest i've seen is $5 and most expensive is $10 so i'm expecting the best one to be like $20) Also, i've been looking for a reasonable mask and i've seen one for $35 which seems to be perfect. I've looking to spend about $40 on a mask so recommend me a good one please. Please give me a site to order each or both from. Thank you all

Chaos_Theory!
03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
As a lot of other people have suggest id say rent first and then buy your own gear depending on how much ya like the sport and how much your going to play.

If at all interested i have an ion i need to get rid of for pretty dang cheap (way less than a stock ion). Has a new barrel, trigger, mini drop, and on/off.

91Foxtrot
03-21-2006, 09:48 PM
VFX says that gloves are optional, but the 68-caliber scar on my left hand highly recommends them...

jenarelJAM
03-21-2006, 09:54 PM
WHAT????
spyder (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=V1zK-dYga-XKeZI_PQEKUdz0nhaKzQ9qHxQ=?ProductID=L83AqArbbkYAA AEDASTO1WtJ)
98c (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=V1zK-dYga-XKeZI_PQEKUdz0nhaKzQ9qHxQ=?ProductID=L83AqArbbkYAA AEDASTO1WtJ)
The tippmann is 125 (add it to your cart and it will show the price) and the spyder is 134. I'm not seeing where you get $100 in the difference. Although i would rather get the spyder if i had to choose between the two just becasue thats a great deal

Teching a spyder is just replacing the bolt every once in awhile. If you clean your gun like you're supposed to, then you should know how everything works and you would get the same experience as teching a gun. Even so most people just take their high end to an airsmith any ways
Sorry, i've been out of the paintball community for awhile, last time I checked(when my friends bought theres) 98c was around $220 and the spyder imagine(which is no longer sold) was $120.
The difference now is $45, between the $125 for the 98c, and the $80 for this:
E-Spyder (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=QB6WJqLfKxiWrub_-9BWjqgWPtZq0nuVCFY=?ProductID=aSesFAY7hPMAAAD7JwKI TX7N#)
You picked an upgraded spyder, where the minimum would be sufficient. I rarely had a problem with my imagine, and it was basicly the same as the pilot. Even without the acs bolt or eyes, the only time I had problems with breaks was when i put my new forcefed loader on and it pushed past the detents. The less you spend on your first marker, the more you will have for your next marker, or whatever you choose to spend your money on. I would not skip out on the mask, but I think that after you use your neck protector a few times, you will notice that it is too hot. I'm constantly trying to cool myself off when I paintball. It's a very hot sport. I don't wear anything extra if I don't have to.

VFX says that gloves are optional, but the 68-caliber scar on my left hand highly recommends them...
And I reccomend finding a pair of old gloves, and cutting the fingers out of them.

I'll Shoot You
03-21-2006, 10:53 PM
I wanted to buy the mask and neck guard for when i play airsoft. I always wore safety glasses. 98c for me not changing my mind.

Coralis
03-22-2006, 12:06 AM
If you get a 98C just remember . Do NOT under any circumstances take it apart unless you have a good working knowledge of the gun, they can be a real PITA to put back together.

ultralight
03-22-2006, 12:45 AM
you should really try to find a paintball store near you and ask them to try on a few different masks before buying one online. if you buy it online, you may not like the fit, field of vision, or ammount of protection it offer. just go in and ask to try a few on, they should be more than helpful. just don't say anything about buying online, they hate that.

as for the 98c, do the same thing, go to a field, and ask to try out a few of their used markers. they should have a spyder, 98c, and a mag or two. pay for a bag of paint and some air and try them all out. they all have advantages and disadvantages.

you can make your own neck guard. just go to your local craft/sewing store and pick up a sheet of the 1/4" thick colored craft foam (it comes in black). you can cut about 2 neck guards out of it and then just get some 1" wide nylon srap material and a buckle. it's very easy, you get exactly the fit you want and it only costs about $3.

I'll Shoot You
03-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Blah, i'm lazy.

Dharma punk
03-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Blah, i'm lazy.

That may be the case, but it is well worth your time to try a few on before you buy. I was planning on gettting a Dye Invision and went to try it out first. Glad I did, I feel it is too small for my liking. I tried on a profiler and I love it. Great FOV, fits great, and no fogging as of yet. I got the mask last summer.

I'll Shoot You
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
i thought most mask fits all. like neckguard most are one size fit all

Dharma punk
03-22-2006, 03:20 PM
They are all pretty much one size fits all, but they all have different coverage and field of view characteristics. I started with a V-force shield and it had way less of a peripheral FOV than the Profiler.

FARMER00
03-22-2006, 08:10 PM
My friends paintball but i've rather learn before i paintball with them. My friend said the two main equitment i need is mask and neck guard.
Also, should i replace the stock 98C barrel?
Yeah my friend has a couple of spyders. He doesnt have the $75 cheap spyder he has the ones that cost like $250.
Well, i'm going to buy a new mask and neckguard not just for paintball, but for airsoft too. Protection is my main goal because if i dont have protection and i die or get hurt then how am i suppose to play? lol
I wont be playing any speedball games. Too fast pace and scary lol. I rather snipe and be stealth.
Oh yeah, about asking people to shoot their markers for me, i've a feeling they will if i ask because who doesnt want to show off their guns?

dont just think sniping is easy.Great skill such as hiding and being quiet and only needing to shoot once to hit some one is achieved be practice. there will always be someone better then you. who is going to shoot you when you go wrong. I dont mean to discourage you but I hate it when people think it is really easy to snipe and think that anyone can do it.

PS. Im a sniper you can ask for advise if you want

I'll Shoot You
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
lol i never said i was the best, but when it comes to airsoft i'm pretty good.