PDA

View Full Version : Questions about original R/T

Aeronautica86
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi guys, I've been out of paintball for about 2 years, but played for ~7 years before that. I used to shoot a tricked out 'cocker, but have since sold it. The other gun I've always liked was the original automag R/T, but I don't know a whole lot about it or where I can still find one. I'm looking to get back into the game this spring, and would go for the R/T Pro, but for some reason I just really like the looks of the original R/T better.

My plan would be to get an all black original R/T and put on a Lvl 10 bolt and Intelliframe double trigger grip and probably another Freak Barrel system. I have a couple questions though as I'm not extremely familiar with the Automag line.

First, can the original R/T be equipped with a vertical feed body?

I know the ULE body is a vert feed, but cannot be fitted to the original R/T. Are the only advantages to the ULE the vert feed and 'cocker barrel threading?

Are there any major advantages of the X-valve over the original R/T valve? (In other words is there a significant advantage in going with the R/T Pro over the Original version?)

Finally, I have a question about the pic I have below. Is the thing that I circled simply a gas-thru foregrip or is it an inline regulator? If it is just a gas-thru, can you use an inline reg in its place and is there a major advantage to this on the Automag? If it is a regulator, is there any reason to upgrade it to an aftermarket one?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/aeronautica86/10_3a.jpg

Heres a pic of my previous setup just for fun; Shocktech hinge double trigger frame with DYE stickys, Shocktech Ram, KAPP regulator, KAPP 3-way, KAPP beavertail, ANS quick pull Venturi bolt, Benchmark drop forward cradle, and a Smart Parts Freak barrel system:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/aeronautica86/pic3_0001.jpg

P.S. If anyone has a black original R/T they are looking to sell, let me know.

Dayspring
03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
no, you can't put a vert body on there without doing the Xvalve/ULE body swap.

Is there a benefit to a ULE body? it's light, has cocker threads and looks nice. That's about it.

The benefit of using the Xvalve over the original RT is standard parts. The RT was kinda quirky & tended to leak around the banjo bolt. Plus, the original RT can't take the ULT trigger without modification.

The circled portion is a gas through. And no, you don't want to put an additional reg on there. You can actually HURT the performance of the valve. (which has a built in reg)

Aeronautica86
03-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

The AGD website shows an Intelliframe grip for the original R/T, I assume this one will fit without modifications.

These leaks on the RT valve, are they fairly simple to fix (o-rings and teflon etc) or are they problems that will cause me to end up cussing at my gun and leaving the field early every time I play? So long as I keep plenty of spare parts and get to know the workings of the RT valve can these leaks be fixed quickly?

BigEvil
03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Your probably best to pick up a newer model RT pro or one of the custom RT markers. Look around in the dealers forum. Talk to Tunaman and Rogue Factor.

REDRT
03-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

The AGD website shows an Intelliframe grip for the original R/T, I assume this one will fit without modifications.

These leaks on the RT valve, are they fairly simple to fix (o-rings and teflon etc) or are they problems that will cause me to end up cussing at my gun and leaving the field early every time I play? So long as I keep plenty of spare parts and get to know the workings of the RT valve can these leaks be fixed quickly?

The Classic Rt isn't any less reliable than any other mag and can be fixed in the field easily. All leaks that may come up is solved 9 times out of 10 with a new O-ring. Dayspring said ealier,"the Banjo bolt is a tad quirky" The only mag the have it do to the gas thru rail design. I'd suggest keeping a few o-ring for the banjo bolt on hand. Even still after the many years of owning a Classic Rt, I still manage to damage one from time to time. The marker is heavier. Kind of like a old school mech cocker. There isn't an over abundant of mods for it. The I-frame from AGD for the Classic RT is still available. And yes it just bolts on. I threw a Doc Nickel barrel adaptor in mine to use cocker threaded barrels. Lvl10 of coarse. I will sometime this year send the valve of for the mill work so I can use the ULT. I really like the ULT, some don't. If a little heavier of a marker and having power feed instead of vertical feed doesn't bother you then The Classic RT is great. The pro you have more options and it is lighter. Most people just get a Rtpro these days. I myself prefer the Classic RT over the newest RTs. I have always felt it was of a higher standard.

Aeronautica86
03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Sounds like I'll stick with trying to get a Classic R/T. I really like the look alot better, and I don't mind having a heavier marker. I'd like a vert feed, but my previous cocker didn't have one and it never caused any problems, and of course the cocker was on the heavier side too so I'm used to that.

Aeronautica86
03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, I just bought a nice looking all black Classic R/T right here in the classified. Went from research to buying in less than 12 hours ;) I can't wait to get it.

Whats the best kind of compressed air tank to use? Fixed high pressure (800ish), fixed low pressure (400ish)? I don't think I'll have the funds to spring for an adjustable at the moment, will one of the fixed types work well with the R/T?

dsrkd
03-20-2006, 11:31 PM
High pressure.
I've had good luck with PMI or Crossfire.

REDRT
03-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Well, I just bought a nice looking all black Classic R/T right here in the classified. Went from research to buying in less than 12 hours ;) I can't wait to get it.

Whats the best kind of compressed air tank to use? Fixed high pressure (800ish), fixed low pressure (400ish)? I don't think I'll have the funds to spring for an adjustable at the moment, will one of the fixed types work well with the R/T?

To get the absolute best proformance out of it. Anything high pressure adjustable. High pressure presets like crossfire, nitro duck xtreme, Guerrilla Air are some that work real well.