PDA

View Full Version : Barrel breaks at hgher rates of fire

Ohms Law
03-24-2006, 10:55 AM
I have had the problem of breaking balls down the barrel at higher rates of fire for some time now. I don't think it is the paint because at lower bps, 14 or so, I don't have any breaks. But at 16 bps and higher I have alot of barrel breaks. I am using a level 10 X valve and have a good understanding of the system. I am using a HALO hopper with fresh batteries. Is it possible that the ball is not fully loaded in the breach and is being cracked by the bolt pressing the ball against the body breach? Any thoughts?

flyingpootang
03-25-2006, 01:37 PM
I have had the problem of breaking balls down the barrel at higher rates of fire for some time now. I don't think it is the paint because at lower bps, 14 or so, I don't have any breaks. But at 16 bps and higher I have alot of barrel breaks. I am using a level 10 X valve and have a good understanding of the system. I am using a HALO hopper with fresh batteries. Is it possible that the ball is not fully loaded in the breach and is being cracked by the bolt pressing the ball against the body breach? Any thoughts?

Whats uo E over I/R (ohms law). Anyway you need to describe your marker setup in order to get an idea of what your talking about. For the basics check the ball to barrel size, if you have barrel nubbins check to see if they are not broken/sticking up, try a differnt brand of paint, try and remove all of the shims in your Lvl10

FinchMan
03-25-2006, 04:31 PM
and is your velocity creeping up with the rof? I seriously doubt that would be it, but just a though.

shades
03-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I get an occasional, what i call barrel "pop". Where the ball explodes at the end of the barrel. Its not a breach break because ther isnt any paint down the barrel.
this usually happens with old or brittle paint.

flyingpootang
03-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I get an occasional, what i call barrel "pop". Where the ball explodes at the end of the barrel. Its not a breach break because ther isnt any paint down the barrel.
this usually happens with old or brittle paint.

Change the paint it sounds like it starts to breaking when fired and then as it accelerates down the barrel it comes apart right before exitting.

Loguzzzzzz
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
I am having a similar problem with my new G7. I am sending it to the tech next week but when I described the problem to him he stated that the spring in the detent could be too stiff. Maybe your detents need to be checked, cleaned or replaced.

Just a thought.

ghost flanker
03-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I had a similar problem with my X-Valved Automag. I was using ultra brittle marballizers, and almost every time I would shoot a string at high bps, I'd break paint. The marballizers were being chopped by the Level 10 as well as breaking down the end of the barrel.

Ohms Law
03-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't think it is the ball/barrel match because I size the barrel insert for the paint I'm using by the blow test. I even go one size larger to account for the occasional large or out of round ball. I'm using a ULE body and the detents are in good shape and are inserted in the breach just enough to prevent the ball from being pushed past the detent by the HALO. I know it is not the paint because I have had paint that was very hard and bouncy break down the barrel as well. When I get a break, there is paint just past the detents in the breach and all down the barrel. Remember this is only at high rates of fire ( above 16 BPS). Any more thoughts or do we think that the level 10 bolt is not soft enough for a ball that is not fully seated in the breach.

Loguzzzzzz
03-29-2006, 12:13 PM
When I get a break, there is paint just past the detents in the breach and all down the barrel. This is the exact reason why I said it could be the detents. Clean and lube them to be sure that they are free moving.

Ohms Law
03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
This is the exact reason why I said it could be the detents. Clean and lube them to be sure that they are free moving.

They are not sticking. They move with ease.

MoeMag
03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
I had the same problem on my rig a while back…
X-valve, ULE, halo b with the victory board (I didn’t know it had one in it until a month ago), and a freak barrel.

First thing I found that the feed force on my halo was turned way high. When I would go to shoot a string it would begin feeding at full force and put 2 or 3 into the breech before the bolt was fired, thus barrel breaks.

Second my detent was not far enough in to stop the balls feeding, so I removed the o-ring and loc-tighted that thing right where it needed to be. I agree with all of /\ /\ /\. Really double-check the detent, for functionality (which sounds like its fine) and its position… is it in too far or not enough.

Third, I know it seems stupid… but tighten the field strip screw. You would not believe all the things a loose, or for that matter too tight field strip screw can do. Someone really needs to publish a torque setting for them.

And finally, if you have an adjustable reg… try using a screw in preset on it before you do anything else. My Maxflo was the base for a lot of my problems, I have since sold it to a fella who wants to try and work on it.

I joined AO at the end of last year for help regarding a very similar problem, and I have just this week gotten all my guns tuned and working properly!!! :clap: :bounce:

Good luck
:cheers: