PDA

View Full Version : Veggie oil

FARMER00
03-26-2006, 10:23 AM
I read in another forum that you can use veggie oil instead of marker oil is this true? and in another I read that you can use wd40

Cow hunter
03-26-2006, 10:33 AM
dont know about veggie oil, but WD40 will hurt things, like O-rings, which will disentagrate

rb211
03-26-2006, 10:51 AM
WD-40= BAD!!! Never heard the veggie oil one........ Personally, I wouldn't.

shades
03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
3 in 1 Oil
white bottle with red tip.
been around forever.
works great.
Three drops in your ASA and fire hundred or so shots with your barrel off at end of the day of playing.
oh yeah it inexpensive.

usagi_tetsu
03-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Air tool oil is also a popular alternative, and fairly inexpensive if I remember correctly, though a little less available than 3-in-1.

I have used WD-40, but only to clean off the gunk from old, abused markers, and removed all the o-rings before applying any WD-40. Works great as a cleaner/rust remover and general reviver of small metal parts (springs and screws), you just gotta remember to remove it totally and utterly before you put everything back together.

Vegetable oil? *shrug* Never heard or used that one. I'd be afraid it'd spoil and/or attract insects.

syl58
03-27-2006, 02:01 AM
hoppes 9 lube ok? recommended by tippmann (the one w/o solvents)orange label

ThePixelGuru
03-27-2006, 05:08 AM
You spend hundreds on a marker; why skimp on something like a $3 tube of oil to keep it working right?

Vex
03-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Gold Cup or Kermode Concepts.

egb groupie
03-27-2006, 08:36 AM
KC Trouble Free all the way! Blue for CO2, Purple for N2

I&I Sports is where they got it, and I believe a guy in the dealers forum has it too....

Surestick
03-27-2006, 03:05 PM
There are probably acids in vegetable oil that aren't in oils intended for markers. This might affect the lifespan on some parts.
I suspect that it might gel if left sitting for a period or at colder temps (CO2 use or fall/winter/spring play).
Vegetable oil also seems thicker that the paintball oils I've used which might affect the speed at which the marker can cycle.

RapidTransit
03-27-2006, 04:40 PM
An old drag racing trick used to be soy bean oil it is some slippery stuff, although it's lifespan was a trip down the 1/4 mile it would burn up rendering it useless as a lubricant.

FARMER00
03-27-2006, 09:05 PM
lube at my local store is $10 he said the anything else will void warrenty so thats y is was wondering about the viggie oil

rb211
03-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Don't turn your gun into a veggimatic. You can order it for a hell of a lot cheaper than $10. Order some KC or Gold Cup. I doubt that either will void your warranty. Sounds like he is telling you that so you will bend over and buy the oil that he's selling.

MoeMag
03-30-2006, 01:17 AM
At my horse barn, I take care of all the saddles and harnesses for shows. I get people in who have used vegetable and olive oils on their leather.

Two words… RANCID OIL.

That’s right folks. Unlike petroleum based or synthetic oil, vegetable oils have organic impurities that will go rotten and begin to smell really bad. Also because it is organic, microbes, fungi, and other nasty things really like to eat and live on it.
I will charge double if I smell rancid oil on a saddle, and cleaning a saddle starts at $35. It is not uncommon for tack that has been oiled with vegetable oil that has been put into storage, to be pulled out smelling like a dead body and covered with mold. I wont even touch that, it goes straight into the trash and I tell them to buy new equipment.
I can only imagine a similar situation after retrieving your gun after a long period in storage.

I use shocktech paraffin based turbine oil, about $10 for a 4 oz bottle. Use the right tool for the job. In this case some sort of known paintball marker lube.