PDA

View Full Version : 3000psi hand-pump!?!

SummaryJudgement
03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey guys,

I spotted this on Ebay and decided to check out the manufacturer site.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/accessory.pl?accessory_id=81
http://www.airforceairguns.com/handpump.html

Does anybody else thinks this will work for filling CA tanks? They can provide 1/8 hose to connect to the base, and you could add a quicik disconnect to it. Does anybody see any problem with this. I would love to have something that would let me pump even 1000psi into a tank, let alone 3000psi. I don't have a car and the nearest field that can do fills isn't close to me. All I want to be able to do is fill my tanks with a enough pressure to fiddle with my markers so I don't have to do that first thing at a field.

What do you guys think? A good investment? A bad idea? I figure if you can fill a pellet gun to 3000psi you should be able to fill a CA tank, provided you have all the necessary hardware.

I'm really interested in this and in what AO thinks. Let me know! :cheers:

RRfireblade
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
I've fooled around with one of those in the past.

They do work however....it takes like 10 million pumps to fill a 47ci tank. :)

Cow hunter
03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
heard about thses a while back, lots of people putting them down because as RRfireblade said, it takes a ridiculous amount of pumps to fill anything. but i guess if you want an upper body work out and have an empty tank, thats a great idea

RRfireblade
03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
:D

They are meant to fill tiny (by our standards) tanks. The guns they power get like 20 or so shots per tank , and that's using .177 0r .22 size projectiles so it's not exactly practical for Paintball.

SummaryJudgement
03-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Cool guys! Good to know. I'm still kicking the idea around. I figure this might work out better than trying to run a compressor in my apartment ;)

MoeMag
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
This is what that pump is for...

http://www.airforceairguns.com/images_new/talon_angle_lg.jpg

My question is what the hell does one do with that!?
Is is just some target shooting thing, because that looks like some military assault rifle?

Resurection
03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
My favorite part of the site so far:

Q: How many strokes does it take to fill the tank with the hand pump?
A: It will take several hundred strokes to fill the gun’s air cylinder the first time; you actually need to pause several times to rest and let the pump cool. But the air cylinder is not completely emptied when you shoot. After the cylinder is fully charged the first time you will only top off the cylinder to replace the air from the shots you have just fired. If you shoot at high velocity, you normally pump 2 to 3 strokes to replace the air in the cylinder for each shot fired. Low velocity settings require about 1 stroke per shot to top off the cylinder. Warning: When filling the air cylinder for the first time the pump should be allowed to cool for 15 minutes after each 5 minutes of pumping or damage to the pump seals may result.

LOL

Vex
03-27-2006, 05:08 PM
MoeMag,

Those are just target guns--like the ones used in the Olympics. I don't see any real point to them, but I guess if you like shooting inanimate objects, then...

SummaryJudgement
03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
My favorite part of the site so far:

LOL

:rofl: OK, maybe I won't be getting one of these. Does anybody have any good alternatives for home fills, as in a cheap compressor that can do 2-3kpsi? Heck I'd be happy with 1K.

Any suggestions?

MoeMag
03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
scuba tanks.

My shop just started carring 3k scuba tanks with fill stations attached for $130. (you can even get your choice of colors :rolleyes:)
I was told I could get about 8 useful fills off of one tank. My shop will fill one bought from them for $2 so that a great deal for when I go bush ballin'

I have heard of devices that can boost the output of regular compressors. Run a search, fairly recently someone had a link to a mfg.

DaveSM
03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I had a funny but useless idea to get more effiency out of a cocker ;)

Link this pump to your cocking rod so you can pump out some air when the bolt is moving.

Unfortunatly perpetual motion ain't possible.

Things to consider :

- friction = heat = lost energy
- higher cocking pressure so more air wasted (because your are still using the same volume but at higher pressure)
- You would have to stop shooting every 5 minutes to let the pump cool down :rolleyes:

REDRT
03-27-2006, 06:46 PM
:D

They are meant to fill tiny (by our standards) tanks. The guns they power get like 20 or so shots per tank , and that's using .177 0r .22 size projectiles so it's not exactly practical for Paintball.

Not just .177 and .22cal. My friend is into air rifles. He tells me there is 9mm and larger ones out there. He has an air shotgun and a .25 cal rifle. They are no joke. He consistantly takes whitetail deer with his during open season. Both use one of these 3000psi hand pumps. Even on his air rifles it takes alot of effort to fully charge the small tank inside one of his. It bet I could run to the shop 30 miles round trip and fill a 68 tank before one was able to fill a 68/3k with one of these hand pumps. Now I guess there is an electric pump you can get for the air rifles, but I guess from what my friend says, "it is costly".

SummaryJudgement
03-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I found that model as well on the manufacturers site. It's close to $1300 :eek:

I can't go the scuba route either. I would still need to get that tank filled somewhere! I don't make it out to the field but 4 or 5 times a year these days. I'm more of a collector nowadays.....a poor, poor collector :( I have some guns I haven't even shot yet!

I was hoping to get a hands-on solution that would work. What the heck, I may still buy it.

Oh, I've seen vids of high caliber air-rifles. They make them in 50cal and bigger actually. And yes, you can go hunting with those things :shooting:

If anybody has any knowledge of a cheap (around $200) air compressor that can do between 1k and 3k, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks again guys!

RRfireblade
03-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Not just .177 and .22cal. My friend is into air rifles. He tells me there is 9mm and larger ones out there. He has an air shotgun and a .25 cal rifle. They are no joke. He consistantly takes whitetail deer with his during open season. Both use one of these 3000psi hand pumps. Even on his air rifles it takes alot of effort to fully charge the small tank inside one of his. It bet I could run to the shop 30 miles round trip and fill a 68 tank before one was able to fill a 68/3k with one of these hand pumps. Now I guess there is an electric pump you can get for the air rifles, but I guess from what my friend says, "it is costly".

I'm aware of that....the 'point' I was trying to make was they are very small caliber compared to a paintblal marker. ;)

I would however be pretty suprised to to hear some one take a white tail with such a small cailber projectile moving at only 600fps , altho it may be possible.

JRingold
03-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Hmm, looks like I've found what I'm looking for to fill my 13ci and 22ci tanks for my Phantom. Sweet :dance:

I hate paying to fill that small of a tank...

ThePixelGuru
03-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I've fooled around with one of those in the past.

They do work however....it takes like 10 million pumps to fill a 47ci tank. :)
About how long does it take to fill one? Kinda curious how dedicated someone would have to be to fill their tanks off a hand pump.

RRfireblade
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
About how long does it take to fill one? Kinda curious how dedicated someone would have to be to fill their tanks off a hand pump.

Used one to fill an air rifle one time and took a good 10 mins of pumping which got, IIRC (it was some time ago) , good for around 2 dozen shots. It's was probably like a 4-500 cc tank.

VFX_Fenix
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
My question is what the hell does one do with that!?
Is is just some target shooting thing, because that looks like some military assault rifle?

Among other things, they're use in applications where a pre-charged pneumatic system is desirable in an air-rifle. They can be used for prescision shooting applications, however as far as I was aware the biathalon guns were .22 rim-fire rifles. The most common use I've seen for the Airforce serries of rifles (along with a good number of other high-power air rifles made by Benjamin/Sherridan and GAMO to name a couple) is for dealing with small furry/feathered creatures which can be described as "pest" animals. The .22 cal are generally applied to longer range or larger animals.

doc_Zox
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM

well, i pumped this bad boy up to a whopping 30 psi last night with a bicycle hand pump

http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/boomstick/canon01.jpg
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/boomstick/canon02.jpg

100 strokes

the first 40 stokes got me to 5 psi

REDRT
03-28-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm aware of that....the 'point' I was trying to make was they are very small caliber compared to a paintblal marker. ;)

I would however be pretty suprised to to hear some one take a white tail with such a small cailber projectile moving at only 600fps , altho it may be possible.

My friends .25 air rifle clocks in around 1100-1200fps. I like hunting with the .223, but of coarse thar shoots much faster. Never the less it is still small. .22 hornet is the smallest centerfire rifle that can be used here in Wisconsin. I know one guy to accually use one and bagged a deer cleanly.

LinearGoose
03-28-2006, 02:16 AM
well, i pumped this bad boy up to a whopping 30 psi last night with a bicycle hand pump

http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/boomstick/canon01.jpg
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/boomstick/canon02.jpg

100 strokes

the first 40 stokes got me to 5 psi
Yo where you get that tank from.Im think of making something like that but attaching it to a bike so it can pump it .Lol no just messin but where you get the tank at tho and how much.I got a big co2 one but i need n2 instead.Well really I need a tank for my gun first so if anyone gots one for really cheap then let me know. Thanks

doc_Zox
03-28-2006, 10:41 AM
ebay is a wonderful place

the tank is a demiled firefighter airtank

last night i hooked my bike pump to a 4500 88 tank

2 pumps got me to 100 psi and that was all the pump would do

MonsterMag
03-29-2006, 04:52 PM
So if an adapter was made to be connected to a fill nipple female, how many psi Would you get with a standard air pump?

VFX_Fenix
03-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Standard Bike pumps only go to around 110psi, similarly with other sorts of manual pumps and certain power pumps that aren't intended for charging cylinders will only go to around 200psi-ish though I know there are some that'll go higher than 300psi.