PDA

View Full Version : How do I get to the carrier for a leak problem?

Ards
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I just got a used X valve which as a ULT kit and a ULE body and i'm having a hell of a time with a slight leak down the barrel. I've searched the forum and probably read every post on it 3 times, and what I gather is that I need to mess with carrier and it's o-ring.

My question is- I am pretty new to mag maint, I had a classic for years and never had a problem with it - I need to know how to get the carrier out! I pop open the power tube and get the shims out but the carrier doesn't seem to want to come out no matter what I do, is there some trick? Does the power tube open from the other end somehow?

Also, I find that in addition to the leak sometimes the trigger will go dead, as in it might not be resetting.

It's not the on/off as when I hold the trigger down the leak goes away.

I have 1 shim in right now. Thanks for any future help.

marpat
03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
take the field strip screw and put it gently through the carrier hole to catch the oring and then pull it out.

I've had the resetting of the on/off too and what i did was replace the bolt spring with a stronger spring that may help with the trigger problem

rb211
03-29-2006, 09:15 PM
You might want to leave the shim out and try it that way. I just went through this with mine. It may very well not be the carrier. If it's not resetting, that would indicate bolt stick. If it doesn't leak without the shim and still doesn't reset, go up a carrier size (or as far up as you need to without getting the leak) and go from there.

Here's a link to my thread. http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194113

da bear
03-31-2006, 03:16 AM
I had the same problem a couple days ago (as far as getting the carrier out).

I ended up gently reaching down into the center of the carrier with a right angled pick. Working my way around the inside of the hole- I can't stress gently enough... brass is very soft, I eventually got it out. I would be extremely careful, because in my situation, the bugger was pretty snug, and ended up flying across the room when it finally came free.

Hope that helped.

athomas
03-31-2006, 06:50 AM
As mentioned, use the field strip screw. Put it down the powertube. Hold some side pressure on the carrier and pull it out. It should pull out fairly easy.

Your sticking does sound like bolt stick which would indicate a carrier that is too tight. That would prevent the bolt from properly resetting. While in the forward position, it will leak some of the residual pressure from the chamber. Try going to a larger size carrier and see how it reacts. Remove the shims while checking carrier operation. That way you know any leaks you get are caused by a carrier that is too large rather than too many shims.

The only time you need shims in the powertube is if the bolt does not consistently reset after "chuffs". Many users never use shims at all. If you want shims, add them later once you know you have the proper carrier setup in you gun.