PDA

View Full Version : side mounted halos?

Jotsy
03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
so i was noticing all the recent warp threads and it got me thinking about what could be done to actually improve the warp design, and then it hit me. why do we need the warp at all? why not just design a bracket that can mount a halo on the side of the marker and then run the warp hose straight off the halo feedneck. has anybody tried this?

if you wanna take it one step further, you could even redesign the halo shell so that the feedneck is pointing forwards (or straight up for that matter) rather than down. Maybe even mod the motor or the gears for more torque (not necessarily speed) to get that extra push to get the balls going upwards.

this way, it shouldn't be any heavier than a marker with a regular halo on it...

what do you guys think? anybody have any extra long lengths of warp hosing lying around and willing to try this out?

nippinout
03-30-2006, 11:27 PM
:ninja:

Das Uber-Loader.

68magOwner
03-30-2006, 11:36 PM

Das Uber-Loader.

i know what your talking about, somone go dig up the patent application for pics/ect

MoeMag
03-30-2006, 11:45 PM
I think you are on to something.

My halo has an adjustor on the board that increased torque. I bet if I cranked it, it would be able to do it. No warp hose though :(

Or mod it so that the feed neck comes right out the side and mount it to a locking feed neck on a warp body.

like this...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/MoeRoark/dasuber-loader.jpg

EDIT: oops this is the left handed model. reverse image for us normal folk :p

ne0nwalrus
03-31-2006, 01:57 AM
omg! i was just thinking about this. yea i have one part way started. i'll have pic up soon of it

Mescalito
03-31-2006, 02:13 AM
for the somewhat lazy

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8871/dasuberloader2cu.jpg

ShadowNife
03-31-2006, 02:21 AM
be ready for the flames that are going to say it's the higher end version of the a-5 loader everyone despises :tard:

I think mounting it like a warp on the side would be better in terms of balance. If there were shells and trays modded to work with this, I think it would hit off.

MoeMag
03-31-2006, 02:39 AM
for the somewhat lazy

Thanks, I am the posterchild of lazy. In fact I am too lazy to go to sleep right now.

:cheers:

edit: the backwards words were getting to me...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/MoeRoark/dasuber-loadernormal.jpg

Cow hunter
03-31-2006, 06:41 AM
I think you are on to something.

My halo has an adjustor on the board that increased torque. I bet if I cranked it, it would be able to do it. No warp hose though :(

Or mod it so that the feed neck comes right out the side and mount it to a locking feed neck on a warp body.

like this...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/MoeRoark/dasuber-loader.jpg

EDIT: oops this is the left handed model. reverse image for us normal folk :p
i like this model (i shoot lefty)..... but would it work? would there really be a point?

edit; just think of how unbalanced this would feel......

Jotsy
03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
yes! thats exactly what i was thinking.

it wouldn't feel any more unbalanced than a warp already is. plus, since its basically just a halo with the feedneck pointing in a different direction, it shouldn't be any more heavier than having a regular halo up top.

besides, nobody said it HAD to go on the side.... maybe we can mount it under the barrel some how? or over the tank maybe?

buzzboy
03-31-2006, 08:56 AM
This could also become the a5 cyclone. If you mounted it directly onto a Warp Left/Right ULE body you would have a clear sight down the top of the gun like some people want. I most definently want to see somebdy try iths out.

Phantom_Mag
03-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Or a Q-loader!!!

Chronobreak
03-31-2006, 11:10 AM
ive tried this myself

the halo doesnt feed well against gravity

while it WILL work, unles you were to intell it or something your gonna have mad lag to worry about all the time

Jotsy
03-31-2006, 11:39 AM
yea i was wondering how the eye logic would behave too. alternatively you could use a reloader B with the sound activated mechanism.

slade
03-31-2006, 09:52 PM
...whats funny is, this is the exact same idea that was the topic of a thread on here two years ago, when i first joined this forum.

MntlHazrd
04-01-2006, 07:57 PM
I first want to be honest and want to admit that i do not know exactly how a HALO works, but from what i heard i am at the understanding that the motor of a HALO winds a tension spring and that the spring then feeds the balls into the marker. Perhaps if the HALO was modified so that the motor drives the cone directly insetad of the spring it would then have enough power/torque to push the balls up the feed tube into the marker. i can only assume a problem as a result of this would be that without the spring the power of the motor would then jam balls together thus breaking them inside the loader. to rememdy such a problem though i have read how people have intellifed HALOs.....but then again this could all just be speculation on my part :rolleyes:

ShadowNife
04-01-2006, 08:05 PM
yes! thats exactly what i was thinking.

it wouldn't feel any more unbalanced than a warp already is. plus, since its basically just a halo with the feedneck pointing in a different direction, it shouldn't be any more heavier than having a regular halo up top.

besides, nobody said it HAD to go on the side.... maybe we can mount it under the barrel some how? or over the tank maybe?

I would beg to differ on the idea of being unbalanced. The warp feed for most people is situated about even with the bottom of the trigger frame. This lessens the unbalanced when compared to mounting it at the same level as the top of the marker. I get the feeling that it has to do with the fulcrum being farther away and torque and stuff (or maybe the top heavy/bottom heavy idea when holding a marker), but in terms of weight distribution this type of side-fed HALO would feel different and I would suspect more unbalanced than a warp setup.

slade
04-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I first want to be honest and want to admit that i do not know exactly how a HALO works, but from what i heard i am at the understanding that the motor of a HALO winds a tension spring and that the spring then feeds the balls into the marker. Perhaps if the HALO was modified so that the motor drives the cone directly insetad of the spring it would then have enough power/torque to push the balls up the feed tube into the marker. i can only assume a problem as a result of this would be that without the spring the power of the motor would then jam balls together thus breaking them inside the loader. to rememdy such a problem though i have read how people have intellifed HALOs.....but then again this could all just be speculation on my part :rolleyes:
umm, what? without the spring, the halo just wouldnt work competently at all. and you dont want more torque, then it would just break paint.

Jotsy
04-01-2006, 11:01 PM
I would beg to differ on the idea of being unbalanced. The warp feed for most people is situated about even with the bottom of the trigger frame. This lessens the unbalanced when compared to mounting it at the same level as the top of the marker. I get the feeling that it has to do with the fulcrum being farther away and torque and stuff (or maybe the top heavy/bottom heavy idea when holding a marker), but in terms of weight distribution this type of side-fed HALO would feel different and I would suspect more unbalanced than a warp setup.

i beleive what most people are referring to when they say the the warp is unbalanced is that it is unbalanced left to right, not front to back. i actually agree that the warp improves the front to back weight balance, but i guess what most people are afraid of is that it might make the marker heavier on one side. personally, it doesn't really affect me and unless i'm shooting with one hand, i hardly notice it.

also, i'm not really fond of the idea sticking a side feed halo straight into a warp feed body like an A-5 loader. i think that particular setup up would make it unbalanced and also the feedneck would have to grip down pretty hard on the loader to stop it from rotating down.

RoamingStorm
04-02-2006, 12:17 AM
what are you talking about...

you guys are slacking on all your ideas. The best way to decrease weight, increase loading speed, minimize profile, etc. is obviously....

Turn the Halo into a marker!!

Jotsy
04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
ok, so i was bored and i decided to draw up the original design i had in mind (oh yea, forgive the simple drawings. i don't have a scanner or any CAD programs so i had to use Adobe Illustrator):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/southerncobra/halowarp.jpg

i figured for now, the modified shell idea would be a little too expensive/troublesome to try out just for experimenting purposes. i figured a warp bracket style adapter would be easier to try out. all you need is a warp adapter, a no-rise angel feedneck and a regular reloader B. anybody wanna try and build this and try it out? Luke maybe?

Pyroboy597
04-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I think that by far the best hopper location is on top of the tank. Q-loaded warp mags witht he q-loader sticking out over the tank are great. It doens't hinder the ability to shoot the gun 'normally', and it has NO profile at all except the hose, which you can get to fit right along the body until it has to bend out to connect to the feed neck.

Aslan
04-21-2006, 09:31 AM
the problem with this idea is that it perpetuates the idea that in order to play pantball (oops, I meant paintball...but pantball sounds too funny to erase :rofl: ), you require a Halo. I'm trying to think if there was one other product in paintball that has received the status of the Halo...something that virtually every player feels is the best and must have it or the paintball world will collapse...but nothing comes to mind.

I don't know...tinkering is cool...it's probably gonna end up not working and you'll have destroyed a perfectly good Halo...but I can never criticize tinkering. Personally, I think it's a waste of time since most people can never outshoot a warp anyways...unless it jams...or you outshoot the hopper attached to it.

Cow hunter
04-21-2006, 09:43 AM
the problem with this idea is that it perpetuates the idea that in order to play pantball (oops, I meant paintball...but pantball sounds too funny to erase :rofl: ), you require a Halo. I'm trying to think if there was one other product in paintball that has received the status of the Halo...something that virtually every player feels is the best and must have it or the paintball world will collapse...but nothing comes to mind.

I don't know...tinkering is cool...it's probably gonna end up not working and you'll have destroyed a perfectly good Halo...but I can never criticize tinkering. Personally, I think it's a waste of time since most people can never outshoot a warp anyways...unless it jams...or you outshoot the hopper attached to it.
i dont own a warp, but ive heard that they rarely jam, and how can you outshoot the warp if theres a halo on it? :)

also, there are those players who have gone on to the Vlocity, just as good as the halo, but less wieght

slade
04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
i dont own a warp, but ive heard that they rarely jam, and how can you outshoot the warp if theres a halo on it? :)
because warps have a max feedrate. if the hopper feeds faster than the warp, the warp is the limiting factor.

Thordic
04-21-2006, 10:52 AM
The warps max feed rate is pretty high if you do a 12v mod. You shouldn't outshoot it.

sean33
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
dude..good idea..this is plausable.. :cheers:

paintman1142
04-21-2006, 11:43 AM
velocity looks sooo bad, and is really really tall.

Jotsy
04-21-2006, 08:02 PM

first of all, i didn't think of this because i was worried about outshooting a warp. i came up with this idea because:

1) a halo is lighter than a warp + revy
2) a halo is smaller than a warp + revy
3) 6 AA batts are cheaper than 4-3 9v batts

second of all, i agree with you about the status of the halo, but if you think about it what other loaders are availiable?

a revy? gravity fed? puhleeze :rolleyes:
a warp? $76 and you STILL need to buy a loader to put on top of it
a qloader? you can only use their special pods which only hold 100 rounds and at $20-15 a pod its kinda hard to just load and throw the pod away

and that leaves us with the egg, which really has been the only competition for the halo. and think about it, the egg was only slightly cheaper, but it was unbalanced (IMO), the back heavy design meant that unless it was really clamped down hard there was a chance that it would rotate in the breech and it has that infamous problem with the battery door. and you wonder why everybody has a halo?

/note that the above statements are just what i think the general pball playing public would think. i personally love my warp and would love to try out a qloader. in fact, i ordered one last year but it got lost in the mail... but thats a different topic entirely

skriptal
04-21-2006, 08:10 PM
first of all, i didn't think of this because i was worried about outshooting a warp. i came up with this idea because:

1) a halo is lighter than a warp + revy
2) a halo is smaller than a warp + revy
3) 6 AA batts are cheaper than 4-3 9v batts

second of all, i agree with you about the status of the halo, but if you think about it what other loaders are availiable?

a revy? gravity fed? puhleeze :rolleyes:
a warp? $76 and you STILL need to buy a loader to put on top of it
a qloader? you can only use their special pods which only hold 100 rounds and at $20-15 a pod its kinda hard to just load and throw the pod away

and that leaves us with the egg, which really has been the only competition for the halo. and think about it, the egg was only slightly cheaper, but it was unbalanced (IMO), the back heavy design meant that unless it was really clamped down hard there was a chance that it would rotate in the breech and it has that infamous problem with the battery door. and you wonder why everybody has a halo?

/note that the above statements are just what i think the general pball playing public would think. i personally love my warp and would love to try out a qloader. in fact, i ordered one last year but it got lost in the mail... but thats a different topic entirely

apache's are nice, I dont understand whay more poeple dont use apaches.

slade
04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
apache's are nice, I dont understand whay more poeple dont use apaches.
because theyre ugly, the rest of the line sucks, and halos were out first and already dominating the market?

topazpaintball
04-21-2006, 10:50 PM
because theyre ugly, the rest of the line sucks, and halos were out first and already dominating the market?

I actually like Richochet looks. They're just realllly big

Aslan
04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
This is slightly off topic...but since we're talking hoppers...

I'm trying to decide on whether I want to get a couple 9V Revys as back-ups to my 12V Revy. OR...I was thinking of getting 2 of any combinaation of the following:

12V Revy
Reloader 2
Ricochet Apache LCD
Evo II w/y board

The reason is that I'm a gun whore...but not a very good hopper whore. So if my Revy breaks...I'm back to non-agitated hoppers...which is fine if I'm playing pump...

So I thought about getting a couple cheap 9V Revys. The I started looking at the Reloader 2...not too expensive...less than $45. I liked the magnetic lid and general profile. The I looked at the Evo II and Apache. Both less than $70...both considered to be fairly good quality.

And before you say I should get a Halo or Reloader B...I don't need that. I'm pretty sure I'm part of the 98% of paintballers that probably could never shoot past 20bps...so I don't need a hopper that can feed 30.

shorty24
04-24-2006, 12:02 AM

I'm trying to decide on whether I want to get a couple 9V Revys as back-ups to my 12V Revy. OR...I was thinking of getting 2 of any combinaation of the following:

12V Revy
Reloader 2
Ricochet Apache LCD
Evo II w/y board

The reason is that I'm a gun whore...but not a very good hopper whore. So if my Revy breaks...I'm back to non-agitated hoppers...which is fine if I'm playing pump...

So I thought about getting a couple cheap 9V Revys. The I started looking at the Reloader 2...not too expensive...less than $45. I liked the magnetic lid and general profile. The I looked at the Evo II and Apache. Both less than $70...both considered to be fairly good quality.

And before you say I should get a Halo or Reloader B...I don't need that. I'm pretty sure I'm part of the 98% of paintballers that probably could never shoot past 20bps...so I don't need a hopper that can feed 30.

Try the Apache and a 12v Revy, I think you'll like it

/my .02

ThePixelGuru
04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Hate to be a downer, but did you think about profile? The whole point of mounting a hopper on the side is profile, and a side mounted HALO with a feed tube at the bottom would suck. It's a little high above the marker and out to the side, which is fine if you're shooting on the side opposite the hopper, but try shooting out the other side without sticking a huge target out there. It's possible with the Warp because the hopper isn't higher than the marker and it's easy to turn it to hide the hopper. With a side mounted HALO you'd have to turn it 90° and you'd still have a hopper hanging out there. The only way this would be useful is if the hopper fed from the top so it didn't stick up, and that'd be tough.

If you still want to do it though, get a 90° elbow and a HALO and try that. Might actually be tighter than the feed tube out the side.

Jotsy
04-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Hate to be a downer, but did you think about profile? The whole point of mounting a hopper on the side is profile, and a side mounted HALO with a feed tube at the bottom would suck. It's a little high above the marker and out to the side, which is fine if you're shooting on the side opposite the hopper, but try shooting out the other side without sticking a huge target out there. It's possible with the Warp because the hopper isn't higher than the marker and it's easy to turn it to hide the hopper. With a side mounted HALO you'd have to turn it 90° and you'd still have a hopper hanging out there. The only way this would be useful is if the hopper fed from the top so it didn't stick up, and that'd be tough.

If you still want to do it though, get a 90° elbow and a HALO and try that. Might actually be tighter than the feed tube out the side.

i think you're a bit confused here. the original idea was to have the halo on the side of the gun in the exact same position as it would be if it were on a warp, and then have warp hose running from the bottom. sticking it straight into the gun was buzzboy's idea. damn, i even drew a diagram and everything... does my diagram suck that much? :p

Tao
04-24-2006, 05:55 PM
so i was noticing all the recent warp threads and it got me thinking about what could be done to actually improve the warp design, and then it hit me. why do we need the warp at all? why not just design a bracket that can mount a halo on the side of the marker and then run the warp hose straight off the halo feedneck. has anybody tried this?

if you wanna take it one step further, you could even redesign the halo shell so that the feedneck is pointing forwards (or straight up for that matter) rather than down. Maybe even mod the motor or the gears for more torque (not necessarily speed) to get that extra push to get the balls going upwards.

this way, it shouldn't be any heavier than a marker with a regular halo on it...

what do you guys think? anybody have any extra long lengths of warp hosing lying around and willing to try this out?

This is only better than the warp feed if you have a cheetah board and a boost 12v lithium bat. A stock or victory boarded halo doesn't feed as fast as a 12v warp from what I see...

As far as your conversion goes I would guess that you would have to modify the body so that the feed wheel feeds directly out the side, not down. If you have it feed down and then back up through a hose you will loose alot of feed rate due to spent energy from the 180degree turn.

stop whining buy a mag
04-24-2006, 06:53 PM

12V Revy
Reloader 2
Ricochet Apache LCD
Evo II w/y board

What the manufacturer advertises is completely different from what they actually feed.

A guy I play with rewired his Revy to be just one 9V. Saves him some batteries and he only has a Classic Mag so he rarely shoots more than 7 BPS. In bursts I'd say a 9V Revy could feed up to 8 BPS or a little more but it's really only good on mechanical guns with no RT.

The 12V Revy's never hit 12 BPS because they aren't force fed and usually just maintain a steady 9-10 BPS. If you're running a mech gun, get one of these or a 9V version for a backup.

The Reloader II's aren't much difference and the magnetic lid is cool. Sometimes the sound activation was a little picky on my friend's Mag.

The Apache is pretty fast for not being force fed. I just don't like the overall design. I'd take a 12V Revy over any Ricochet.

Egg's are at the bottom of my list. By far the biggest POS for the money. The shell, battery door, and lid are all crap. They are very back heavy so a 68/45 on a rail with an Egg makes a snatch grip very uncomfortable.

I've found my stock Halo to do bursts up to 20 BPS but never consistent over 17 BPS. I've seen what the Cheetah board is capable of and it is rediculous. If you have a mech get another Revy (look for the pre BE shells especially) but if you have an electro just get a Halo or Reloader B.