PDA

View Full Version : why do people complain about guns being GAS HOGS?

nycityinsomniac
04-01-2006, 03:31 AM
most fields are all day air anyway.

ThePixelGuru
04-01-2006, 03:43 AM
I've wondered about that too. Efficiency is nice, but it doesn't matter too much. Kinda sucks if you're filling off scubas out in the woods somewhere, though.

SpecialBlend2786
04-01-2006, 04:07 AM
well, the fields around my place arn't all day air, so i guess it matters a little more to me then others.

FinchMan
04-01-2006, 04:42 AM
for how much paint some people put in the air, it's good to have some efficiency. Especially because mags run best off of really high pressure.

Jonno06
04-01-2006, 07:38 AM
most fields are all day air anyway.

ive been asking this question for years... :rofl:

Dark Frost17
04-01-2006, 07:53 AM
when the lines are 20 people long and there is only 1 person filling :shooting: makes a bit of a difference..... :rolleyes:

doc_Zox
04-01-2006, 08:03 AM
In scenarios, its sometimes nice to be able to expend every ball in your pods before having to retire for more air.

Dryden
04-01-2006, 08:48 AM
In scenarios, its sometimes nice to be able to expend every ball in your pods before having to retire for more air.How much paint do you carry? Are you going out with a case around your belt?

I can get 6 pods + the hopper out of one 68/4500 on my X-Valve, which is a hair over half a case (~1020 rounds) and still have air to spare.

As for the original question, markers X, Y or Z being a 'gas hog' versus markers A, B or C is really arguing the wrong thing. There are features in one design over another which do have a limited effect (such as the Level 10 versus the Level 7 bolt), but most of the excess expelled air has a negligible impact on 'efficiency'. What people are really compairing is how deep into the tank a marker can go and still fire, which is where the Automag design falls short compared to other designs, since it needs ~600 psi to cycle. 600 psi is 1/7th of a 68/4500 fill, whereas another marker might continue to operate down to 200 psi or less.

In the end, every marker needs ~60 psi to propel the ball, some designs use a minimal amount at a high operating pressure, while others use a larger amount at a lower operating pressure.

IMO, I agree with the original poster in the end ... I can already fire more paint than I actually ever carry, and I've got all day air to boot.

RapidTransit
04-01-2006, 08:54 AM
What I don't understand is the fact that Low Pressure = better gas effiency.

I've been wondering about this lately and this thread relates. If I have a an area of 1 pi in and it requires say 1000PSI to move it but 10 cubic feet of air is used. Then lets say I have a bolt operating at 500psi, whos area is 2 pi in but wouldn't it require more cubic feet of air to move it at the same speed? Kinda like HVLP vs LVHP paint sprayers lake of one thing leads to the consumption of another thing?

Lohman446
04-01-2006, 08:58 AM
I carry a 45/45 on both my mag and Matrix. When there are only 3K fills I'm not going to get much past my hopper and two pods I carry. Its enough for me, but I could see where it would be an issue for some people

teufelhunden
04-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Better efficiency means one can carry a smaller tank to get the same number of shots off a fill.

It was nice to be able to use a 68/45 playing back because I could get as many shots out of that as I used to with my old 88/45 on a different gun.

Coralis
04-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Go play a big scenario game with 1200+ people at the game , you might have 50 or 60 people in line for a fill.

nycityinsomniac
04-01-2006, 10:02 AM
In scenarios, its sometimes nice to be able to expend every ball in your pods before having to retire for more air.

are you freaking kidding me? lol
your gun must be a gas eating beast then.
i own a smart parts nerve and i heard its one of the biggest gas hogs out there.
i can go 3 rounds without filling my tank and i shoot a lot.

buzzboy
04-01-2006, 10:40 AM
are you freaking kidding me? lol
your gun must be a gas eating beast then.
i own a smart parts nerve and i heard its one of the biggest gas hogs out there.
i can go 3 rounds without filling my tank and i shoot a lot.
Nerves are pretty darn efficient. That sounds about right to tell the truth.

For me effiency is the name of the game. In outlaw the 92/45 lasts me for the 1000 rounds I bring to the field and gives me a spare tank I can give to a friend in need if I got a full 4500 fill. I do admit thought that I got more shots off my BKO with the same tank but it was overkill for what I do. Most people where I live all have big nitro tanks or lots of Co2 because things arn't easy to come by. And most people are starting to move away from blowbacks and are finding out that they can play for longer off the same air.

So in some aspects low Vs High pressure can cause some differences. But not on the same type of gun. Running an autococker HP or LP it should get around the same number of shots. But comparing an LP cocker to an Automag with LX it will get way more shots. It is all relative.

bentothejam1n
04-01-2006, 12:17 PM
some people play out on fields that they've made themselves so they cant really get a fill out there

Miscue
04-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Efficiency has to do with the marker's design, not whether or not it has low/high pressure input. There are low pressure markers notorious for inefficiency, and high pressure markers that have good efficiency. At best, you can say that low pressure may be the side-effect of a good design... but LP by itself does not imply good design or efficiency.

peewee
04-01-2006, 12:39 PM
In some locations where I play the nearest place to get fills in 80+ miles away. For tourney stuff I want enough to be able to finish a game a halo & three pods usually.

doc_Zox
04-01-2006, 11:10 PM
at an MXS final battle last fall, i carried a case onto the field

Cow hunter
04-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Efficiency has to do with the marker's design, not whether or not it has low/high pressure input. There are low pressure markers notorious for inefficiency, and high pressure markers that have good efficiency. At best, you can say that low pressure may be the side-effect of a good design... but LP by itself does not imply good design or efficiency.
examples of a HP gun bieng good efficienccy?

IMO the most efficent gun are AKA's, its possible to get almost a case or more on one 68/45

quasimorte
04-01-2006, 11:34 PM
If it really is a problem just grab a 30CF 3000 psi scuba tank and strap it to your back for the game :).

Blazestorm
04-02-2006, 05:05 AM
Because some people actually play tournaments that require them to shoot more then a hopper of paint.

AKA, XPSL in Corona, Most games I was only shooting 2-3 pods, but I had 7 on my back. One game I shot all 7... and was on half a hopper when we timed out...

http://www.blazestorm.net/xpsl/pwnage.jpg

Ya I look fat ;) (far right)

http://gameonphotos.com/xpsl_march/img_5205_std.jpg

But thas ok :)

http://paintball.com/pics/xpsl/06/03SC/sun/xpsl0601-04-364.jpg

far left... 8 pods >_<

sniper1rfa
04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Scenarios.

I use an 88/45 on a fairly efficient cocker for scenarios, since the fill lines are very long and i play fast and hard all day.

I carry three pods and a halo, but we play team paint, and have a huge cooler full of fresh pods when we need them, so i really have an infinite amount of paint. *shrug*

The real question is - why dont you worry about it? An efficient gun is a gun that is running very well - don't you want your equipment to be running very well?

nicad
04-02-2006, 11:30 AM
generic quote: "I can play a full game on a 68/45 and still have air left."

I say: "switch to a 45/45 tank. Its a smaller target and lighter."
oops you might no longer get a full game and have air left.
How about gun designs that are efficient enough to get 1300 full shots from a 45/45?
It is not a matter of all day air, it is a matter of having a smaller ligter target attached to your marker.

thats my thoughts. :)

out!

68magOwner
04-02-2006, 11:31 AM
because people like to use 45/45 tanks, and, for rec play, it dosent really matter, but, at tournaments and whatnot, air fill lines can occasionaly get kinda long and if you have back to back games, you could be shooting yourself in the foot by having a very inefficient marker.

benzy2
04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
I play a bit of outlaw ball at a neighbors woods. I only have a 3000 tank which together doesnt go good for inefficient guns. Also the local shop only fills co2. It takes a good hour to drive to the nearest shop that fills hpa. When playing on a nice field it doesnt matter much but when playing around home for a day its about as important as anything.

warpig13
04-02-2006, 08:27 PM
when your at a scenario, and your using a "gas hog", it requires constant walking off the field and refilling. but it really doesnt matter for rec play.

thefool
04-02-2006, 08:41 PM
yeah basically it makes you have one less thing to worry about.
Lets you have a smaller tank
balences the gun better becasue of it
lets you not stand in line.

and its another thing for companies to brag about.

cowboy_00
04-03-2006, 07:42 AM
If your playing Scenario and you have been doing it for a while and realize that carrying a 2lb rock on the bottom of your gun is tiresome, then your probably gonna run remote.

In which case just get a big 92 or 114 and not have to worry for 2-3 cases on almost any gun i think.

Arstron
04-03-2006, 11:40 AM
generic quote: "I can play a full game on a 68/45 and still have air left."

I say: "switch to a 45/45 tank. Its a smaller target and lighter."
oops you might no longer get a full game and have air left.
How about gun designs that are efficient enough to get 1300 full shots from a 45/45?
It is not a matter of all day air, it is a matter of having a smaller ligter target attached to your marker.

thats my thoughts. :)

out!

Dont the new freestyles (FS-8) get close to that kind of shots per tank? I read that the FS-8 stock is supposed to get 1300 shots off of a 68/4500 and with the HR-2 bolt upgrade its supposed to get around 1500 shots on the same tank.