PDA

View Full Version : Flatline Problems

PnueMagger
04-04-2006, 02:17 AM
**It's not the reg seat**

For the record...my new flatline reg blows. It cant keep up with the pnuemag or hyperframed micromag, It fires like 3 shots a sec before my x-valve begins to not recharge. Cant even keep up with a classic. The output drops 200-250psi down to 600psi and doen't come back up fast enough to fire fast. I've oiled it, rebuilt it, then sent it in to AGD and it still fires slow. It only begins to recharge faster as my tank gets empty and the interior pressure approaches the output pressure. Don't gt me wrong, I really love the look/feel/durability and will regret having to put my 6yr old nitroduck preset back on the bottle. I need advice, what should I do?

Arent presets generally highr flowing thn adjustables anyhow?

Duzzy
04-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Borrow someone else's tank to see if it really is your tank. Try changing out your air fittings and hose.

(I understand that the guage says it isn't recharging, but guages aren't always accurate.)

VFX_Fenix
04-04-2006, 02:30 AM
Generally, and I say this in the broadest sence, bad reg seats would be #1 cause of poor recharge. Having said that and believing you, it won't be mentioned again.

You say that AGD checked the system and said it was good to go, so I'm actually confused. BUT!

Thing I'd wonder about would be the spring pack. The pack can wear out and might have a problem with the exesive load placed on it by a full tank. After that, I have no idea.

And reg design has much more to do with high flow than preset vs. adjustable.

MoeMag
04-04-2006, 02:38 AM
I know it is comparing apples and oranges, but my Maxflo inline, had similar issues… besides the fact it ate on/off o-rings. After some severe frustration and at an extraordinary loss of $$$ I am having a preset installed on my “new” (92/45) tank this week. I figure its Murphy’s law… if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. So keep the things that can go wrong to a minimum and use a preset tank.

What shocked me was the extraordinary variation between shot velocities 220-295, and somehow it really degraded the r/t action of my valve even at 1000psi. With my “old” 72/3000 PE tank running ~850psi output I get great reactivity and great consistency. I think adjustable regulators are a myth… with the exception of this $500 thing that my local proshop owner has.
Preset>adjustable .

PS. Did you know presets can be “reset”… I had my 72/3000 running 950 output for a year or so.

PnueMagger
04-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Well, i just sent AGD my reg. Not the whole setup b/c I had a tank on order from ebay. My preset reg works great with the tank so idk if it could be the tank.

I've used both guns with different air systems and the guns work, so i know it's not the gun. Plus the reg acts the same on a classic and an x-valve.

As the remaining tank pressure approaches 900psi, the dropoff is only about 50-100 and it recharges about twice as fast as when there is 3000psi in the tank.

Does anyone know if they make "presets" that dont screw in? That attach to the gun? I've just always been under the understanding that they get higher flow and shoodown less.

PnueMagger
04-04-2006, 09:45 AM
BTW, I say its not the reg seat b/c it's been replaced twice.

rkjunior303
04-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Considering 100s of people on here use the Flatline with -NO- problems, I highly doubt the flatline just plain "sucks". It sounds like yours is just having a problem.

SlartyBartFast
04-04-2006, 10:30 AM
And reg design has much more to do with high flow than preset vs. adjustable.

And the only difference between a preset and an adjustable is that an adjustable allows you to vary the spring pressure inside the reg.

PS. Did you know presets can be “reset”… I had my 72/3000 running 950 output for a year or so.

No. They can't be "reset". Overtime, the spring pack inside may become weaker allowing the pressure to creap up.

Adding spring washers, changing the spring pack orientation, or changing spring pack types will result in different pressures from a preset or different pressure ranges from an adjustable.

My preset reg works great with the tank so idk if it could be the tank.

Sounds like your problem is in how you're installing the flatline or some incompatibility with the tank.

Are you certain you're installing the reg properly and that the reg and tank have the same threads and thread depth?

Considering 100s of people on here use the Flatline with -NO- problems, I highly doubt the flatline just plain "sucks". It sounds like yours is just having a problem.

Exactly. From the whole description, I'd say the problem is between the reg and the tank or the way in which it's being installed.

VFX_Fenix
04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Okay.

Consider the following, If you have a 4500psi Flatline you could be installing the reg seat backwards. If you have a 3000psi Flatline you could have the wrong o-ring installed as the reg seat.

And the only difference between a preset and an adjustable is that an adjustable allows you to vary the spring pressure inside the reg.

In terms of internal air passageways and layout. There are reasons why not all regulators flow the same which are due to internal design, not adjustable vs. preset.

PnueMagger
04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
#1) ok, I know the reg doesn't "suck". It's quite nice...I'm just bitter about the fact that it should work better.

#2) It's a 3000 Flatline. It doesn't matter if I know which way or type of reg seat is used (which I do). I sent it in to AGD and had it serviced under the 30 day warantee. I would hope they know how to fix a 3000 flatline reg seat.

#3)It threads in beautifully. Doesn't leak and has identical threads. However, I have noticed the threaded portion on the flatline is almost twice as long as the nitrroduck. (i.e. - It takes a lot more turns to screw it in) I don't see this causing too many problems because there is no blockages. Plus this wouldn't account for the fact that it seems to recharge faster as tank empties.

I just don't understand why AGD gaveit a clean bill of health. Could my pnuemagg really be drawing enough air to strain the flatline?

VFX_Fenix
04-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Mmmm... just out of curiosity how quickly does the reg charge the system when you go from degassed to charged when you first turn the reg on. Is it still slow or is it pretty quick? I honestly don't know what would be causing this issue apart from faulty bits, and since the reg came back from AGD with their stamp of approval, I'm baffled.

Vex
04-06-2006, 03:41 AM
If AGD checked it out, then I'd say to take a look at your gun.