PDA

View Full Version : Emag vs Mech mag

Toll
04-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, I have money. I like mags. I am here and glaringly unsubtle.

At the moment, having never shot an Emag (though owning a few mechs) I am starting to wonder what the difference is. A nice mech mag will run me about 450-500 ish. An Emag that I have my eye on will run me about 450-500 ish...I'm afraid that I don't know enough to make a choice when continuing my gun whoring nature.

So I obviously have some questions :

1) What is it capped at. What are the board specifications?
2) As I remember, there is a marginal difference between an Xvalve and an Evalve...Am I wrong?
3) How does it work? Standard seer tripping or something more complex?
4) How does it shoot? With the exception of the newest stuff on the market, I've shot just about everything (save for an emag and a viking) so are there any comparisons to be drawn?

Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand here. If anyone is curious I wanted to get a mag back simply because some one looked at a picture of my old one and said it was the ugliest Ion he had ever seen. It made me cry deep down inside.

thefool
04-06-2006, 11:26 PM
sear tripper
can be mech or elecctro your choice
speed depends on software

MoeMag
04-07-2006, 12:03 AM
As /\ /\ /\ said e-mags can switch between mechanical and e mode with a flip of a switch.
The fact that e-mags are identical in operation to a mechanical mag with similar valve (x-valve in most cases) while in mechanical mode, was a major selling point for me. (not to mention the gun will still shoot if your batt goes dead)
The newest board software that AGD made was 3.2, so ask about what version of the software that e-mag is running. 3.2 has an adjustable cap that tops out at 20 bps. It has a adjustable shot buffer to help smooth things out. If you put the gun into mechanical mode while the electronics are still on you get "hybrid mode" :ninja: . This mode rocks! it takes advantage of the r/t bounce and the electronic sear trip and the combination of the two makes it a viable competitor against rampers.

Well hope that helps a bit.
happy hunting... or whoring :tard:
:cheers:

Toll
04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
*beard stroke*

Excellent....Excellent.

How does one get the software upgrades? A stop at tunamart or? How costly are we talking?

MoeMag
04-07-2006, 12:13 AM
*beard stroke*

Excellent....Excellent.

How does one get the software upgrades? A stop at tunamart or? How costly are we talking?

I am fairly sure that tunaman does it, but if you send in the gun to AGD they will completly rebuild anything it needs and flash the new software for about $70 last time I looked

Hey my 400th post! woot! woot!

VFX_Fenix
04-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Flashing to AGD v3.2 will run $20+S&H from Tunaman.

Lohman446
04-07-2006, 08:08 AM
To me the E-mag trigger (tuned well - might as Tuna to do it with reflash) is like nothing out there. Infinetly adjustable with the HES system rather than a "click" and the magnetic return. Though I don't shoot one at this time I have a lot - the trigger I would say is better than any trigger out there (though could benefit from adjustable stops). Reviews of the tunablade replacement trigger (ask Tuna) indicate it only gets better.

The software (3.2, the latest supported by AGD) is a great software program for single shot per pull. Capped at 20 due to 'noid limitations the marker can shoot that easily without recharging issues. That cap is very competetive with other markers out there. There are a few options coming up soon (it seems) that give you the ability to have ramping modes as other markers. The X-mod seems to be in the reasonably close time frame, and there is a preorder of Predator boards out there (though the ETA is of question). It is possible to morlock it as well.

The E-mag has the ability to shoot in electronic or mechanical modes, something no other marker has (that I am aware of). To be technically legal this feature may have to be disabled at some places (some have had issues, most have had not) by simply removing the trigger rod and disallowing manual mode.

The downsides, you should be aware of though most find them acceptable

The E-mag relies on level ten to stop chops - and it stops the vast majority of them. It does not have eyes. Use of a good force feed loader is almost a necessity

You will likely want a ULE body - aluminum, lighter, it gives you the ability to use cocker threaded feednecks. Some people have had these milled for dual detents to help with Halo "push past" of the balls. Some people never have this issue.

The E-mag uses a large rechargeable battery, make sure its charged and not an issue. Some people hate this battery.

The level ten takes some tuning to be right. Look at the level ten instructions some. Not a big deal.

Other notes:
Functionally the same the X-valve is 3 ounces lighter than the E-mag / RT / Retro valves. There was at first some worry that the X-valve would not be as durable, to this point it has not proven true.

Buying a used mag is a pretty safe bet. I doubt there are any out there that Tuna (or others) cannot tune to perfect function again.

VFX_Fenix
04-07-2006, 10:10 AM
You will likely want a ULE body - aluminum, lighter, it gives you the ability to use cocker threaded feednecks.

Cocker threaded barrels, Angel threaded feed necks. darn typos ;)

Lohman446
04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Cocker threaded barrels, Angel threaded feed necks. darn typos ;)

Good call, I was thinking barrels, dont know how I did that