PDA

View Full Version : When to replace seals and rings?

finnmanpa
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a '95 Level 7 Mag. No mods, just stock. It has never seen CO2, only HPA. I have gone through bolt springs as they loose their elasticity, but I have never changed my seals or rings in my Mag.

If my Mag doesn't leak, do I need to change the seals and rings? They are 11 years old. Will I notice better consistency, or smoother performance?

So, is it time for a tune up, or if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Thoughts and comments, much thanks!

Jason

rtfire1
04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
i would replace them. that and check your on / off pin i got a mag that i played with a lot that when i did the o-rings it was like brand new again. ebay has good prices on o-ring and on/off pins.

Dayspring
04-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I take the approach of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Dryden
04-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a '95 Level 7 Mag. No mods, just stock. It has never seen CO2, only HPA. I have gone through bolt springs as they loose their elasticity, but I have never changed my seals or rings in my Mag.

If my Mag doesn't leak, do I need to change the seals and rings? They are 11 years old. Will I notice better consistency, or smoother performance?

So, is it time for a tune up, or if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Thoughts and comments, much thanks!

JasonI'm from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. With Mags, it's not the years, it's the mileage -- so it's really a question of how often you're out using it, not how old it is.

There are some good preventative steps you could take, such as checking the bolt edge and the sear for wear. Replace one or both if there is evidence of chipping. Check the on/off bottom and on/off pin for wear also, but these are probably good as is. Along with the bolt spring you might also want to replace the blue bumper behind the bolt. You may benefit from replacing the regulator seat and possibly the regulator piston assembly if you're noticing erratic velocities, but if velocity seems pretty stable I'd just as soon leave it as is.

Most players just put a few drops of oil in the ASA before gassing it up, then your air system blows the oil to where it needs to go when you fire a few shot. Remove the barrel and fire a few clearing shots into a towel to blow out all the excess oil (otherwise it'll end up coating the inside of your barrel) and you're lubed and ready for another 2 or 3 cases.