PDA

View Full Version : My .357 Revolver was just relieved of any service duty

Lohman446
04-08-2006, 10:31 PM
And its going back to Taurus Monday.

Story - I heard a noise, stepped outside to see what it was, and cocked the gun as I did. Satisfied there were no issues I lowered the hammer, or tried to. The hammer jammed about halfway down. I live in a rural area, so no big deal I pointed in a safe direction and pulled the trigger fully, no big deal, gun didn't go off, hammer did not fall. I tried to open the cylinder, cylinder would not open. I held gun for over a minute just pointed, playing wtih trying to get the hammer to move (jammed from forward and back travel). Wanting to see what was wrong I set the gun down in my left hand... about two seconds later gun goes off. Rule number one of gun safety, pay attention to where the muzzle is pointed and keep it safe. I followed this rule (thank god). The rest of the judgement might have been poor - I obviously should have chosen a different surface to hold it. After the gun went off I was able to open the cylinder, remove the cartridges and put it up until I can send it back to the manufacturer.

Pretty good powder burns on my left hand... nothing too severe - kinda scared me

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/extremexs/pdburns2.JPG

Gunther_mag_user
04-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Just another reminder to stress gun safety. Glad that you're ok, it's sad how so many people do stupid things with guns(point them at themselves and others).

Lohman446
04-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Just another reminder to stress gun safety. Glad that you're ok, it's sad how so many people do stupid things with guns(point them at themselves and others).

Obviously I could have been safer :) - whenever theres blood or burns involved one could have been safer. The fact that there is no bullet hole in anything important (just the ground) shows that I was not as stupid as some people are.

Recon by Fire
04-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Muzzle orientation is you friend :)

Glad to hear you are okay, save the minor injury.

Eagle
04-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Task one-return to manufacture
Task two-change skivvies :D

MoeMag
04-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Taurus sucks.

Glad your okay
:cheers:

Lohman446
04-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Taurus sucks.

Glad your okay
:cheers:

The guns done.. its a snubbie so its only purpose is concealed carry. Its no longer useful for that to me - it failed to fire when I tried to fire it, and then fired when I didn't want to do. Regardless of any mistake I made (I should not have cocked it) it suffered a mechanical failure that rendered it A) useless and B) unsafe.

Which means I need something to carry when my Sig P229 is bigger than I want and my Tomcat is less than I want.

govnamac
04-08-2006, 11:51 PM
The guns done.. its a snubbie so its only purpose is concealed carry. Its no longer useful for that to me - it failed to fire when I tried to fire it, and then fired when I didn't want to do. Regardless of any mistake I made (I should not have cocked it) it suffered a mechanical failure that rendered it A) useless and B) unsafe.

Which means I need something to carry when my Sig P229 is bigger than I want and my Tomcat is less than I want.

Look at the S&W J frame .357 revolver. My boss has one and it is a nice little gun.

Rudz
04-09-2006, 12:18 AM
i was looking into getting a 357..any manufacturer recomendations?? since tuarus is out..and lohman be careful..we need you for the owners group...

Army
04-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Transfer bar or the stupid security lock. My guess would be the stupid security lock.

Beemer
04-09-2006, 10:45 AM
The fact that there is no bullet hole in anything important (just the ground) shows that I was not as stupid as some people are.

I couldnt resist. Not as but still...... :spit_take

Cow hunter
04-09-2006, 03:35 PM
was the shell old? after a while the ignition charge takes longer to burn, and may seem to not fire, then go off unexpectedly..... but it also might have been the cylinder was jammed....

/read a story some 16 yr old stole their grandfathers WWII revolver, tried to shoot a clerk during a robbery, didnt fire, looked down the barrel, and BAM there goes his face.....

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
04-09-2006, 04:23 PM
was the shell old? after a while the ignition charge takes longer to burn, and may seem to not fire, then go off unexpectedly..... but it also might have been the cylinder was jammed....

/read a story some 16 yr old stole their grandfathers WWII revolver, tried to shoot a clerk during a robbery, didnt fire, looked down the barrel, and BAM there goes his face.....

I wouldn't think it would be a powder issue with old magnum shells in a revoler they tend to crack when there old. I broke two in the cylinder of his 44

Lohman446
04-09-2006, 05:47 PM
They were fairly new cartridges, Federal Hydrashocks under four months old. The hammer had actually stuck halfway down. This was a mechanical gun failure, it was not a fault in the ammunition.

SCpoloRicker
04-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Jeez, you're a trouble magnet sometimes. ;)

Army
04-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Ummm...Cartridges, not "shells".

A cartridge is fixed ammunition that propels a single solid projectile.

A "shell" is a projectile made of multiple parts.

Pistols and revolvers use "cartridges". Shotguns and artillery use "shells".

....and I still say it was the stoopid safety lock.

bofh
04-10-2006, 09:50 AM

I'm curious, are shotgun slugs, cartridges or shells?

Lohman446
04-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Jeez, you're a trouble magnet sometimes. ;)

Someday I'm going to fail to make both my New Years resolutions

1) Make it to the next New Year
2) Stay out of jail

Target Practice
04-10-2006, 09:56 AM
You could borrow mine.

http://www.truncatedburn.com/pics/newgun.jpg

Lohman446
04-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Up until this Taurus was one of my favorite lines of guns for cheap guns. Not as nice as my Sigs for instance, but nice enough for the $$ one spent.

I will never load this gun again, regardless if they fix it or not.

There handling of the situation will determine if I will ever shoot a Taurus again.

Thordic
04-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm not a gun person, but I would think if the hammer was stuck halfway down, you're safest bet would be to stick something underneath the hammer so it couldn't go off on its own while you figured out how to get the ammo out.

Lohman446
04-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm not a gun person, but I would think if the hammer was stuck halfway down, you're safest bet would be to stick something underneath the hammer so it couldn't go off on its own while you figured out how to get the ammo out.

Concealed hammer, not really easy on this, though possible. Considering the result there were obviously safer ways to handle it :)

/Hard to say you did everything right when you are injured in the process :)

Crighton
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
So you basically had it held flat on a table or some such with your hand and it went off?

Did it go off when you put it down on the table or after you had it held there for a couple seconds?

Did the hammer finally drop the final 50% of it's travel while it was on the table. I'm not 100% sure of the mechanism taurus uses for there key based safety system, but is it possible to not fully disengage the safety system and have a friction point on the hammer?

Lohman446
04-10-2006, 11:23 AM
So you basically had it held flat on a table or some such with your hand and it went off?

Did it go off when you put it down on the table or after you had it held there for a couple seconds?

Did the hammer finally drop the final 50% of it's travel while it was on the table. I'm not 100% sure of the mechanism taurus uses for there key based safety system, but is it possible to not fully disengage the safety system and have a friction point on the hammer?

I was holding it in the palm of my left hand, flat. My other hand was fully away. The hammer fell teh rest of the way, at least I assume it did and caused it to go off. There is no safety (well, traditional type safety) on this revolver

Crighton
04-10-2006, 12:40 PM
So the pistol predates the companies manditory child saftery key system on every gun policy?

Lohman446
04-10-2006, 12:42 PM
So the pistol predates the companies manditory child saftery key system on every gun policy?

In the traditional sense, there is no traditional, thumb push safety as it is a revolver. There is a key lock system (as on all Taurus firearms), which as Army has pointed out if I had to guess at a culprit I would point at.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
04-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Thanks Army for the correction. Not use to calling them cartridges, in the Corps we called them by cailber size or dodic (I.E. 5.56 Ball or M193) or Next thing I may screw up is calling a magizine a clip. LOL :)

Crighton
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
In the traditional sense, there is no traditional, thumb push safety as it is a revolver. There is a key lock system (as on all Taurus firearms), which as Army has pointed out if I had to guess at a culprit I would point at.

Right on, that's what I was thinking as well. Thought it might have possibly not been fully locked or unlocked.

Lohman446
04-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I dont think the Taurus rep understood me when I told him regardless of what they found I was NEVER putting a live cartridge in this firearm again.

Hajari13
04-10-2006, 04:01 PM
i think you should be a hand model. ;)

Steelrat
04-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Wow, so much for revolvers being more reliable. I've shot a crapload of rounds through my sigs, and only experienced a couple of FTFs, with no FTEs.

Lohman446
04-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Wow, so much for revolvers being more reliable. I've shot a crapload of rounds through my sigs, and only experienced a couple of FTFs, with no FTEs.

I have a Sig too - you can't honestly compare a top of the line semi-auto to a middle of the road (though right now I think less than that of it) revolver. I sent the thing to Taurus, Ill let you know when I have a resolution, I basically sent a copy of what I paid for the thing, a picture of my hand, and told them I would never use the gun again that a mechanical failure of there product had made it worth nothing to me, I could no longer use it nor did I feel comfortable selling it. I wonder if they take the hint.