PDA

View Full Version : Fearless Review: Jet Li's FINAL Martial Arts movie

digitard
04-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Okay,
Finally finished the flick. I have to say its a fitting end to Jet Li's martial arts cinema career.

The film follows founder of the Jin Wu Sports Federation (Huo Yuanjia). The movie starts with himon a path of destruction and revenge. Upon the death of an adversary at his hands his family is killed and he spirals out of life. In his darkest he finds salvation in a village of people and eventually returns to civilization with the balance he needed. He starts up the JinWu school of martial arts and well... I'll leave the rest to the viewing.

The fight scenes in the movie are excellent. They're very VERY reminisant of the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA series and my personal favorite FIST OF LEGEND.

The first half of the movie is basically a series of fights between himself, challengers and eventually the man who beat his father.

The 2nd half slows down a bit as he sort of understands the flow of life, and eventually the last 20 or so mins he returns to the ring and his "legend" begins.

The movie is excellent... it can get a little slow at times, as a lot of "period" pieces do, but man... I loved it. I definitaly think it rates up there with Fist of Legend as my personal favorite Jet Li film.

The martial arts, Wushu, is amazingly fluid, and while its definitaly wirework you still sit there enthralled at the screen.

Here's a clip. I encoded it using a STANDARD encoder this time, but if you have trouble playing it (32megs) let me know. Its the first 5mins of the movie (including credits). If you have trouble playing it I'll rerun it through a new encoder into Quicktime/WMV standards. If you do have trouble playing it (I cant test cause I have every codec imaginable on my machine) try using VLC or just download and install the K-LITE CODEC pack.

http://www.ghtp.net/media/fearless.avi
(right click ... save-as)

All in all... considering this will be his last martial arts flick, I am not let down.

rkjunior303
04-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Why is this last martial arts flick?

digitard
04-10-2006, 06:28 PM
He just doesn't want to do it anymore. He promised his wife, and now he's going to do some other stuff (he's still going to act, just no more martial arts stuff)

Steelrat
04-10-2006, 06:32 PM
He just doesn't want to do it anymore. He promised his wife, and now he's going to do some other stuff (he's still going to act, just no more martial arts stuff)

I heard he is going to do a romantic comedy with Jennifer Aniston.

Aeronautica86
04-10-2006, 07:09 PM
personally I think if he quits doing martial arts movies, his career will be over...

I hope not, cause I love the guy, but I really don't see him in any comedic or dramatic roles...

digitard
04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
personally I think if he quits doing martial arts movies, his career will be over...

I hope not, cause I love the guy, but I really don't see him in any comedic or dramatic roles...

Doubtful. He's HUGE overseas obviously... his hollywood career may be dampened due to it, but he'll always have work in his homeland, and obviously he's made a great living in that since a lot of his flicks (which subsequently were picked up and moved here) were from overseas.

Thordic
04-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Hes a TERRIBLE actor though. Have you ever Black Mask? Its one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I couldn't even sit through the whole thing, and I'm someone who managed to sit through the entirety of Battlefield Earth (the standard against which all other bad movies should be measured).

Career = Done.

thecavemankevin
04-11-2006, 01:56 PM
http://www.ghtp.net/media/fearless.avi
(right click ... save-as)

All in all... considering this will be his last martial arts flick, I am not let down.

why you gotta leave us hangin like that in going into the final round

Dark Frost17
04-11-2006, 06:02 PM
when is that coming out?.... i would like to see.....
sorry to see him leaving the martial arts movie seen but i am sure he will be fine in other movies....he is more then popular enough overseas..... :wow:
but awsome preview....just needs about 5 more min

digitard
04-11-2006, 11:08 PM
why you gotta leave us hangin like that in going into the final round

haha I actually didnt. That would've been the end of the movie.

The movie goes from final event, into flashback showing how he became who he is, and then the "final round" is also the end of the movie.

So I actually cut it just before they went into "growing up" scenes.

digitard
04-11-2006, 11:09 PM
when is that coming out?.... i would like to see.....
sorry to see him leaving the martial arts movie seen but i am sure he will be fine in other movies....he is more then popular enough overseas..... :wow:
but awsome preview....just needs about 5 more min

I have no idea when/if its coming out for US release. I have the imported version.

Adding 5mins wouldn't of done anything. All it would've done is gone itno "flashback".

MoeMag
04-12-2006, 02:06 AM

Sounds like someones wife has a little too much in her purse...

Ahwatukee AZ!? Ever go to 23bps?