PDA

View Full Version : X-Valve anodizing?

Phurious
04-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I am thinking of having Absolute Finish anodize my marker, and was wondering, can you disassemble the X-Valve so that it may be annodized? Is it possible?

TYA

Dayspring
04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
It is possible, but not recommended.

The Valve is a precision part. Anodizing can remove material from the aluminum and alter those tolerances.

Secondly, you will lose any sort of warranty b/c the laser engraving of the serial # will be gone. And no, AGD will not re-engrave your valve. Once it's gone, it's gone for good.

shades
04-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Plus black goes with everything. Just like Henry Ford said we will paint your model T in any of your favorite colors as long as that color is BLACK.

Dayspring
04-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Actually, AGD sells pre-anodized ones in different colors. Red, purple, blue, green, pewter, black.

EasterE
04-16-2006, 01:58 PM
actually, go for it.

find a place that can do anodize masking, they wont even need to touch the inside of the valve which might offset the tolerences. just the outside.

i wouldnt be to worried about the warranty anyways, nothing against AGD, but i was about to send my old 68 classic valve in and got the respsonse of "turnaround time is usually 2-3 weeks". :tard:
broke it down, fixed the problem in 15 min.

now, if you dont like working/troubleshooting/ect then that might be something to reconsider.

goodluck.
t

SpitFire1299
04-16-2006, 02:01 PM

The Valve is a precision part. Anodizing can remove material from the aluminum and alter those tolerances.

Secondly, you will lose any sort of warranty b/c the laser engraving of the serial # will be gone. And no, AGD will not re-engrave your valve. Once it's gone, it's gone for good.
I second that. :)

Tym
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
As long as they mask/plug the inside of the valve... There is no reason why not, After all, the valve is already anodized...

Just makes sure you stress how important it is that the inside of the valve remains untouched.. I have seen classic valves done up like this, and have never heard of anything going wrong.

My suggestion would be, try it on a classic valve first, if you are at all worried about it, if not, just go ahead and anodize it :) Let me know how it turns out...

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
dam.........

zipity_Bop
09-21-2007, 01:11 AM

its because annodizing negates warranty.....

and your engravinf is still visible after anno unless you have it stripped

Papa_Smurf
09-21-2007, 07:20 AM
What it comes down to is, is it worth the time, money and effort? and does it really need to be done?What's wrong with a black Xvalve?

Warwitch
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
What it comes down to is, is it worth the time, money and effort? and does it really need to be done?What's wrong with a black Xvalve?

Nothing is "wrong" with it. But I too think its odd that one of the main components of a Mag is so hard to ano. Who has the skills to tear down and rebuild an X? Sounds like there is a pretty good market for it.

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
09-21-2007, 09:30 AM
am i the only one who noticed the last post for this was 04-16-2006, 03:01 PM before tym posted..... do we really think the guy gives a :confused: right now about annoing a valve.... :tard:

Dend78
09-21-2007, 10:39 AM
maybe he didnt have the funds for it until now :D and was checking his thread daily waiting for a reply

Tym
09-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Lol, Yea.. But I got you all talkin...

I don't think it matters how old the thread is, all that matters is the info presented.

Whee McGee
09-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I was honestly about to ask the same question about the possibilities of anno and stripping the laser engraving when I found this thread. I've been thinking about removing the fading X on my valve, but I has no idea if the gloss would be ruined and if it'd be possible to anno it back to its full glory.

Then I found this thread :headbang:

So, any opinions?

Tym
09-21-2007, 03:06 PM
HaH! Told you.. Or not... lol..

Anyways, I'd say that you can, But it prolly wouldn't be easy or cheep..

If you try sanding or rubbing off the X, you will ruin anodizing, depending on the penetration depth of the anodizing.. See my post in Anodizing vrs powdercoating thread...

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204823

But, as I stated yesterday, the valve is anodized now, so yes.. It can be done again.. Read the post I wrote yesterday in this thread..

Target
09-22-2007, 08:52 PM
As long as they mask/plug the inside of the valve... There is no reason why not, After all, the valve is already anodized...

Just makes sure you stress how important it is that the inside of the valve remains untouched.. I have seen classic valves done up like this, and have never heard of anything going wrong.

My suggestion would be, try it on a classic valve first, if you are at all worried about it, if not, just go ahead and anodize it :) Let me know how it turns out...

You can't anno stainless..

mr doo doo
09-22-2007, 10:26 PM
^^ haha. X-Valves are aluminum buddy, otherwise this thread would have been left alone a while ago.

yes, x-valves are anno-able, but there are risks. even though you can just remove the z-pin, mask off the internals, and have it anno'ed, it runs the risk of becoming a $$200+ paperweight. i have talked to gruntbull before about this.

He does them for around $40, and warns you ahead of time that if it becomes useless, it is not his fault. luckily, some people (including jay) has had it done successfully. if i recall the success rate, it was around 85-90% out of the 10 valves gruntbull did, and the one that came out bad was the very first one he did. Tunaman anno's his valves when they are raw, thus, there shouldn't be any problem.

wetwrks
09-23-2007, 02:19 AM
^^ haha. X-Valves are aluminum buddy, otherwise this thread would have been left alone a while ago.

yes, x-valves are anno-able, but there are risks. even though you can just remove the z-pin, mask off the internals, and have it anno'ed, it runs the risk of becoming a $$200+ paperweight. i have talked to gruntbull before about this.

He does them for around $40, and warns you ahead of time that if it becomes useless, it is not his fault. luckily, some people (including jay) has had it done successfully. if i recall the success rate, it was around 85-90% out of the 10 valves gruntbull did, and the one that came out bad was the very first one he did. Tunaman anno's his valves when they are raw, thus, there shouldn't be any problem.

Tunaman says there have been no colored valves for about a year.

st6212
09-23-2007, 03:03 AM
Is the X and serial# on the x-valve considered laser engraving? I would think if you laser engraved the metal your burning off the surface exposing the aluminium metal itself and actually making an imprint into the surface, ala diamond-tipped engraving.

The X and serial looks like it's tattooed or masked on the surface of the hard anno?

I just see ppl calling it laser engraving, when it can be rubbed off or removed during anno?? :confused:

Target
09-23-2007, 09:28 AM

My above post was in reference to Tym's post about having seen Classic valves anno'd.
Kinda hard to perform the impossible. ( Well, they do say that the impossible only takes an extra hour.)

Whee McGee
09-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Is the X and serial# on the x-valve considered laser engraving? I would think if you laser engraved the metal your burning off the surface exposing the aluminium metal itself and actually making an imprint into the surface, ala diamond-tipped engraving.

The X and serial looks like it's tattooed or masked on the surface of the hard anno?

I just see ppl calling it laser engraving, when it can be rubbed off or removed during anno?? :confused:
Laser engraving was my impression of it. I actually have no idea if it is or isn't.

mr doo doo
09-23-2007, 06:15 PM
oh, my bad then target. didnt mean to call you out or anything.

yes, the "X" and the serial number are laser engraved, hence the white coloring of it. laser engraving can be deep or really thin, depending on the power, so im going to assume it was lightly engraved, meaning rubbing it off would be pretty simple. if it were to be a mask (not tattoo), it would have been one hell of a job to make vinyls as thin as the "X" and as small as the serial numbers.

Dend78
09-23-2007, 06:37 PM
how hard is it to find a laser engraver to put the X back on the X-vavle? so you may not have a SN# but how often do we maggots have to use it?