PDA

View Full Version : Evolution or GX3?

FooTemps
12-17-2001, 10:25 PM
My friend wants an evolution but I might want to reccomend the gx3 to him... which one?

magman007
12-17-2001, 11:29 PM
EVOLUTON BY FAR! the evoulutionis a much beter marker. The gen x 3's are nice anall, but an evor an evo x is unstopabl. Ithas the best besales parta and isworked on like no other. There light as all hell and they shoot good too. THe olny other markers i would have suggested to your friend are a kapp k2 flme cockr, or a planet eclipse cocker. Also, for the money, he could buy an e-mag with nitro. But my vote id for the evolution.

FooTemps
12-17-2001, 11:31 PM
he's getting the evo really cheap cuz the shop owner feels generous... $600... does that seem like a good price for an evo?

Chaos
12-18-2001, 12:26 AM
Evo by far, better performance and better resale. If he can get hooked up, tell him to get an EvoX

FooTemps
12-18-2001, 12:28 AM
He can only get an evo... How much are they usually at a store?

bunkerking
12-18-2001, 06:39 AM
I think that they are around 900, but that might be a little off. But yea, tell him to definately get the evo.

mykroft
12-18-2001, 09:22 AM
Very simple. The evolution is pretty much the best aftermarket cocker. It's made by Belsales, who actually provides WGP with parts for the STO. The Gen X 3 is made by ANS, whose pneumatics are inferior in performance to stock parts, you're better off getting a stock Vertical feed cocker than a Gen X 3, it'll be faster and more reliable.

veteranmag
12-18-2001, 12:25 PM
I do not have first hand experience with an Evolution cocker, but I own a Gen X cocker (earlier model of GenX3). I did a lot of research into which custom cocker to buy and I went with the Gen X because it was a good value, particularly three years ago (performance without the cosmetic bells and whistles). I read the review by Ravi Choppra (www.paintballravi.com) and feel that his review of the gun is accurate (note that ANS did fix that problem with the front reg knob that he mentions in his article).

I've heard that the earlier ANS products had some reliability problems, but recent reviews indicate that those problems have been eliminated and I for one have not had any problems with my Gen X. I can also tell you that their customer service is very good.

I respectfully disagree with mykroft's opinion that a stock cocker is better. While the stock parts have improved dramatically, I woluld not take a stock cocker over a Gen X.

600 is a very good price for a Revolution (although in today's current market - STO prices going down, cocker stock gun improvement, etc. - the list price near one grand is way too much).

Is the store really giving him a good price b/c he's "generous" or because it's been sitting around in the display case gathering dust, does that include verticial regulator and barrel? How old is it? Besale, like most manufacturers, has probably produced improved versions of their pneumatic components.

covadsucks
12-18-2001, 12:59 PM
Ask the store to gas them both up and hammer on the trigger some...give 'em both a quick test drive before you decide on either one...

mykroft
12-18-2001, 01:07 PM
veteranmag: 3 years ago, you got a damned good deal, the stock cockers were definitely inferior to the ANS Gen X, which was almost as good as the 99 STO.

Today, the stock cocker sports a non-chromed STO ram(Far better than ANS ram), the stock 3-Way is shorter throw than the ANS part now. The ANS cocker does sport a better reg for HPA, but the WGP reg is better for CO2. Bolt is a toss-up for preference, stock valve is as good as the ANS part, Sledgehammer reg is as good as the ANS part, STO grip on 2k2 stock cockers is better than the ANS part(IMHO, that's opinion only). ANS just doesn't justify the price difference, Belsales does.

Russ
12-18-2001, 05:06 PM
mykroft said,

you're better off getting a stock Vertical feed cocker than a Gen X 3, it'll be faster and more reliable.

I must disagree. I (OK, my son) has had a GenX-3 since mid-october. It has about 7 cases of paint through it. It has not needed any, I repeat, ANY adjustments, it has only been cleaned after playing and oiled. A stock WGP 'cocker can't be more reliable than that (It can be AS reliable, though)

Faster? The trigger on the GX-3 is super. Excellent for a stock gun, and better than a stock or STO 'cocker. The trigger is very short and crisp. It's easy to get a good ROF.

As far as the pneumatics being inferior, all I can say is they work. They don't leak. Are STO pneus better? I say it's too close to pick a clear winner. You get an aluminum trigger frame with the GX-3, that's set-up perfectly, all for around $600. You get a barrel with the STO, for $700

ANS gives a lifetime guarantee with every gun. Is a GX-3 a better gun than an STO? I say they're pretty close, but I prefer the ANS gun.

FooTemps
12-18-2001, 05:58 PM
My friend hammered on the trigger already... he told me that he was buying it after he demoed it... He has 3 evo's and his business is slow so he wants to have less of everything in stock. He's think about selling two of the evo's for around 600...

Arman/XPM
12-18-2001, 06:28 PM
Footemps,
Check your Private messaging.

mykroft
12-18-2001, 06:33 PM
Russ: I'm not saying the Gen X is bad, it ain't, in fact it's a great gun. When I say less reliable, I'm talking over 2+ years of heavy use. The only part of the STO which is stand-out better is the Ram, only Dye makes a Ram which is smoother or faster. I find the STO frame smoother as well. I just don't think the ANS gives anything over the 2K2 Stock guns, the STO is prettier, and comes with a good barrel, that's it.

It does all come down to what floats your boat. If you like the Gen X, great, enjoy it and play often. As long as you like the gun, and it doesn't break down, you didn't get ripped off, no matter what anyone says.