PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into birds?

Automaggot68
04-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Does anyone else here on the boards own any exotic birds, or breed them?

After a dream I had last night/earlier this morning, I started thinking about when I was younger. I used to breed and rear birds. I used to have loads of them, Conures and all variants, Macaws and variants, African Greys, Cockatiels, Cockatoos, Amazons, Eclectus male and females, and a whole slew of others.

The few of notes, the ones that really stood out were my Peach-faced conure, Pumpkinhead, my Blue fronted Amazon Jasmine, my Umbrella Cockatoo Pebbles, and my African grey, Mr. B.

I went in search of photos, and I founds some that closely resembled my little buddies

http://www.newsbeak.com/mt/missing%20conure.JPG
This Fellow pictured above is a conure, and he closely resembles my pumpkinhead.
Pumpkinhead was a sweetheart, and he was a talker. He would yell at 'the bird in the mirror' and he would play in my bowl of popcorn. He was a little clown and my most favorite of birds.
He has a story all of his own, it would take hours just to talk about his little adventures.

When I moved away from my mother's house, she ended up 'accidentally' leaving his cage door open, and he flew away. Living in the area in Vegas that I did, there were tons of feral cats. I know he didn't last long. Every time I look up in the sky I hope he's alright, but I know he isn't. It broke my heart.

http://www.millenniumparrots.co.uk/images/babyblufrontam.jpg
The gorgeous bird above is a Blue fronted amazon. Part of the parrot family, but still not as large as say.. a Macaw, or a Cockatoo.
The bird pictured above looks almost identical to my own, Jasmine. Jasmine was a character all her own, and she was always found with Pumpkinhead, they were Best friends. She too was a talker, and she would laugh when others did. (She didn't consider herself a bird, she was a human just like everyone else). She was known to fly around the house s her leisure, and she'd terrorize our dog and cats. She too was a big sweetheart, and would often taste and sample our food if we were eating. By this I mean if you have some cereal, she'd submerge her head in it, and then it was playtime.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/cockatoos/images/UmbrellaWBCc2p153X.jpg

Pebbles was an Umbrella cockatoo, and also another sweetypie. When she'd get lonely, she would hop down and off of her cage, and waddle around our house, looking for some affection. She'd usually find me first, and climb up my leg, and either onto my lap or shoulder, to which she'd start talking to me, with her 'Hello the pretty bird', or she'd preen my hair. When a bird preens your hair, its sort of like 'I want you to look pretty for me'.
Pebbles loves bananas, and she would hold either an entire banana,a or half of one in one of her feeties, and munch on it all day. if you dipped it in peanut butter, you were her best Friend. She would usually ditch everything and snack on the peanut butter by itself.

http://www.itsagreysworld.com/images/Avabby2.jpg
these two fellows pictured above are African greys. 'Greys are considered to be the smartest birds on the planet, and they roughly have the IQ of a child the age of 6-8. I used to have a few of these ( I owned more than one of each bird species, as I bred and sold them on a regular basis) but Mr B. Stood out the most. What you should know about larger birds, usually the exotics, is that they need lots of attention and mental stimulation each day, or they will turn to self abuse, and pick their feathers, refuse to eat, etc. When I would go to school, or out with friends I would worry about my smarter birds, and I soon found a way to keep them Happy. I would go to Home Depot and buy some bird friendly rope or line, and tie tight knots into lengths of around 4, to 5 feet. By the time I got home from school Mr B would have taken the knots out, and was ready for another challenge. He would often mimic other people's oices, or even the sound of our phone ringing.

With the exception of Jasmine who now lives with my idiot Mother, and pumpkinhead who is no longer around, I was forced to give up all of my birds at the climax of my parent's divorce, making sure to find a good home for each of them. When I'm finished with College and have more time on my hands, I hope to build another bird family, and maybe breed again.

quik
04-11-2006, 07:46 PM
r u serious.

3pac
04-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Sweet birds. I remember in 5th grade we had 2 budgies in our classroom. They were pretty chill, never really got into birds though, but they're smarter than half the kids over at PBN :p .

Automaggot68
04-11-2006, 07:50 PM
r u serious.

Yep.

Dark Frost17
04-11-2006, 07:50 PM
i always wanted a bird!... i wasent sure where to start....but then i got ferrets... :D ....i am still looking to have a bird still doing a lot of reading on them.....i always love the bird shows here in fl... :wow:

Automaggot68
04-11-2006, 08:01 PM
i always wanted a bird!... i wasent sure where to start....but then i got ferrets... :D ....i am still looking to have a bird still doing a lot of reading on them.....i always love the bird shows here in fl... :wow:

Yeah, I used to go to alot of the Bird shows when I was younger. You get a chance to see alot of great birds.

wanna-b-ballin'
04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
i have birds. i HATE all of them except two. i have an indian ringneck parakeet, a lovebird, and 4 cockatiels.

i like the ringneck, and the lovebird, but despise of the other pests because they are messy, and when i am trying to do something like homework, they wont STFU. i swear to god they sense when i am trying to concentrate, then they try to kill me with their high pitched noises.
i used to have button quail too, over the years they died off, except one that made itself retarded. they jump when they get startled, and they jump high. well i guess it hit its little head too hard one day, and from then on it was psychotic, and sometimes it would flip onto its back and scoot around. i dunno what it was thinking, but it was amusing.
at one time i also had a sun conure, which everyone but my mom loved. it made noise when you didn't pay attention to it, so my mom had headaches, which caused us to have to sell him back to his origional owners. he was extremely tame, and you could hold him on his back, pet him, kiss him, really do whatever you wanted with him.

my house used to be a zoo, i had everything. but my mom decided one day that we would not get more pets, so over the last 10 years they have been passing away. i'm down to lots of fish, birds, turtles, a newt, and dogs right now. i used to have iguanas, toads, gekos, ginuea pigs, etc..

here is pete, he was dumped on us by my grandma when she remarried. he used to be really cute, tame and friendly. but then satan took controll of everything about him except his looks. one of his toes is upside down too. he's almost 18 yrs old now.
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8917/img01975id.jpg
one of my favorite pics.

Automaggot68
04-11-2006, 08:09 PM
at one time i also had a sun conure, which everyone but my mom loved. it made noise when you didn't pay attention to it, so my mom had headaches, which caused us to have to sell him back to his origional owners. he was extremely tame, and you could hold him on his back, pet him, kiss him, really do whatever you wanted with him.

Birds and most animals become annoyances, or 'pests' when the owner is doing something incorrectly.(not than I'm infering anything) But yeah, Conures are known for their high pitched screams when they don't recieved enough attention.

wanna-b-ballin'
04-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Birds and most animals become annoyances, or 'pests' when the owner is doing something incorrectly.(not than I'm infering anything) But yeah, Conures are known for their high pitched screams when they don't recieved enough attention.

it wasn't really a high pitched scream. it was just rattling toys in his cage and makeing quiet noises. i dunno why my mom claimed to have headaches.
we only had him for two weeks, and he was like that the whole time we had him.

Automaggot68
04-11-2006, 08:14 PM
it wasn't really a high pitched scream. it was just rattling toys in his cage and makeing quiet noises. i dunno why my mom claimed to have headaches.
we only had him for two weeks, and he was like that the whole time we had him.

Ahh, so then he was just being a bird :)

wanna-b-ballin'
04-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Pebbles loves bananas .............one of her feeties

lol

speak of the devil, a bird just hit my window. there is a tree directly in front of it, and it happens all the time; and they always survive.

behemoth
04-11-2006, 08:22 PM
I personally own two North American Flipping Birds.

Automaggot68
04-11-2006, 08:29 PM

Hahahahahahahah

personman
04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
my friend has a bird that friggin hates me. apparently it can talk but whenever i go over the bird just opens its mouth and gets angry at me

its obviously just jealous of my schlong

Automaggot68
04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
my friend has a bird that friggin hates me. apparently it can talk but whenever i go over the bird just opens its mouth and gets angry at me

its obviously just jealous of my schlong

Yeah, most of the time smarter animals tend to shun, or stay away from idiots.

personman
04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, most of the time smarter animales tend to shun, or stay away from idiots.
that really hurt :(

:(

wanna-b-ballin'
04-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Touche!

MoeMag
04-12-2006, 02:12 AM
=

here is pete, he was dumped on us by my grandma when she remarried. he used to be really cute, tame and friendly. but then satan took controll of everything about him except his looks. one of his toes is upside down too. he's almost 18 yrs old now.
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8917/img01975id.jpg
one of my favorite pics.

Wow... thats strange. I have a cockatiel that looks alot like that, but she has a spotted yellow body instead of grey. Even weirder... her name is pete as well. I know girl bird named pete... well when she flew into our backyard she was really young and we didn't find out pete was a she until about 2 years after having her when she laid an egg. :tard:

kosmo
04-12-2006, 05:19 AM
I used to have a bunch of wax billed finches and a couple parakeets. They all had a cage, but we never had the doors closed on them so they did whatever they wanted and just slept in their cages. Ive always wanted an African Grey though. Perhaps when I get my freedom back Ill acquire one. Its rather difficult to smuggle pets into the barracks. I did have a python though, but any sort of animal dwelling would have been too obvious so I just let him live under the refrigerator since he couldnt fit under the room doors to escape.

stop whining buy a mag
04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Kind of ironic to find this thread as my Computer Applications II teacher is rambling on about how many parrots he has. I think he has 12 but he's gone into so many stories that I've stopped paying attention.

/Chickens are better pets
/I wish I had one.

Vex
04-12-2006, 07:15 AM
'Greys are considered to be the smartest birds on the planet, and they roughly have the IQ of a child the age of 6-8.
I know Greys are smart, however, I find it hard to believe they have the intelligence of a 6 - 8 year old child. Border Collies are considered to be the smartest dogs and they have the intelligence of an average 5 year old. Also, their brains are immensely larger than the Grey's. Logic is dictating to me on this one.
An ex-girlfriend of mine had a Grey. It was a cool bird but I always knew that her pot-bellied pig was smarter. I hated that pig.

Altimas
04-12-2006, 08:27 AM

Darnit you beat me to this one.

Soopa Villain17
04-12-2006, 08:55 AM
i had 3 Cockatiels.

BeaverEater
04-12-2006, 04:17 PM
ya i breed ducks in my backyard, then shoot them and eat them. :clap:

wanna-b-ballin'
04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
here's my indian ringneck, Bob:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/497/img01994xo.jpg

wanna-b-ballin'
04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
oh, here is one that fits Pete's personality better
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8438/img0197a0qa.jpg

billybob_81067
04-12-2006, 11:58 PM
I have 6 chickens and 2 ducks... Does that count? :)

Vex
04-13-2006, 12:04 AM
I have 6 chickens and 2 ducks... Does that count? :)
Can you say, "Avian Flu"?

:D

LinearGoose
04-13-2006, 01:00 AM
I hate birds so bad because i had a bad experience with them. :mad: I just want to shot them all. :shooting: not really but anyways I do want a blowfish though.

wanna-b-ballin'
04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
blowfish?
fish and birds are totally different animals.