PDA

View Full Version : Mag Part Compatibility Issues (foregrip related)

emumikey
04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
I searched the forums and did the research and it appeared that all foregrips would be compatible with my classic mag. So, I buy this foregrip that has a dovetail mount with a single screw that is supposed to go through the top of my rail and into the foregrip. Problem is, I dont have a have a hole in my rail! Please advise...

I could easily drill a hole to mount the foregrip, but that does not answer the bigger question. Why isn't there a hole in the first place? Is there a resource somewhere that shows all the different products made by AGD over the years and their compatibility?

Thank you

Dryden
04-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Sorry to hear about that, but the rail problem is a quick fix. The Automag/Minimag rails will have a variety of mods done to them from the factory based on their time of release. For example, all Minimags have the front hole drilled, the rear ones not. All early-mid 90s Automags have the two rear holes drilled (came with a back bottle adapter) and the front one is not. Some have a rail pump slot, while some have all three holes drilled, and others don't have any of them drilled.

It's really mix-n-match based on what marker the rail went to and what year it was released.

If you look at the rail from the inside (off the marker), is there a countersunk hole that just isn't punched all the way through, or is there just a slight dimple marking where the hole should go?

Is the bottom of the rail dovetailed to accept a flush fit with the grip, or is the bottom of the rail completely flat, which would mean you've got an RT rail?

emumikey
04-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Dryden,

Thanks for the response, and from the seller, lol! Lets fill in the blanks:

Rail is dovetailed on the bottom
Front hole is countersunk, not punched, easily drilled out
Two rear holes for a back bottle

So I guess if I just punch out that hole I will be good?

Thanks for all the info, I had no idea there were so many differences in the rails. I have only owned RT rails before, I thought there was just a classic, mini, and RT rail.

Dayspring
04-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Correct.

So I guess if I just punch out that hole I will be good?

Dryden
04-12-2006, 08:31 AM
If the hole is already countersunk you're good to go. If you don't have a drill press, or access to one, you can punch out the remaining aluminum with a Dremel. It won't take 5 minutes to do.

emumikey
04-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I have a drill press. What size hole? I live in the metric system and I assume this thing is standard.

Dryden
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
The bolt you're using is 1/4-20 x 1/2"

emumikey
04-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Got it - thanks a bunch!