PDA

View Full Version : A dye matrix ripoff

PnueMagger
04-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Does anyone see the similarityes with the PM's and DM's here?

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=8WGQ0oQa9LSQbcAlDxJQeo7O-RD0iAWr8rQ=?ProductID=h43AqArbV5kAAAEK_Ym5OWZB

ThePixelGuru
04-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes, we do, because it's a private label Matrix. Dye and Evil worked together on that one, and it's pretty old news by now. Sorry to tell you man, but you gotta keep up. ;)

Lohman446
04-14-2006, 02:53 PM
And they are very nice :) I bought one, got rid of my PM5. They are very comparable to a PM6 and look a lot better in person than in the picture. They come with an Evil Driver barrel rather than the two piece proto. I think I liked the proto barrel better. The first 250 have "Minion" carved in the side (later ones won't).

Teamslayer76
04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
The best part is the Evil Minion comes stock witha Proto Grips and a Dye Hybrid regulator. :)
I wonder how the project got started between the two companies. :confused:

Lohman446
04-14-2006, 03:16 PM
The best part is the Evil Minion comes stock witha Proto Grips and a Dye Hybrid regulator. :)
I wonder how the project got started between the two companies. :confused:

The regulator is going to stay, there was pretty heavy protest when they suggested putting the detonator reg on there. The later ones are likely to get the Evil grips.

Better yet there is rumor that Evils next gun is going to be a private label of another very popular marker.

My understanding is Evil realized the problems they had with the Omen and Pimp, needed something that was known to work and work well, and got the best deal they could. I think the Pimp was an afterthought - remember originally it was supposed to be the Omen, Minion, and Heathen.

Teamslayer76
04-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Heathen? Thats new to me. Maybe I don't keep up with PMI/EVIL to much. Never really likes what they had to offer. What I do know was that the Pimp was going to be more a Impulse than anything. Isnt the Omen somewhat like a Autococker, closed bolt design, ect ect.

Seems like they need to do some work...

mobsterboy
04-14-2006, 04:26 PM
it had a sidefeed if i recall tho, so basically they had "cam arms" that slapped a ball into the breech, eliminating doublefeeding, but with detents these days and getting the breech/ball/bolt closing right isnt an issue anymore. They were tinker guns, but most were looking for more wellknown, less parts. Its basically taking a simple thing and adding a process to make it better but more complicated

SpecialBlend2786
04-14-2006, 06:29 PM
it had a sidefeed if i recall tho, so basically they had "cam arms" that slapped a ball into the breech, eliminating doublefeeding, but with detents these days and getting the breech/ball/bolt closing right isnt an issue anymore. They were tinker guns, but most were looking for more wellknown, less parts. Its basically taking a simple thing and adding a process to make it better but more complicated

yeah, that was the Omen. Basically a closed bolt sear tripper.

I loved the Omens. When set up correctly they were awesome, and you can't beat the lifetime warrenty

Lohman446
04-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Heathen? Thats new to me. Maybe I don't keep up with PMI/EVIL to much. Never really likes what they had to offer. What I do know was that the Pimp was going to be more a Impulse than anything. Isnt the Omen somewhat like a Autococker, closed bolt design, ect ect.

Seems like they need to do some work...

When the Omen was first released it was supposed to be the first of a three gun set - the Omen, The Minion, and The Heathen. The Pimp snuck in there, sort of an afterthought (but I think it had a lot to do with testing the SP electro patent).

dahoeb
04-15-2006, 12:06 AM
cool gun

Carbon
04-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Lates Pass

punkncat
04-15-2006, 09:25 AM
I guess they gave up on trying to build a decent marker on their own.

Teamslayer76
04-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I noticed that "cam arm" it looks weird, well so does the whole setup..
Might just be me, but It doesnt seem to efficient, or built for speed.
http://www.deadlywind.com/tech/marker_animations/omen_animation.gif ;)

Edit:I've never really used a Omen, but how can there be room for a paintball, and the bolt assembly? Also, does the blot not fire the ball, just air? :spit_take

mobsterboy
04-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Edit:I've never really used a Omen, but how can there be room for a paintball, and the bolt assembly? Also, does the blot not fire the ball, just air? :spit_take

1) No, it really isnt built for speed, but they had cam arm upgrades for "faster firing"
B) Notice no detent. They tried to take something simple like a spring-held detent and turn it into somethign that never needed replacing, just tuning
3) I dont know what your getting at. Of course the bolt fires the ball, with air cycloned through the bolt. its a "closed bolt" operation while firing. I really dont know/care if its considered "closed bolt" but when the trigger is pulled, the bolt IS closed so whatever. Heres what you dont get when you say "OMFGROFLCOPTER, how is there that much room for everything". I then remind you that this is like a side stack feedtube, that then gets more balls pushed in. The bolt pushes forward, closing the breech hole to anything but the barrel with the paintball in it. Then it fires

Teamslayer76
04-15-2006, 07:56 PM
From the animation, it makes the cam arm seem big, I was under the assumption that it's a double stack single tube...

In the animation, the bolt does not move foward, making little contact while fireing the paintball. The bolt does however move back. :confused:

Like I said I've never shot a omen, or even taken a good look at it. Just never really cared for them.

Lohman446
04-15-2006, 07:58 PM
From the animation, it makes the cam arm seem big, I was under the assumption that it's a double stack single tube...

In the animation, the bolt does not move foward, making little contact while fireing the paintball. The bolt does however move back. :confused:

Like I said I've never shot a omen, or even taken a good look at it. Just never really cared for them.

It shoots like an autococker. In theory the bolt does not ever move the ball in any paintball gun, it is the air. In an open bolt gun (mag) the air is held back by the bolt. When the bolt moves forward it allows the air to move (the on/off lets it through) and seals off the breech.

In a closed bolt marker the bolt is forward, sealing off the bolt, and the blast of air moves the ball. The bolt itself does not move the ball.

rkjunior303
04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
You guys are all wrong about the Omen. I had one for over a year and the thing shot great, for a sear tripping electro (with the PDP/1.5 board).

The Cam arms were designed to be a mechanical anti-chop -- they would manually push a ball into the chamber after every cycle, since they were connected to the action of the bolt. The original ones weren't beefy enough to handle the pressure of a Halo B but would work with a Z-Boarded Egg fine.. Once Evil came out with the 2nd version of the cam arms, the Halo B problem was eliminated.

For the money, they really are a great little marker. Dirt cheap and they have a LIFETIME warranty from Evil. Sure, it's got that back block (which is more of a cosmetic thing) but who cares? People tend to automatically knock it because it's not one of the new DM-Whateversoftheweek. I never had a problem with mine and it was just as fast as my DM4, Viking, Cyborg, etc

There's no detent because it's a CLOSED BOLT marker -- it doesn't need one. It relies on a proper paint/barrel match.