PDA

View Full Version : Short Barrels

Kyle.Kimber
04-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey, I was wondering, if barrel to paint match is perfect, porting is good, etc. will a shorter barrel be less accurate than a longer one? I mean like oh say a 16" to like a 6" stubby, or even just a 12" to a 10 or an 8. Also does carbon fiber really do anything different than an aluminum, or does it just look cool?

Thanks

mobsterboy
04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey, I was wondering, if barrel to paint match is perfect, porting is good, etc. will a shorter barrel be less accurate than a longer one? I mean like oh say a 16" to like a 6" stubby, or even just a 12" to a 10 or an 8. Also does carbon fiber really do anything different than an aluminum, or does it just look cool?

Thanks

carbon fiber = cool and lighter :cool: and unravels after a long period of time :rolleyes:

Lohman446
04-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Under some circumstances there is a good reason to use a short effective length barrel. Short barrels cut off the acceleration abruptly by venting and this has the effect of tightening up the shot to shot velocity variation.

Consistency helps in accuracy, one less variable.

That being said most modern barrels are not a single effective length, they have a short control bore and then go out to a large bore and porting.