PDA

View Full Version : Tank Help

Dye Angel Guy
04-15-2006, 01:07 PM
I am swapping out my tank on my max flow and I was wondering do I use locktite or anything to secure the other tank on? I am switching from a 68 to a 45 and I took the tank of my max flow and my tank of my PMI preset reg but I can't tell if locktite or something else was used...anyone know the answer?

bentothejam1n
04-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I think you should use teflon tape. Loctite only makes thing harder to unscrew, not seal

Chaos_Theory!
04-15-2006, 01:36 PM
You dont use loctite of teflon tape. All you need to do is screw the tank on the maxflo reg. The pressure of air when its filled will hold the tank on. Using loctite or teflon also disables the fail safe if the tank is overfilled.

Pacifist_Farmer
04-15-2006, 02:37 PM
The instructions say use blue 242 loctite which if I'm not mistaken is a light duty thread locker and a sealant like teflon tape.

bentothejam1n
04-15-2006, 02:42 PM
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133042
it doesnt list 242 under sealants
i'd just take it into your proshop and see what they have to say

deathstalker
04-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Unless you've been properly trained on how to handle a vessel that can hold up to 3000-4500psi, methinks you should leave it to the pros. :)

Pacifist_Farmer
04-15-2006, 09:08 PM
it doesnt list 242 under sealants

Touche, but I will stipulate that any solidfying fluid placed between two interlocking threads will act as a sealant in some fashion.

On another note, looking back through the maxflo instructions the only thing thay say about the assembly with respect to warnings, is that the cylinder must fit tightly to the regulator body.

It was my impression that one of the benifits behind the maxflo was that the user could disassemble/assemble the cylinder/reg whenever they chose, without needing a proshop.

* The instruction do not call for locktite on the cylinder threads, just those between the reg body halves.

Dye Angel Guy
04-15-2006, 09:38 PM
See that is what I thought. I have seen people just unscrew and swap tanks before on max flows. Maybe I should just email SP and see what they say. I bet that is the best bet.

MoeMag
04-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Do not lock tight do not Teflon tape do not pass go do not collect $200.

My maxflos never has had any type of sealant on the threads, you don't need it. just screw it in make sure it is tight, and when you air it up you cannot get that thing off if you tried(it has about 2773 pounds of force pushing on the threads on a full tank). Besides even if it did come loose it has a safety bleed on the stem (yet another reason not to lock tight the thing, you might clog up the hole and really make it dangerous.)

You need to be able to remove the tank from the regulator for (regular) servicing, that you can and should do yourself.

Just don’t do anything really stupid, like dropping it or hitting it with a hammer :cool:

:cheers:

bentothejam1n
04-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Touche, but I will stipulate that any solidfying fluid placed between two interlocking threads will act as a sealant in some fashion
i dont know anything so dont listen to me
sersiously dont

Dye Angel Guy
04-15-2006, 10:49 PM
If I hit my tank with a hammer I thing somehting is wrong in the first place...