PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of incorect chronos

thecavemankevin
12-18-2001, 12:09 PM
I went to a paintball field Sunday and geared up for play. It was my first time to this field as it is a relatively new one. They have a chronograph set up at each entry point into the separate fields. I was standing in line waiting to chrono my mag at the start of the second game. This was my second time chronoing, (I chronoed at 275 for the first game) and when I placed my barrel down on the chrono and shot off a round it said 182. I thought ?oh crap, what has gone wrong with my mag, it has always been pretty constant. So I cranked it up and it said 250, 225, 290?.all with out messing with the velocity adjuster. So I shot off another round and looked at the ball as it was flying this time. I am not a human chrono, but I know it was well above the limit. So I told the ref to hold on a second and I went over to the other field and chronoed, it said 385.

It was obvious that the other chrono was wrong, but the scary thing is, is that the ref didn?t notice it and had let several people walk onto the field already. He of course called them back, but what would have happened if I hadn?t noticed it? I can sure tell you that little punk I bunkered at the end of the game would have been in a lot more pain.

The moral of the storry is, always take a closer look when something doesn't seem right.

mykroft
12-18-2001, 12:16 PM
And don't be afraid to (tsk tsk Mycroft, you know better..) to the refs if someone seems to be hot. Got hit by a newbie with a spyder clone of some sort saturday, didn't feel right, so I had him crony'd, he was 40fps over the limit (230fps limit for indoor field). I've been hit by a 390fps gun at the same field (Newbies shouldn't muck with the dwell settings on Angels without crony'ing)

the JoKeR
12-18-2001, 12:26 PM
How about a new thread for the "welt of the month". I think we've all been pegged by a hot gun and know the pain! We've all probably given a hot shot too (before buying a Mag, that is):D

mykroft
12-18-2001, 12:58 PM
Buddy of mine picked up a welt of the year at Skyball, got hit by a hot angel at about 8 inches, right in the neck. Check the pictures at Warpig.

Hexis
12-18-2001, 01:00 PM
I had something similar happen to me. At a big game I chronoed in at 280 (285 limit for the day, I leave a lil room). I get chronoed at the "hospital" and that chrono says I'm shooting 310. So I was removed for that game (no big deal, not pissed about being safe). I went back to the original chrono and was shoointg 280 again. I have a ReTro and Nitro, so my vel dosn't change more than about 3 fps. a 30 fps difference when they are removing people for shooting hot is crap. Is there no way to calibrate those things?

thecavemankevin
12-18-2001, 07:10 PM
i am sure there is some way to calibrate them, just like cops calibrate radar guns.

If nothing else, line two chronos up and fire one ball over both and make sure they read similar.

Farlow
12-18-2001, 08:12 PM
I made a field in my backyard where we get together to play. We did not have a chrono, but trust everyone for playing safe. Well the guys I play with never really complain about someone shooting hot. However, the last game of the day I snuck up on my cousin hiding behind a tree, shot a few rounds saw no paint hits, so he called himself out anyway because I had a good beed on him. When we were walking away I notice that one of my pellets punched a hole in the side of the hopper. Next week we all chipped in and bought a chrono. I chronoed my gun and well lets just say it was kind of high...... You would think being in our thirties we would have known better. Saftey First. Got to learn to practice what I preach.