PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Test

chip08
04-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Alright, I need to get my tank reHydroed. The only place near me is a scuba shop that has to send my tank out for four weeks to get it tested. Is that normal? Does anyone know of a faster way to get this done. I live in Maryland.

ThePixelGuru
04-18-2006, 10:20 AM
http://hydrotester.com/

Also, try local fire stations.

mrbrutal
04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
I have seen ads where crossfire now does hydro testing

http://www.crossfireinc.com/

BigEvil
04-18-2006, 02:37 PM

I just had a tank done with Hydrotesters.com and it was back before I missed it. Dont even mess with the scuba shops. They usually are twice the price and 4xs the wait. Plus, do you really want your tank bouncing around with scuba tanks on a truck or van? The last 3 places Ive used returned tanks to me screwed up. I like these hydrotester guys alot.

PirateGent
04-18-2006, 02:45 PM

Not all Fire Departments hydro test on site. I know where I was there was a Firefighter Equipment company that use to come in and test our SCBAs.

My local ProShop uses the same Firefighter Equipment company to do their testing.

woodsy
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
There is a place up here in Gilford NH that will do it. 1 day turnaround. PM me for the details...

Woodsy

going_home
04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I found the cheapest and fastest was a local welding supply house.
Get in the yellow pages and start calling.
The local paintball store was 50.00 + tax and the welding supply was 21.00 tax included.

Vex
04-19-2006, 01:09 AM
HYDROTESTER.COM

That is all you need to know. Don't be a cheapskate when it comes to your paintball equipment. Spend the $30 and have it done CORRECTLY by people who know what they are doing! This is ALL they do!

Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed!

Besides, do you really want a fire dept. or scuba shop to handle your tank? Have you SEEN what theirs look like???!!!

I'm not an employee--just a really satisfied customer.

grazymoto
04-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I may be wrong, but most fire departments that I know of are not a DOT retest facility. Also a lot of welding supply, scuba shops, fire equipment supply places, and paintball shops have another company do the hydrostatic testing for them (that holds true for my area, anyway, and that is why they charge so much money) I would recomend trying a local fire extinguisher company. Most fire extinguisher companies are DOT retest facilities. We only charge $12.00 to do a high pressure test. NOW! I am not saying send it to me, but I would bet that the local fire extinguisher company in your area will test your tank for around the same money and you will not have to ship it. If your local company is like us, you should be able to pick up your tank the very next day--if not the same day---depends on how busy they are.

grazymoto
04-19-2006, 12:02 PM
By the way: from professional point of view hydrotesters.com looks to be an outstanding place to send something. Their prices are fair and they look like they know what they are doing. That is coming from a guy that part of his livelihood depends on hydro-testing...

PirateGent
04-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Besides, do you really want a fire dept. or scuba shop to handle your tank? Have you SEEN what theirs look like???!!!

Speaking AS A FORMER FIREFIGHTER who is both SCBA qualified and S&R qualified YES I HAVE SEEN our tanks tested - and that comes from someone who put their life in them.

(Sorry for the rant but I said "Not all Fire Departments hydro test on site. I know where I was there was a Firefighter Equipment company that use to come in and test our SCBAs.")

Either way - make sure you get your tanks tested - we're talking about your own safety!

Corbet
04-19-2006, 10:10 PM
If I start calling around local fire extinguisher companies, will I have to take of the regulator to get it tested?

Vex
04-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Speaking AS A FORMER FIREFIGHTER who is both SCBA qualified and S&R qualified YES I HAVE SEEN our tanks tested - and that comes from someone who put their life in them.

(Sorry for the rant but I said "Not all Fire Departments hydro test on site. I know where I was there was a Firefighter Equipment company that use to come in and test our SCBAs.")

Either way - make sure you get your tanks tested - we're talking about your own safety!
I never said anything about the quality of the tanks OR that firefighters tested them themselves. If you look at the general COSMETIC condition of either SCUBA or SCBA tanks, they are not in the greatest COSMETIC condition. With paintballers spending a lot of money on their equipment and a big part of that being on how their equipment looks COSMETICALLY, then this is a big deal.

Just send your tank to Hydrotester.com--they have a 24 hour turn-around time.

Vex
04-20-2006, 12:11 AM
If I start calling around local fire extinguisher companies, will I have to take of the regulator to get it tested?
Most likely. They may not be able to take your reg. off.

I still say send your tank to Hydrotester.com. All they specialize in is paintball tanks. They can remove any regulator.

PirateGent
04-20-2006, 08:22 AM
I never said anything about the quality of the tanks OR that firefighters tested them themselves. If you look at the general COSMETIC condition of either SCUBA or SCBA tanks, they are not in the greatest COSMETIC condition. With paintballers spending a lot of money on their equipment and a big part of that being on how their equipment looks COSMETICALLY, then this is a big deal.

Just send your tank to Hydrotester.com--they have a 24 hour turn-around time.

No offense taken. :)

It's a "tank" it just needs to work, in my book. Just remember the old saying "no combat ready unit has ever passed dress inspection." :)

grazymoto
04-20-2006, 10:49 AM
As far as you having to take off the reg goes: They should have no problem taking it off without damage. Keep in mind every fire extinguisher or any pressure vessel for that matter have a valve or reg in the cylinder. Hydrotesting is a not that big of deal. You have an adapter that screws into the tank (after the reg or valve is removed from the tank that is). Water is put into the tank/cylinder, and then the tank/cylinder is lowered into a test jacket. The expansion of the cylinder within the test jacket and the displacement of water from the test jacket tells you if the tank exceeded expansion rates/ cylinder tolerances. If the tank/cylinder passes the test, the tank is put on an air dryer and cleared of all moisture. Once the tank is dryed, the valve (or reg) is replaced and then the cylinder is either labeled or stamped. Steel or alum shells are stamped...fiber wrapped are labeled and epoxied. One other thing we do is change orings when we test tanks or cylinders that have them.

Now, that is in a nutshell what we do. I cannot speak for the fire extinguisher companies in your area. BUT! The poceedure should be the same. If they do high pressure testing, they have been certified by DOT or they could not retest.

The only thing the fire extinguisher company would not be able to do for you would be rebuild your reg or something like that. If all you are needing is to get your tank tested, I am certain they could do it. Just call the local companies and ask them about it.

If you are terribly concerned, send it to hydrotesters.com. Like I said, they look like they know what is going on and it certainly sounds as though they know from what has been said on this thread.