PDA

View Full Version : Full-suspension mountain bikes

-Tab
04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I've been in the market for a new bike for a while, but haven't really decided what to look for.
Obviously, I would never buy a bike without riding it, but I was just hoping to get some ideas on what to look for when I do go to our local store.

I really didn't want to spend over $1600 or so, as I still need to paintball this summer. But if I have to spend more in order to get what I really want, I probably can.

The basics I want:
Hydraulic disk brakes (I could probably get by with mechanical)
Full suspension
Light-weight

I was also looking into Cannondale's Lefty fork. I've heard once you try lefty, you'll never go back.
What I want to know is why.

So far I've looked into:
Most of the Giant Maestro line
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
Cannondale Rush - probably the 600 or 800
Specialized Epic (The brain...waste of money or not?)

Almost all of those are over what I wanted to spend, so I was hoping some of you guys had some ideas. But like I said, I might end up throwin' down some more money in order to get something I'll be happy with.

A friend of mine just picked up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp. for less than $1400. Our local store had a massive sale, so I might have to wait until another one comes along.

Gitaroo Man
04-18-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm not going to recommend you a bike but I will comment on the Lefty Fork. I had a Cannondale with a lefty fork for about 2 years and used it for almost everything from road to full downhill. All I can say is I would NOT buy one again. It's perfectly fine I guess for road, medium trail, and X-country but nothing downhilly. Way too "bouncy". I don't see why anyone would get that over a normal fork. I really disliked mine and did not think it was worth the money. But that's just my opinion...if you want more info just ask. I had a full suspension Cannondale.

RapidTransit
04-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Trust me when I say this buy a bike at the end of the model year, my choices were Haro Ryan Nyquist (no one had them when I was buying), K2 Dennis McCoy didn't have 3-piece cranks(should have bought it any ways because hes the best rider ever!), finally my third option was a Schwinn paid $400 for a $800 Joey Garcia Signature because it was the end of the season and model year.

-Tab
04-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Gitaroo - I'll keep that in mind. I'll be doing some downhill for sure, too. I'll have to ride one sometime to see what all the excitement is about.

Rapid - Now that you mention K2, I just started looking into them. I completely forgot about them. They seem to fit my price range well, so I'll check these out when I go shopping.

Gitaroo Man
04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm not too sure the prices of Rocky Mountains recently but if you can find one at your local store within your budget during the sale/end of the year I'd totally recommend one of them, I love em!

RoamingStorm
04-18-2006, 04:31 PM
go cannondale, they take beatings like no other bike ive seen, they are extremely light, and they work

Gitaroo Man
04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I beg to differ about the Cannondales...my Cannondales back sway bar SNAPPED in half, hydraulic disc level snapped offer with all the fluid leaking out, lefty fork spring had to be replaced, and both rims on it got bent. All from normal trail/downhill biking.

RoamingStorm
04-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Ive gotten in plenty of accidents with mine, still rides great, maybe Im just a special case though

oneworld
04-18-2006, 05:36 PM
i reccomend a next ;)

1600 bucks! your car still has ugly hubcaps :p

buy some rims man.. or buy my car :tard:

ne ways nolan had a really nice specialized, had alot of what you are looking for.. i would say go with one of those.......dont you have a nice giant now tho?

LudavicoSoldier
04-19-2006, 12:31 AM
I love my Specialized full suspension (Ground Control). The new FSRs are downright awesome for the money!

Stix
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
If you had money to burn, I'd suggest a Klein. The build quality is just freakin' amazing. I love mine. However, I also have heard good things about fetish cycles from some people I've ridden with. check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2006-Fetish-Cycles-Seduction-Mountain-Bike-Truvativ_W0QQitemZ7235247197QQcategoryZ98084QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At that component spec, I think it's an awesome price.

As for the specialized epic with brain shock; wasn't that the first dual suspension bike to ever win a world cup?

Carbon Blue
04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
FSR :headbang:

gibby
04-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Here's a small bike company out here in SoCal that makes great frames! Forget all the commercial stuff like GT, Diamond Back, etc....If I had the funds to make a bike, I'd probably build this frame up: http://www.quamenbikes.com/QUAMEN26/E-MOFRAME.html

http://www.quamenbikes.com/QUAMEN26/PICS/E-MOFRAMES1.JPG

Of course, it's probably out of your budget since the frame alone is about $800??

thecavemankevin
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
wow, i've been out of riding for way too long. I actually have been thinking about getting back into it in another couple months.

NEwayz, whats the deal with the lefty forks? Whats the point?

What no love for Trek?

Gitaroo Man
04-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I really never got the point of the lefty fork and I even had one...maybe weight reduction?