PDA

View Full Version : My New Cocker Project

Sk8ermog
04-23-2006, 04:44 AM
I'm currently in the middle of a mag project involving Luke, Rogue and soon Tunaman himself (but he doesn't know it yet). The project is getting kind of expensive so I was tempted to sell my Dye cocker. After some playing with it I fell back in love with the feel and look of it. Also since my mag will be down for awhile I needed another gun to play with. Now I'm looking at my cocker thinking it needs to be a lot lighter. So how do you lighten a cocker you ask? Well you mill it down to size. So I found a great little website called Turtle Innovations (http://www.turtleinnovation.com/conversions.htm) where they milled cockers into Turtle cockers.

Well I like the turtle cocker, but now they are offering a new Black Magic conversion that is looking pretty sweet. Just like the new WGP Black Magic the bolt stays in the body and there is simply a slit cut in the side and on top for the linkage arm and a bolt pin to connect the bolt and hammer.

So now my question is this. Should I go through with a massive upgrade and do you think it will make the gun look better, shoot faster, increase it's resale value, and/or be a lot lighter?

I have been wanting to know how it would look so I played in photoshop with a picture of my cocker. Here is what I came up with:

http://www.pbase.com/rgunn4/image/59051244.jpg

I would want to get the slits milled, front block converted to a Delrin mini-front block, hybred feed-neck (already purchased) and add a CP reg. I'd also like to get a new Z-Board or E2 frame on there, but we'll see...

So what I'm struggleing with now is do I sell my spare Hypermag to cover the cost of this new project or should I just sell the cocker as it is and save my money? I only really need one gun and after my main hypermag is done I'll be very happy with playing with it, but I know I'll just love this cocker and miss it very much if I sell it. I don't know what to do. What do you guys think?

Dark Frost17
04-23-2006, 08:00 AM
thats really cool.....i might have that done to my autococker.....and my pump....maybe when i build it :D
awsome.....
how do u think it will look on this...?
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/35000/autococker2_tn.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic.html?pIMAGE_ID=35613)

mobsterboy
04-23-2006, 09:21 AM
i still cant believe you drilled for eblade eyes. I would have raceframed it

ps, your photoshop skillzorz are not so hotzorz. Arent you a major in photography and stuff liek that? Corel is your friend

Jonno06
04-23-2006, 11:58 AM
1. delrin body kit
2.turtle'd
3. thats it. you win. :cheers:

Sk8ermog
04-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Dark Frost17: I think the cocking pin would have to be really long to work on that AIM body. I don't know if they could do it. You could email them.

mobsterboy: Yeah I'm a graphic designer/editor/computer nerd, but when I only spend 10 minutes on it this is what you get. ;) Also considering I bought the E1 frame for such an amazing deal I figuared going all the way and getting it drilled for an eye. Oh and thanks again for the great deal. :D

Jonno06: Cool what do I win?

SummaryJudgement
04-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Hey guys! I'm a mod at halfcocker.com. You guys should check it out. There is lots of resources for these kind of questions exactly. Enjoy.......

Dayspring
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Cut any other cocker than a Dye cocker!

Those are gorgeous! Why chop it?! :eek:

rkjunior303
04-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I personally feel putting any serious money into a cocker is a waste of money, unless you plan on keeping it forever and ever.. Resale on them is HORRIBLE.

Sk8ermog
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
SummaryJudgement: Thank you so much. I don't know how I missed that site. Glad to see a cocker forum MOD in the automags forum. Just goes to show there still is respect in the world of paintball. :D

Dayspring: I fully agree with you and thats why the Black Magic mod looks the best to me. The only milling is for a small slit on top and in the back. So the body won't change and I can put it back to the original set up if I want.

rkjunior303: I agree with you also. I have really fallen in love with this cocker and the way it shoots. I played with again this weekend and it worked great, but I just hated how the back block kept hitting my mask cause I was playing with it like my mag in the snake. I ended up putting it down and played the rest of the day with my hypermag. Dye cockers seem to hold thier value the best out of all cockers I've seen. A mech Dye just went for $400 on ebay and for what I payed for this cocker and everything on it if I sold it for half that I'd get a profit. :cool: So with this mod I'm think it will help the value by a little, but in the long run it should be worth it. We'll see.

Keep your thoughts coming guys. I'm about 4 days away from makeing my mind up.

SummaryJudgement
04-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Anytime man! I figured the site would be what you were looking for ;)

CoolHand
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Personally, I'd look for one that's setup just like you want already, and buy it for $350 instead of spending $500 on the conversion, and butchering a beautiful body like that one.

Sk8ermog
04-27-2006, 03:12 AM
well like I said it wouldn't be butchering it cause the conversion I'm looking at wouldn't mill off any of the body. It would simply cut a few grooves in the side and top to make room for the new bolt and top link pin. I'm pretty sure I can just put the old bolt in and it would still work. I asked them about that and I'm waiting to hear back. Also the conversion would cost no more then $140 and I haven't been able to find one like it. The Black Magic WGP came out with is having some major problems and runs about $700. I figuared I can have the same look, but with a higher performing gun for only $140.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. I'm currently talking with the sales department of the website. I think I'm going to do it, but we'll see what they have to say about the converting it back part. Thanks for your input.

Dark Frost17
04-27-2006, 04:50 AM
i say go for it its cheap and great looking removes the back block and alot of kick!!! :cheers:
just dont make it a mini.....