PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion of Pintabll on ESPN2

Carbon
04-26-2006, 12:58 AM
as a paintball enthusiast, horay! big ups ect ect.

But as a sports fan/regular tv viewer, i thought it was boring as hell. I mean obviously the nature of the game makes it difficult to capture on film. I mean there is not one singular object an audience can focus on.

In ESPN's best efforts made the sport look as boring as golf on tv. Sure there was one instance of a helmet-cam view, but withouth depth perception its nearly worthless. The game is not all highlight clips DerDer makes it out to be to the average viewer.

IDK how succesfull the ratings were, but watching the games did make me want to play. I'll give them that.

Splat
04-26-2006, 09:29 AM
I watched 2 hours of it on Saturday.

I think they did a good enough job. Some of the "effects" they had worked pretty well for me. They were able to target all the players on the field letting you know where each was, they let you know immediatly when a play was knocked out. They had good angles and were on the ball IMO.

If it's on this weekend I'll prolly watch it again.
But with all the NFL Draft coverage I doubt ESPN 2 will be willing to air 2 hours of Paintball again.

bentothejam1n
04-26-2006, 10:47 AM
not trying to be a dick but why is everybody making a thread about this every week?

geekwarrior
04-26-2006, 10:54 AM
remeber when they made the hockey puck glow on the screen so viewers could follow it. They need to do something like that for the paint.

gibby
04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Watching it was a good way to end a day of paintball for me. I think they did a good job at trying to show different aspects of the game, the head cam was cool, marking the players and movements, and even doing mock up streams of paint and what target they were focusing on was neat. But of course, the dirty side of tournament paintball was also shown.

I don't think we should worry whether or not joe-shmoe who randomly tunes in can understand what's going on. I mean, sure you might have a good understanding of how golf is played but if you don't play golf, it's more than likely you're not going to watch it anyway. Same with paintball, if you don't play you might not watch the channel for long. I also don't understand why we have to have a need for the sport of paintball to be accepted by everyone.

68magOwner
04-26-2006, 01:36 PM
well, i can say, that, alot of friends, who know i play, but, have never seen paintball. Seem to be really enthuiastic about the idea of playing now, where as they wernt before. I get alot of people telling me about how they saw paintball on TV and it was really cool and they want to try it. So, im going to say its a good thing.

Konigballer
04-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I do like it when a camera is focusing in on a player, then you see a nice stream of paint rake across his face. Thats more rare though, usually you are just watching the game from more of a field overview position, and all of a sudden a bunch of players faces appear at the top of the screen saying they are out but you never even saw how/where it happened... I think it does convey the speed of tourny games well though, some of those matches are over REAL quick!

b e n
04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I like how it was 7 man, That is a lot slower and easy to watch than the 30 second 3 man arena games they show on WGN :clap:

temps
04-26-2006, 11:17 PM
I liked it.. I think it was well done and with targeting the players allowed to follow the game pretty easily.. but I think they need to find a way to show all the paint thats flying.. so we can see who's shooting at who. Higher speed cameras maybe?? or doest that not work?

50 cal
04-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Looks good. Haven't even seen anyone through a temper tantrum yet either. That's a big plus.

Glickman
04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
i think its great.

i cant tell you how many friends that only mildly heard of paintball say
"guess what i saw on espn!"

give a little credit to the sport :clap:

JRingold
04-28-2006, 10:21 PM
The matches as of late haven't been too bad. The first night it was on we captured a 3 for 1 due to wiping, uncountable playing-on and blatent bonus balling.

Other than that, I love watching 28,000 paintballs used to get 10 to 12 people out of a game.

The 7-man just seems too slow, maybe 5-man would be better. I don't know it is definately better than the UAPL coverage, but I still don't make it a "have to watch" thing.

Some of the effects, spotlighting players, adding in the "shots" for long angles so you can see the paint being shot aren't too bad. I think it would be better covered in HD, or with split screen. Keep one screen with the overall player count and placement and then two or three focusing on the current action.

Then again, watching paintball on TV is just like watching Golf. Anyone who watches either would much rather be playing.