PDA

View Full Version : Scepter Combat System on a Mag?

quick_spyder
04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I was wondering how you could mount a Scepter Launcher System on a mag. I know gettin air to it wouldnt be a problem. Also, the launcher should work on HPA, right? I'm more into woodsball than anything else, so I'm gonna need ya'll's opinion. On my RT ULE Center-feed I want to put up there:
A Longbow Stock
Launcher
Intelliframe
Q-loader (but I'm probably gonna have to settle for a warp feed)
Probably a Hammerhead barrel

A little expensive, but have I said anything that sounds unreasonable?

bentothejam1n
04-30-2006, 10:17 PM
you forgot a scuba tank :p
but sersiously now... dont get a hammerhead. Get like a stiffi of something thats carbonfiber

quick_spyder
05-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Are St!ffis more accurate than Hammerheads?

Lohman446
05-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Are St!ffis more accurate than Hammerheads?

It is highly unlikely you notice any accuracy difference in high end barrels (or mid end) with reasonable paint to barrel match.

sol tank
05-04-2006, 11:22 PM
what you want is the universal launcher which will mount to the barrel. so make sure you dont have a thin barrel or it will warp/bend it.
use either a t fitting to route the gas to the valve and launcher or get a gas thru forgrip with gas ports on both sides and through bottom. So you can route one side to valve and one side to the launcher
im not sure if greg still produced the universal kind.
i havent been up to date as i should with him
http://www.pbreview.com/productpics/?action=view&photo=4641&product=3172

quick_spyder
05-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks. Would a st!ffi be sturdy enough?

Kyle.Kimber
05-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't know much about that, but I do know that carbon fiber is stronger than aluminum.

-Commander-
05-06-2006, 10:05 AM
You'll be running a great risk mounting it on a Stiffi, it's Carbon Fiber designed to be light weight, many of such barrels have been broken sliding into bunkers and what-not so I can only imagine what would happen with a thing like a Scepter Launcher on it. I'd go for an Apex, it'll give you longer range and a whole arsenal of shooting options to keep that mil-sim factor and add performance, and the fact that it has a very dense and sturdy design that would support a Scepter alot easier would help you reach your goal as well.

-Commander-

quick_spyder
05-07-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm lookin more for accuracy than range. Any suggestions for an accurate barrel?

ghost flanker
05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm lookin more for accuracy than range. Any suggestions for an accurate barrel?
Barrel accuracy almost entirely depends on a good paint to barrel match. It really doesn't matter what name brand you get, just make sure that you use decent "round" paint that fits the barrel like a glove... and a 12" to 16" barrel length should do you just fine.

With that said, paintball barrels, in and of themselves, actually have relatively very little to do with accuracy. To improve accuracy, what you should be looking for is a good paint to barrel match as well as a gun with very consistent shot to shot velocity.

I tend to prefer smaller bore barrels (my boomstick is a .688 cal) because most good quality paint seems to be of around this size. It's also been argued that small paintballs are simply more accurate than large ones.

In other words, if range is not important to you, any barrel besides an Apex will do just fine. Keep in mind though that an aluminum barrel will get scratched when you mount your grenade lancher on it and any shiny stainless steel will lose that mil sim look.

bentothejam1n
05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
You'll be running a great risk mounting it on a Stiffi, it's Carbon Fiber designed to be light weight, many of such barrels have been broken sliding into bunkers and what-not so I can only imagine what would happen with a thing like a Scepter Launcher on it. I'd go for an Apex, it'll give you longer range and a whole arsenal of shooting options to keep that mil-sim factor and add performance, and the fact that it has a very dense and sturdy design that would support a Scepter alot easier would help you reach your goal as well.

-Commander-
http://www.quickertek.com/pr/cfhandles.html
look it the second paragraph

Rather than continue the original aluminum handle construction, QuickerTek has decided to use the latest and greatest material - carbon fiber. Stronger than metal yet much lighter
i'd love to see a cf barrel broken. if they do break its most likely because either the operator used a battle swab instead of a pull through or you break it in a vice

-Commander-
05-08-2006, 03:55 PM
http://www.quickertek.com/pr/cfhandles.html
look it the second paragraph
I've heard this so many times and everytime I hear it I want to believe it so bad, but the fact is it's just not true, our branch has run through countless simulations and endurance tests with metallic materials comparing them to the carbon fiber material. This was a design for firearms for H&K's newest XM-8 project, but the carbon fiber just doesn't hold out like the regular metals and even lost a position to some plastics. If it did, our whole department would be filthy rich for the concept, but alas, you see no green gobs of money for me to swim in...

*This was a message from one of my Uncles working in H&K's arms department. I had actually asked him before about using carbon fiber and this is the reply I got. It's been tried and tested, but there is no evidence leading to the fact that Carbon Fiber is stronger than metals.

Thanks,
-Commander-

Surestick
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Stronger than metal yet much lighter

You can't really make that statement w/o qualifying it, "stronger" is not a term you will see used by engineers much, it's more of a marketing term (and we know the kind of BS they spew).

CF is light and strong if designed right but There are trade-offs.
It's easier to design wrong as there are more variables (type of cloth, orientation of fibers, # of layers, type of resin, etc) to take into account than when designing something out of metal.
In addition it is more sensitive to some things that shouldn't affect metal.

As an example - CF bars on mountain bikes are lighter than the metal ones they replace & can take the same kind of abuse but they are more sensitive to nicks & scratches caused by clamping them into the stem or clamping the brake levers & shifters onto them. They also tend to fail catastrophicaly where a metal bar will bend.

quick_spyder
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I think I'm going to go with the Hammerhead. I like the idea of changing backs. Thanks though, guys.