PDA

View Full Version : worst barrels/kits

ahellers
05-01-2006, 09:46 PM
you see alot of the "whats the top 10" stuff going around on all the fourms but i think what really helps people is knowing what the worst brands are. im mean then they know what to stay away from.
so i was just wondering what barrels do you all think are the biggest waist of money or just plain the crappiest out there.
t

MonsterMag
05-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Any 32* barrels
Some stock barrels

Steelrat
05-01-2006, 09:52 PM
The older empire barrel kits had a bad reputation.

spwz99
05-01-2006, 10:43 PM
how about someone's opinion on the freak?

MoeMag
05-01-2006, 11:14 PM
how about someone's opinion on the freak?

Love my freaks (plural). Definitly does not belong on this list.

buzzboy
05-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Whoever made the TruFlight barrels needs to be shot. Same company that made the Thunderpig 21 inch barrel that was all the rage where I live.

Teamslayer76
05-02-2006, 06:31 AM
The Evil Pipe, we've all seen the pictuers of the bores chopped up from one paintball. Thats a horror story. Also Dye Xcel, they wernt that great. :)

BigEvil
05-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Love my freaks (plural). Definitly does not belong on this list.

Agreed. The one thing Smart Parts is good at, is barrels.

The Dye Excels are decent barrels.

By far the worst stock barrel ever to grace a paintball gun was that craptastic brass one on the VM-68. Most stock barrels you can use if you were holding off or saving for a better one, but those VM barrels were aweful.

I also had a distain for any Taso barrel. Especailly for those Eliminator barrels. (I think thats what they were called)

grEnAlEins
05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Anyone remember the RAMROD barrels? :rofl: I never had one, but they sure looked silly, and they were only FS for a few months if memory serves me correctly. I had always heard that they were super-cruddy

FallNAngel
05-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Agreed. The one thing Smart Parts is good at, is barrels.

Has everyone forgotten that one of the main problems with Freaks (at least older generations) is that the inserts weren't labeled correctly for their ID? You'd have a .688 insert that's .684 ID in one insert, someone else might hav a .686 ID and someone else might have the right ID. Somehow that doesn't scream quality to me.

Pump Scout
05-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Whoever made the TruFlight barrels needs to be shot. Same company that made the Thunderpig 21 inch barrel that was all the rage where I live.

Roger that. Those things were awful.

buzzboy
05-02-2006, 03:14 PM
If we are talking stock barrels I would say that the worst barrel ever(not including plastic) has to be the stock stingray barrel. 3 inches of rough unaccurateness.

Another bad one that I have seen is the stock viewloader barrel. My friend had one that could shoot perfect screwballs everytime. It was sick to shoot for fun but in games it sucked.

Actually I would like to say that all the modern BE barrels are crap, eccept the tigershark. I don't know why but my friends must have been scratched perfectly because it outshot some high end barrels I have seen.

geekwarrior
05-02-2006, 03:18 PM
there any bad kits out there, or are they all pretty decent now? (i think 1 was mentioned already)

Tao
05-02-2006, 06:18 PM
The stock barrel on the Brass Eagle Raptor was horrible. (It did allow you crazy cork screw shots and stuff though!)

I hear that Empire barrel kits aren't too great either...

FreakBaller12
05-03-2006, 08:57 PM
yea I had a 4 piece empire kit, they're nothing special at all. I'd stay away. The tips on older pipe kits are something to look out for as well.

Pyroboy597
05-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Forget the name, but it was just a solid back with a set of spokes welded to rings for the front. That had to be bad/LOUD.

Stock Ion barrels for first batch ions were unshootable.

slateman
05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Frankly, I don't think any barrel kit is worth the money unless you're shooting all kinds of different paint in various locations.

Really, just grab a .689 and you'll be fine.

ttink
05-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Forget the name, but it was just a solid back with a set of spokes welded to rings for the front. That had to be bad/LOUD.
I think u mean the Ramrod...

Major Ho
05-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Beat me to it. Definetely the RamRod on the top ten worst list.

MoeMag
05-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Has everyone forgotten that one of the main problems with Freaks (at least older generations) is that the inserts weren't labeled correctly for their ID? You'd have a .688 insert that's .684 ID in one insert, someone else might hav a .686 ID and someone else might have the right ID. Somehow that doesn't scream quality to me.

Really?

Thats smart parts quality control for you... but nonetheless I could give a hoot what it says I just find the one that works the best. They are still great barrels.

PnueMagger
05-04-2006, 05:43 AM
does anyone here have a ramrod? I'll buy it from you...I have been looking for one for over a year now for a project.

BigEvil
05-04-2006, 06:01 AM

Ive never seen that. Interesting. :wow:

fire1811
05-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Freak IMO is by far the worst.

We had SP for a barrel sponsor, I tried out freaks for 3 different guns and damn near always had to use the biggest bore not to break paint in the barrel. Had them send me a .689 All American and can shoot anything though it.

I don't really buy into the barrel kit idea. Paint is not perfect so it a bit hard to match something that changes. The barrels are also made with tolerances so they are more then likely not going to be exactly whats on the bore.

If you must have a kit get a kit with only 3 backs. One small, medium, large bore. That is all you need.

Or just buy a .689 and not worry about it. It seemed to work without problems for me for years before barrel kits came out, and I am back to it now.

jenarelJAM
05-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Also Dye Xcel, they wernt that great. :)
My Xcel has actually been really good to me. Shoots through paint, shoots as accurately as anything else I've tried.
Smarts Part Teardrop I didn't like. I had one on my old spyder, and it seemed like every time I got a chop or break, It would cause 3 of the next 10 shots to break. So I'd have to take off the barrel, squeegie it, put it back on. 10 minutes later, I'd get another break, which would then cause wild inaccuracy and more breaks until I went and squeegied it. I musta done that 15 times each day. My next barrel was the Xcel, and suddenly, I could shoot through breaks. Within a few shots, the accuracy would passable, and I would only squeegie it between games, instead of during.

Steelrat
05-06-2006, 06:19 PM
I'll throw in the javelin that comes with AKA markers. The inside finish looks like crap, which is surprising because of the usually high AKA quality.

Kyle.Kimber
05-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Whats the deal with the APEX barrels which curve or something? Do they actually work? They are like $120, which would be the biggest rip if they didn't work.

Dark Frost17
05-06-2006, 07:43 PM
i am going to have to say freak :rolleyes: .....
And anything not CNC machined out of a solid block of alum,TI, or SS..... :ninja:

Darkness....

REDRT
05-06-2006, 10:30 PM

I remember one time at band camp :spit_take Seriously a friends freak had to use the insert labled .695 vrs everyone else using .688/.689 inserts to achive the same paint/bore match using the same paint.

Toll
05-07-2006, 12:09 AM
For the cash : stiffi's.

But that's just because they are pretty expensive...I suppose overrated is a better word than bad.

Worst barrels I've happened to use have the word "sniper" somewhere in their title.

usagi_tetsu
05-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Any of the 32* barrels. For some reason, none of 'em have been good.

By the way, it was CMI that made the Thunder Pig and TruFlight barrels. They were *eh* okay.

The Apex, and that "built in adjustable bore" barrel by Psycho Ballistics/Ronin Gear (Katana, I think) that thankfully disappeared a few years back. Too gimmicky and not worth it overall.

The Freak kits are way overhyped. There are several better alternatives out there, but no one talks about them because they're not popular. The Freak is *eh* okay, but not the be-all, end-all everyone hypes it to be.

The Ramrod was just a silly design. Nice try, just not effective. And what was that plastic barrel that came out around the same time as the Ramrod and then disappeared just as quickly? That's right, a plastic, non-stock aftermarket, can you believe it? Horrible barrel.

Splat
05-08-2006, 01:35 PM

I got one of those for my spider when i first started. It's retardedly long.;)

But for the mag I have a freak.