PDA

View Full Version : What should I know about local tourney ball

kingpen509
05-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Well I've been playing paintball for just about a year so I would say I'm fairly new at it and most of the "ballin" I've done has been woods or basically rec-ballin. I have played a few times at my local field which tends to concentrate mainly on speedball. I feel like I can hold my own on the speedball field but have yet to become comfortable enough to really understand speedball strategy.
Anywho,...... Me and a couple friends of mine want to play in an upcoming mechanical only airball tourney (basically just for fun but winning a few games would be funner)and I thought I would ask the population of AO for some heads up advice and or pointers for how to aproach my first tourney.

Feel free to keep it as long or short as you like I will read all posts so anything helps just keep it friendly and mature. ( I already stated I would consider myself a new player so we've got that out of the way and I am 26 so keep the "this kid" statements to a minimum :D )

Thanks,

tyrion2323
05-02-2006, 01:24 AM
In the local scene:

Use your head. Most likely, you'll be smarter than quite a few teams there. Make sure to zone out your fields correctly, and know what to do in a clutch position (i.e. - your plan doesn't go as planned!)

If you have a zoned out field, then all there is to do is to play the game.

Make sure your gear works before you get there, and make sure to test it and chrono it once you get there as well. Have batteries, o-rings and lube ready in case of gun failure.

Make sure you know how to communicate with your teammates. Make sure they know what to expect from you.

I'm tired.
goin' to bed.

jenarelJAM
05-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Uh... hm....
I've never played tourney ball, but I have done 2 on 2's and 1 on 1's with players from teams, and the two things that usually bring me my results are:

1. Snapping. I can snap a shot off before the can hit me, and even if it doesn't hit them, After a few shots, I can get them back behind their bunker, which gives me the advantage of being able to post up on them.(I think the term is post... when you stay out, with your gun trained on where you think they will appear). This also gives me an opening for #2

2. Running. In small games, movement is a HUGE part of playing. If you can get them behind their bunker, and immediately move to a different bunker, they will not know you have moved. They only have 1-2 players, and if neither sees you move, they will stay posted on your old bunker, while you can snap a couple shots at their now exposed forms.

oh, and #3 is that reloading fast can win games for you as well. I recently had a game where I used tactics 1 and 2 to force the guy from his bunker. Basicly i circled him right, and he then ran back to my starting base. I followed, and we both emptied our hoppers. We both got back behind large bunkers at the same time, and I immediately reloaded, dropping about 1/3 of my pod on the ground in the process. I managed to kneed, reload, and stand up shooting again within 10 seconds. He was just pulling out a pod as I started towards his bunker shooting. He had no paint, and i was basicly chasing him, shooting wildly(running/breathing hard from running/tired). I managed to tag him on his butt as he dived over a short center laydown. That was a fun match.

EDIT: jsut realized that your thread intention was more towards planning for tourney, not actual playing strategy... sorry.

kingpen509
05-02-2006, 10:12 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^No No actually i appreciate the info very much thanks!

Indi86
05-02-2006, 02:48 PM
An oft overlooked factor for beginning teams/ tournament players:

Don't let yourself become psyched out. A lot of mediocre teams dominate thier local scene purely based on intimidation. They come in looking agg, with serious attitudes, and due their best to act the part. If you can see past it, they should be wiping just as much paint off their goggles as any other team.

punkncat
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Be aware of where you are, where your teammates are. Talk to each other. Thats most important. If you see someone move, know where they are, which side they are looking to then tell your team.

Don't worry too much about creating some code or grid or whatever. Make up simple names for the bunkers and use that. If nothing else back left, back mid, on the 40 right...you get the point. Just keep it simple.

Pay attention to what you are leaving hanging out. Its easy to forget about playing tight. Keep your feet elbows and hoppers in.

Watch any games you can. Most beginning teams do the same thing every game. Use that to your advantage.

Cross up and watch each others back. Play defensively until you can take a player or two out on the other team and then go on the attack, but do it with caution. Never underestimate another team or player.

Good luck and remember its for fun.

geekwarrior
05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Be aware of where you are, where your teammates are. Talk to each other. Thats most important. If you see someone move, know where they are, which side they are looking to then tell your team.

Don't worry too much about creating some code or grid or whatever. Make up simple names for the bunkers and use that. If nothing else back left, back mid, on the 40 right...you get the point. Just keep it simple.

Pay attention to what you are leaving hanging out. Its easy to forget about playing tight. Keep your feet elbows and hoppers in.

Watch any games you can. Most beginning teams do the same thing every game. Use that to your advantage.

Cross up and watch each others back. Play defensively until you can take a player or two out on the other team and then go on the attack, but do it with caution. Never underestimate another team or player.

Good luck and remember its for fun.

i havent played tourny, but i have played a little speedball:

the first thing he said is probably the most important. Often in speedball people zone in on one player and are oblivious to everything around them. this is how you lose, and its what makes speedball hard, and teamwork/communication key. Know were your teammates are and were your opponants are. If you can do that well, and arent to bad a shot, you'll have an edge over alot of teams..

Lohman446
05-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Relax, have a beer or two, play when your supposed to and don't get caught up in winning and loosing. Remember, if your there to have fun and another team is hardcore you have already won. If they go on the field and you loose it was to be expected, after all they were hardcore. If you win... well they really really suck.

kingpen509
05-02-2006, 05:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^I would like to think if we win its because we were superior not that the other teAm really really sucks. But I liked the "have a beer or two" part of your post as well.

onedude36
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I assume you are playing on an airball field? The tapes are important. Try to have a guy always shooting tape so your guys can move up it whithout any heat from the corner guy. If you get down on men, have some tape players look inside(crossing up) waiting for any run-throughs or big moves to get some kills. Just have fun. Winning is fun.

JRingold
05-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Have that beer after you play. Beer and paintball markers don't usually go well on commercial fields.

The one thing that I always remind people: If you get shot making an agressive move, it's entirely different than getting shot standing behind a bunker. If you are out there to have fun, make an agressive move or two. You might not make it to that front bnker every time, but the times you do, you own the field.

If it is a local tournament, remember that you might see the players around sometime...

Lohman446
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Have that beer after you play. Beer and paintball markers don't usually go well on commercial fields.

Noone notices when your drinking from an OJ container :)

geekwarrior
05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Noone notices when your drinking from an OJ container :)

i stumble enough without...maybe that would improve my game though

Indi86
05-02-2006, 07:51 PM
If you are not moving, shooting, or yelling, you are not helping your team. The BIGGEST problem a lot of teams have is communication. Make sure all your team mates know where all of their players are at all times. I have watched countless games where kids are clueless to when people move up on them even though their teammates saw the other play move.

68magOwner
05-02-2006, 08:27 PM
I am 26 so keep the "this kid" statements to a minimum :D )

Bah, im only 18 and i call everyone kid when playing paintball, regardless of their age, becuase, even if theyre older, theyre out there to have fun and kid around right?

Anyway, basically, COMMUNICATE, make sure you keep up a G count (G1=one opponent eliminated, G2=2, so on and such forth) you can substitue "G" with anything you want, as longas everone knows how many people are shot out. If you see an opponent, make sure everoyne else knows where he his, scream out his position to your teammates. Also, make sure not all of you are shooting/looking the same way, communicate with each other about what your doing so you dont get caught all looking one way and have some kid come running down your backside.

If/when you make moves, make sure you keep your marker up, its doing you no good at your side. Also, try and keep 3 guns up off the break.

peewee
05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
How much have you played with the guys your going with?
I'm figuring your talking the grandview tourney.
Off the break you want to get your front man or men into thier bunkers. If they are very far dont let them be shooting off the break. They have to move fast. So psych up before the countdown begins. All put a hand in & Yell something. You dont want to be getting laned out off the break. Run low & fast. Back players look for best lanes to shoot to take out other teams backmen or front men. Depends on bunker setup. Remember to lead them. We try & shoot 2/3 of the way to the bunker right off the bat. Keep your paint low , waist high. most people favor the right hand side of a bunker , at times you can come out left & have a chance to move up.