PDA

View Full Version : The "use" of the aftermarket

Lohman446
05-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Kosmo got me thinking about this. When SP (and many others) release a new marker it is functional, though far from polished or as good as it can be. They release the marker, and the aftermarket jumps in, makes functional improvements (at no cost to the original manufacturer) who then can choose to incorporate the newly proven theory of operation into the next year (think the Matrix high efficiency end cap now standard in the PM6, an upgrade from the PM5).

AGD on the other hand tried as hard as they could to make the mag as best as it could be stock. They discouraged the aftermarket through proof of function (or non-function in this case). Think of the money spent in R&D that could have been handed to the aftermarket. Think of the Autococker improvements that were borrowed off someone elses R&D dollars.

Just a point, to see discussion on the different ideas

RapidTransit
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
It's more of cost vs quality, sure they could make a perfect marker but at what expense, I'm not just talking R&D but how much to make it. I'm also taking a shot in the dark by saying they may only test their stuff on a computer using simulation software and not do real world tests as extensively. Anything to improve their margin I suppose. Take the BE Rainmaker in stock form its pure crap with a retail cost of $300 put another $500-700 in it and its a capable marker. :dance:

punkncat
05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Many of the so called improvememnts available on the aftermarket do little if anything at all. Most of them are more a bit of window dressing or bragging rights.

Many times an aftermarket co will see something that can be improved upon with the design of something and will stand on the shoulders of the maker to improve it. For instance the early Palmers regs were basically a stock WGP reg with an external adjustment screw that was much needed.

I know in my experiance I have wasted a great deal of money on aftermarket improvements that rarely did anything other than give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Some even hurt the performance.

RapidTransit
05-02-2006, 06:16 PM
You need a tornado fuel saver :rofl:

Lohman446
05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Many of the so called improvememnts available on the aftermarket do little if anything at all. Most of them are more a bit of window dressing or bragging rights.

Many times an aftermarket co will see something that can be improved upon with the design of something and will stand on the shoulders of the maker to improve it. For instance the early Palmers regs were basically a stock WGP reg with an external adjustment screw that was much needed.

I know in my experiance I have wasted a great deal of money on aftermarket improvements that rarely did anything other than give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Some even hurt the performance.

Right. But how much did WGP ever spend in testing those things - some of which eventually made it into stock form, or were copied?

p8ntball72
05-02-2006, 06:37 PM
The test of time will be the ION's legacy.
Although I have upgraded parts over the years on my primary automag, I rebuild all my classic parts into a fully functional back up mag that is 12 years old.

Will Smart parts or any other aftermarket company continue to manufacture parts for the ION 12 years from now?

I think not.

RRfireblade
05-02-2006, 08:05 PM
AGD on the other hand tried as hard as they could to make the mag as best as it could be stock. They discouraged the aftermarket through proof of function (or non-function in this case). Think of the money spent in R&D that could have been handed to the aftermarket. Think of the Autococker improvements that were borrowed off someone elses R&D dollars.

Just a point, to see discussion on the different ideas

Not exactly true IMO , Mags have and had a fair number of short comings and issues. The difference is when the aftermarket addressed such issues AGD would simply intregated the 'fix' and then claim that said 'fix' does nothing in the 'current' AutoMag. ;)

Lohman446
05-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Not exactly true IMO , Mags have and had a fair number of short comings and issues. The difference is when the aftermarket addressed such issues AGD would simply intregated the 'fix' and then claim that said 'fix' does nothing in the 'current' AutoMag. ;)

Alright... understood. My point still stands to some degree

RRfireblade
05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I also don't think manufacturers intentionally release markers the 'need' aftermarket upgrades. That 'need' is generally artificially created by the aftermarket and the typical interent E Baller who feel the need to keep up with the AGG Jones'...to have a 'cool' marker and in almost every case a marker that far exceeds thier own needs and ability.

The markers I use on the field during any serious competition are largely stock...and for that matter , are far more reliable than the majority of the players I play with and against week in and week out.

Pretty much all (off the top of my head) high end markers available today really 'need' no performance improvements at all IMO.

More speed? no
More efficiency? even the worst hardly 'need' more
Consistancy? no

What else do you really need beyond that ? (personal preference aside)

minimag03
05-02-2006, 09:04 PM
If you remember AGD offered Automags with and without sold without barrel, airline, or asa. This was because AGD noticed that most players had a preference about upgrades. I have always thought this was the great idea.

Example: SP sells stock Shockers as they are now. Then they also offer a Shocker without the popular aftermarket parts like feedneck, trigger, reg, etc. Ofcourse they only warrenty their parts.

REDRT
05-02-2006, 11:06 PM
NO. I think AGD done it right. Maybe if it had been farmed out the mag might have never been the icon it is today. If you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

RapidTransit
05-03-2006, 10:26 AM
If you remember AGD offered Automags with and without sold without barrel, airline, or asa. This was because AGD noticed that most players had a preference about upgrades. I have always thought this was the great idea.

Example: SP sells stock Shockers as they are now. Then they also offer a Shocker without the popular aftermarket parts like feedneck, trigger, reg, etc. Ofcourse they only warrenty their parts.
I remember when I was looking for a gun, I saw the automags and I was like that crap don't even come with a barrel :tard: But I liked the idea of having a choice than to pay more and have a crappy barrel etc.