PDA

View Full Version : Small 2 stroke motor, how do I increase RPM range?

Dubstar112
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I have a goped with some work done to it. Im looking for the edge between me and my buddies. I want to decrease spindle size without sacrificing top end. Is there a certain way to go about increasing my RPM range? They are roughly 10-12 k stock and Im looking for 20k as I have seen on the internet. They just dont go into detail on how to do this. Also for offroad use is it worth the switch to alcohol mixtures?

Right now it has a D&D pipe with ported monocylinder block. I was thinking of using a thinner base gasket material also. I NEED THAT EDGE! Im barely ahead now, which is unacceptable.

punkncat
05-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Well....I know that many small engines have a govenor on the carb...yours may already be eliminated. You can lean it to get higher RPM, but at the cost of burning the engine up faster. My buddy used to race gocarts and he would get running along at max speed then reach over and lean it out until you could hear it "percolating" and back it off just a touch for max power.

Dubstar112
05-03-2006, 08:34 PM
The carb on this unit is very simple and basic. The adjustment it offers is adjustmentless :).

There is no throttle stop. I know to spin @ higher rpms the timing usually gets retarded, but I plan on leaving the pick up and flywheel alone.

Instead of playing with rpms, does slotting the pick up and increasing the compression sound like a better way to make low end grunt vs gear reduction and higher range?

PyRo
05-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Just ditch the stupid goped and put the 2stroke motor on a chain saw where it belongs.

billybob_81067
05-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Take the head off and put it on the belt sander to shave it and increase the comp ratio

Also you might look into a tuned pipe for a higher rpm range.

Dubstar112
05-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Have tuned pipe and its a mono block cylinder and head. I was thinking about using a thinner base gasket material. But I dont have anyway to check squish.

2 stroke motor belonging to a chainsaw.... you definatley dont get out much. :bounce: