PDA

View Full Version : Shorter or longer spacer to overcome bolt stick

Dragoon
12-19-2001, 07:40 AM
I did a search and didn't manage to come up with a definite answer. In a post I read go to a shorter spacer, but in the Mag manual online it said to go to a longer spacer.

So which one is it?
Or could it go either way, but you have to keep an eye on leaking down the barrel.

The reason I'm looking into this is I'm having bolt stick for the first time. I have an Emag and just put in the superbolt and plastic nubbin. Last night using this setup for the first time I was getting bolt stick every 100 balls or so. It was easy to fix during the game by pushing the bolt back with my battle swab, but I missed a few good shots. It would also sometimes unstick itself. I found this very odd.

At the moment I'm thinking it could be the nubbin (needs to be slightly sanded on the back side nub), the spacer (change to different size to fix), or input pressure (I'm using a Pure Energy preset 45/4500).

Any advice would be great.

Douglas

AirChunck
12-19-2001, 10:31 AM
I believe longer to stop bolt stick

AirChunck
12-19-2001, 10:37 AM
You should not need to change the input pressure b/c it is regulated before it hits the bolt (I think) and as for the nubbin, I have the new plastic also on my boomstick but do not have the s.bolt yet. But the problem could be that you might have one of those slightly longer bolts sleeves which could be the problem, check the main forum.

Dragoon
12-19-2001, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure how the longer bolt would effect bolt stick.

One other interesting note, dry firing does not cause the bolt stick. It's only when I'm using paint.

Douglas

Ityl
12-19-2001, 11:19 PM
check to see of your bolt or sear is worn. And you want a longer PT spacer if your gun has bolt stick.

Shaft
12-20-2001, 07:31 AM
If it sticks go stronger if it leaks go weaker.

Stronger is a longer spacer and weaker is... yeah well I'm sure you got it now.

Is good!

CFD323
12-21-2001, 02:57 PM
I also just put a superbolt in my Emag and now I'm getting bolt stick too. It does it when I first fire up the gun so I decided to change to a different spacer the other day. It seemed like it fixed the problem but now today no matter what spacer I put in the gun, the bolt still sticks. I can unstick it by pushing on the bolt with a stick but as soon as I shoot, it sticks again and I just went through like 1500psi of air to get off like 5 shots. This is pissing me off and I don't know what's different between the 2 bolts that would cause this but if I can't get it figured out soon, I'm throwin' the superbolt in the trash and going back to my stock bolt ! Please give me some suggestions here.

Dragoon
12-21-2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by efdff
I also just put a superbolt in my Emag and now I'm getting bolt stick too.

That sounds just like me. Are you using the plastic nubbins?

Douglas

CFD323
12-21-2001, 03:10 PM
I just got off the phone with AGD and they said they didn't know what the problem was or how to fix it without seeing the gun. I tried all the spacers except the biggest one (.235). I would have tried that too but ran out of air. I'm going to get some more air and try that spacer too, then I'm going to put the stock bolt in if I can't get the superbolt to work. If they stock bolt works and the super doesn't, then I know it's either nubbins or the superbolt itself. I don't know if the extra length on the superbolts would cause the stick or not. I'll let you know what I find out using the stock bolt.

Dragoon
12-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Great. I look forward to hearing the results.

Douglas

SoloMag
12-21-2001, 04:09 PM
I dont know if this helps, but i read in one of the other forms that the extra length is what is causing the stick. Thats just what i read.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-21-2001, 04:27 PM
check the sear. i thought i was having bolt stick problems too until i realized the sear was rounded and no good. i put a new one in and it fixed it right up. if it sometimes fixes itself, i'm willing to bet it's the sear. try it and let me know.

CFD323
12-21-2001, 04:32 PM
I don't know why the extra length would cause the bolt stick but then again, I don't work for AGD either.

I got more air and put in the biggest spacer (.235) and wala, no more bolt stick ! I gassed/degassed it about 5-6 times and it never even skipped a step so to speak. It worked perfectly fine. I will hopefully be playing this weekend so I'll let you know if it acts up any then. Last week when I had initially had this problem, I had put in a shorter spacer (.215 I think), tried it a couple times and it seemed like it was fine, however, when I went to the field to play I had a little bolt stick when I first gassed it up. I pulled the trigger a couple times and it was fine. It never stuck again all day. I attributed it to the fact that I'm using a preset Centerflag tank and when I screw in the on/off it's a gradual amt of air that leaves the tank and enters the gun. AGD told me that the Emags and RT's like a full/quick hit of gas when you turn your tank on. I can't do that since mine's a preset with a screw-in on/off. I get that sometimes even with my stock bolt. But today the stupid thing was stickin' after every shot which it's never done before. The other thing I found out too was that you put in a longer spacer if you've got bolt stick. I had put in a shorter one so maybe that's why I had problems today with the .215 spacer. I did notice that as I increased the size of the spacer, the bolt stick seemed to be less and less. Hopefully by putting in the .235 spacer, this damn bolt stick problem has been eliminated ! If not, I will be taking my gun to AGD to let them fix it. I want to use the superbolt cuz it's awesome, but I don't need bolt stick all the time either.
Well I hope this helps you out. If not, I'd call AGD.

Also, I had the barrel with plastic nubbins out of the gun during this whole process so the bolt stick had absolutely nothing to do with the nubbins.

CFD323
12-21-2001, 04:37 PM
Hey BigRagu...

How rounded was your sear ? I looked at mine and it looks pretthy good to me. Granted I don't have a new one to compare it to.

I wouldn't think the sear would be that worn already, I've only shot maybe 2 cases through my Emag.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-21-2001, 04:41 PM
it looked good to me but if you looked at it really closely, you can see it was slightly worn. i didn't think anything that small would cause such a problem, but it did. just a suggestion.

CFD323
12-21-2001, 04:52 PM
but if was my sear, then how come I didn't have any problems with my stock bolt ? If it happens anymore I'm gonna send it to AGD to let them figure it out.

I did just put my stock bolt back in to see if it worked fine and it did, which kind of surprised me seeing as how I originally ran the stock bolt with a .220 power tube spacer and the superbolt is running with a .235 spacer. I thought the stock bolt would leak down the barrel or something using the longer spacer, but it didn't.

MINIMAGMAN
12-21-2001, 05:36 PM
maybe the superbolt is too light?

Dragoon
12-31-2001, 02:06 PM
All is fixed. Thanks for the input all.

Douglas