PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Bolt

vin
05-05-2006, 10:45 AM
When I fire a long string I eventually get a spissss sound and a stuck bolt. I push the bolt back and fire another string and I get the same thing. The bolt for the ULE body is not over tighten. It may even be on the lose side. I have tried different carries. My stack is white washer, carrier, and three shims. Oil seems to give me more time between failures.

It is an syderMag and I was thinking of going back to an older bolt, maybe lvl 7, to avoid this problem and to save air. I have break beam eyes installed.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Vin

Coralis
05-05-2006, 11:48 AM
try it with the level 7 and see if you have the problem any more and if you have any chopping issues.

vin
05-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Cool,
Do they sell them anymore?

vin
05-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Could it be anything else?

Coralis
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
well you could try removing the shims on the level 10 most of the time they arent needed

athomas
05-06-2006, 08:38 AM
When I fire a long string I eventually get a spissss sound and a stuck bolt. I push the bolt back and fire another string and I get the same thing. The bolt for the ULE body is not over tighten. It may even be on the lose side. I have tried different carries. My stack is white washer, carrier, and three shims. Oil seems to give me more time between failures.

It is an syderMag and I was thinking of going back to an older bolt, maybe lvl 7, to avoid this problem and to save air. I have break beam eyes installed.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Vin

Remove the three shims. Use the largest carrier that doesn't leak once the shims are removed. Make sure the bolt for the body is tight but not tightened to the point of distorting the body.

Under rapid fire conditions, it is possible that the power from the battery is not keeping up to the demand. The sear may be rubbing the bottom of the bolt if the solenoid doesn't complete its cycle properly. This could lead to the bolt not properly resetting. It probably isn't the problem, but something to be aware of.

vin
05-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I got it so it won't stick!
But... it leaks a little, every now and then.
I like your idea about the battery/cap/solenoid, I was thinking of running a AA pack in series to 10.5V.
That way my inrush will by way higher- not from the voltage increase but the lower internal resistance of the battery pack. What do you think?
Thanks,
Vin

flyingpootang
05-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Could it be anything else?

Try tunning your lvl10 by using the lightest fitting carrier and removing all the shims. Hold a stick about 1/4 inch away from the bolt face and fire the marker. If the bolt stays forward add 1 shim at a time until the bolt resets itself. When your carrier oring wears in it may be necessary to use the next smallest carrier, but you must use the same carrier oring...

vin
05-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Cool,
I'll try that