PDA

View Full Version : diameter of x-chamber

aaroncushing
05-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Does anyone out there have one of these expansion chambers (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7217042078&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1)? I bought a vertical adapter for my Y-framed Classic Mag, but the x-chambers I have access to are all too fat to fit next to the trigger-guard on my frame. It looks like I have about an inch and a quarter total diameter to work with. Do ya think this one will fit instead? Thanks.

/cush

nicad
05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Quick diameter ratio check based on the ASA threaded part shows it be right about 1.2" to 1.25" diameter. Since that is so close to hitting, I would not go purchase it just based on my info alone.. I would ask the seller to measure it for you.

On another note- I do not think I have ever seen an ASA exchamber or reg that was larger than 1.25" diameter. If you have exchambers there that hit your frame, you prolly have less than 1.25" diameter clearance.

aaroncushing
05-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks Nicad. The only other x-chamber I've seen is a big fat thing we had laying around (I forget what it was called, but it was a monster). I asked the seller to measure it, and he says he doesn't have the tools to measure it. Umm...not sure what that says of him. I'm not asking for a measurment to the ten-thousandth of an inch...just lay it on a ruler and see what number it points at :rolleyes:

So anyway, I'm looking for a decent x-chamber that will fit in front of my y-frame. Anyone?

Thanks

/cush

personman
05-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I dont know if this would be an option for you since you may not like the feel, but there are 15* ASAs that are sold that would give you some extra clearence.
http://www.themagsmith.com/cgi-bin/index2.cgi?product=gasthru.cgi
It says they're out of stock at the moment but I'm sure you could find someone selling them..

warbeak2099
05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
ACI 4 or 6 stage x-chambers are fantastc and work great on mags. I'm positive it would fit with a y-grip. If not, DOP X-core 8 stages are amazing too and would work just fine. Any thinner than an x-core and... well I don't think that exists.

aaroncushing
05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
how about a male Palmers Stab? Anybody have an actual diameter on one of those? They're considerable more money, but according to the propaganda on the PPS website, it's a better optin than an x-chamber...

Of course, I always understood that a mag shouldn't be double-reg'ed. Thoughts on the Stab?

Thanks.

/cush

Hexis
05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Mags shouldn't be tripple regulated. So with HPA you have your two regs, one on the bottle, the other is the valve. With CO2 there is no regulator on the bottle, so the Stab would be your second reg. Should work just fine, just set it nice and high. Perhaps find a gas-through grip for any times you are using HPA, or just have a long line and bypass the Stab.

aaroncushing
05-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks Hexis. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm running CO2. So there's no reg at the bottle. If I'm buying a new Stab from PPS, then I'll get the HP version. I see they also have a 900psi version (https://palmer-pursuit.com/ecom/product_info.php/products_id/28{2}2{8}38{1}52?osCsid=fada66e31793cd3c1246cb332b 11d972)...would that be a better bet than the "standard" 800psi one?

/cush

Hexis
05-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Sure, why not. Having an extra 100psi on the top end can't hurt. You can always just turn the reg down. You will be in it's top pressure range either way, but 900psi out gives you more on the top end. I don't know the Stabs well enough to know of any other trade-offs tho. If the 900psi version is wider or something you may have to stick with the 800psi version.

Surestick
05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
My take on the whole using a Stabilizer to keep liquid CO2 out deal is that the output pressure of the Stabilizer should be below the pressure at which CO2 will stay liquid for the conditions you are playing in (plus (or minus in this case) a bit of a fudge factor for the fact that the CO2 will chill after aggressive shooting).

There's a graph of how CO2 behaves at different temps on Palmer's site here (http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/FAQ/co2_and_compressed_air_faq.htm)
If it's fairly cold out & you have the output pressure set too high the reg will let liquid right through. In that case an expansion chamber would probably work better as it would give you more volume between the tank & the valve for the CO2 to turn to gas.

aaroncushing
05-11-2006, 02:19 PM
According to email from Craig Palmer himself, the max diameter on the Stabilizer is 1", regardless of the sping kit in it. Cool.

:clap:

Thanks for everyone's help.

Now to scrape up the hundred American bucks they want for it...