PDA

View Full Version : I need a barrel adapter Custom Built -- any takers?

PnueMagger
05-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Paging: Luke, Doc, Coolhand, deadlywind, random homeless guy with a lathe.

Looking for something custom here...
I really need a spyder to automag adapter. I bought a new ramrod barrel and they are so rare, there is no way I'll find a different threaded one. Just something simple like docs adapter he made. I have a powerfeed if that helps.

I have free access to a machine shop and a cnc machine shop. Even posting what tools and proceedure is neccessary to make this would be fantastic. But I'd rather just pay someone else to do it right.

punkncat
05-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Ram rod barrels really suck. They were more of a curiousity than useful.

Borrow a buddies Spyder one day and use it. It will hit the bottom of your gear bag quicker than a Chuck Norris roundhouse..... :D

warbeak2099
05-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Or you can get a cocker to mag adapter and a spyder to cocker adapter. It'll cost less than ahving someone make you a custom adapter for a crappy barrel.

Major Ho
05-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Or you can get a cocker to mag adapter and a spyder to cocker adapter. It'll cost less than ahving someone make you a custom adapter for a crappy barrel.
Agreed. It will probably pretty goofy looking and might not be the greatest because it has to make like 3 transitions but I bet it would work and be cheaper than machining something like that from scratch. A Cocker threaded tap was like over $200 last time I was poking around too btw.
You might get better air efficiency with those different adapters. Since the effective length of a ramrod is only like 2 inches.

PnueMagger
05-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I know the reviews on them weren't too good. I got more for the rare factor and looks. A pink and chrome pnuemag with a ramrod barrel... doesn't get any more custom than that!

Jaan
05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Agreed. A Cocker threaded tap was like over $200 last time I was poking around too btw.
Why would you need a Cocker tap? If I recall my days as a maker of round threaded things, inside threads weren't that hard to make. It might be a little tricky making threads directly into a body, but an adaptor would be relatively easy, especially if you sacrifice an old 'Mag barrel.

PnueMagger
05-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I really would like a breach like doc makes with spyder threads. I really want it to be flush with the mag body. More for looks rather than functionality.

Major Ho
05-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Why would you need a Cocker tap? If I recall my days as a maker of round threaded things, inside threads weren't that hard to make. It might be a little tricky making threads directly into a body, but an adaptor would be relatively easy, especially if you sacrifice an old 'Mag barrel.
I think I mean Die then? I dunno, but I was just trying to point out that for joe schmoe that kind of stuff is kind of expensive

warbeak2099
05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I really would like a breach like doc makes with spyder threads. I really want it to be flush with the mag body. More for looks rather than functionality.

Well, you could get a chrome adapter so it matches the ramrod. It doesn't have to be black.

Jaan
05-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I think I mean Die then? I dunno, but I was just trying to point out that for joe schmoe that kind of stuff is kind of expensiveYou meant tap (c:

A tap is good for doing the body, since the body is odd shaped and would be very difficult to get centered in a chuck, but making a round adaptor, at least making the threads you would need on the inside, is pretty easy for any machine shop to do. I've done it a few times myself, at least changed the outside threads on a barrel to make it fit something else. Even the average basement hobbyist could do it with a small lathe. Inside or outside threads ... either way, as long as you got a round thing centered in the lathe (and enough material) it's easy.