PDA

View Full Version : Mask Cleaning Secrets?

PBCapo
05-07-2006, 06:16 PM
I've tried everything...why is it so hard to clean masks? No matter how many times i wash them there is always paint in the crevaces. Not to mention the paint seems to smear all over the black masks and make a hazy type coating. Is there a secret i'm missing out on?

Steelrat
05-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I've tried everything...why is it so hard to clean masks? No matter how many times i wash them there is always paint in the crevaces. Not to mention the paint seems to smear all over the black masks and make a hazy type coating. Is there a secret i'm missing out on?

Plexus for the lenses, hot water wash at the end of the day, Q-tips for the crevices.

Jonno06
05-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I just remove the lens after each day of play. ive been using jt's for about 6 years now, and it only takes me about 30 seconds to remove the lens, if not less.

etjoyride
05-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I just remove the lens after each day of play. ive been using jt's for about 6 years now, and it only takes me about 30 seconds to remove the lens, if not less.

How do you get them out so fast?

BerSerK
05-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I heard about micro-fiber cloth to clean the lense, anybody have any experience with those ???

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread too much, I think it's relevent. ;)

Steelrat
05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
I heard about micro-fiber cloth to clean the lense, anybody have any experience with those ???

Forgot about that. I use ONLY micro fiber cloths with the Plexus spray. Normal paper towels and cheap cloth towels will scratch the crap out of the lenses. As many people can testify to, my technique of plexus + microfiber = great results.

quick_spyder
05-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I use two parts vinegar, 1 part water. Works good.

cowboy_00
05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
if the goggle is just a little hazy, running a dry microfiber helps, but it there is a lot of paint you will end up just spreading it. when you are wiping with a VERY soft towel make a single slow heavy stroke getting up all the paint so you dont spread it, its easiest to remove with water and then antifog for me.

just my .02

nate2k191
05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
i use a JT mask and i take it apart too. Wash all the plastic/rubber with a hose and use q-tips in the tight spots, then use a rag on the lens followd by a microfiber cloth to make it crystal clear.

fire1811
05-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Plexus for the lenses, hot water wash at the end of the day, Q-tips for the crevices.

Ditto

BerSerK
05-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I use two parts vinegar, 1 part water. Works good.

I do that too, works great and cost basically nothing. I'll give a try to the micro-fiber cloth.

JKR
05-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Warm running water will clean out most everything. I also use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel for everything but the lens to remove any remaining residue. For the lens I use Plexus and a soft rag.

TheGrindPunk
05-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I just rinse the mask off under warm water (in the tub) and dry with a hand towel, then clean the lens with rubbing alcohol. Q-tips do work well for the tight spaces.

Kyle.Kimber
05-07-2006, 08:26 PM
For my Profiler, I take the lense and strap off, then throw it in the wash. Everything, including the foam, is alright. And microfiber cloths are alright, but it doesn't really matter for mask lenses. Its mainly for things like monitor screens and camera lenses.

Kyle.Kimber
05-07-2006, 08:28 PM
I just rinse the mask off under warm water (in the tub) and dry with a hand towel, then clean the lens with rubbing alcohol. Q-tips do work well for the tight spaces.

Don't use alcohol, it soften the lense an takes off the anti-fog finish. If you have to use alcohol, make sure its 30-50%.

TheGrindPunk
05-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Don't use alcohol, it soften the lense an takes off the anti-fog finish. If you have to use alcohol, make sure its 30-50%.

You learn something new everyday......... thanks for the heads up!

Tao
05-07-2006, 08:51 PM

The work awsome. this is to prevent the smearing when you wipe away pait so that you can see. They don't help for the shards of painted jammed in the crevices though. If you use one use a regular rag to wipe the excess and use the micro cloth for the smeared paint.

Army
05-07-2006, 10:52 PM
I simply hose mine off after the game. Paint in the little places doesn't bother me.

On the plus side, in the heat of summer here, it's nice to have a cool wet foam pad on!

Indignant
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Forgot about that. I use ONLY micro fiber cloths with the Plexus spray. Normal paper towels and cheap cloth towels will scratch the crap out of the lenses. As many people can testify to, my technique of plexus + microfiber = great results.

My mask has never been cleaner than after using this set up. After using Ryan's we went out and got a big can of Plexus and some micro-fiber cloths.

wanna-b-ballin'
05-08-2006, 12:51 AM
i just use water and a paper towel. when i get home i use water and a white rag from costco. my masks dont get hazy, only oily. and that oil comes off with water and paper towels. my lenses havent scratched either from useing paper towels.

Jonno06
05-08-2006, 04:59 AM
How do you get them out so fast?

its only 6-7 little plastic clips, and the chin protector area is only 4 little push dowel things.

paint magnet
05-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Take it in the shower with you...it's how I clean my mask and my gun :D

Never had a problem with either, both come out nice and clean. At the field, goggle sprays and microfiber cloths work well...I usually wipe paint off with an old towel and then clean any residue off the lense with the microfiber cloth.

SummaryJudgement
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
:shooting: Duck!

MoeMag
05-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I always take things to the extreme, and I sometimes get funny looks for doing it, but being this crazy about things got me a job at the pro shop...

At home:
Steaming HOT water and a toothbrush for the frame and such. Then to dry it, and get into the really little crevices use compressed air.

Take the lens out and run water over it gently until it is clean. Then micro fiber it dry.

On the field:
Pressurized distilled water (because if tap water dries you will get water spots). Get one of those pump bug poison sprayers (new one of course), pump it up and spray it down. Micro fiber to dry.

Do not let a mask, especially the lens air dry. When you do that, you get that nasty residue. Always dry your stuff off.

I don’t like any type of solvents. Like /\/\/\ said, you run the risk of destabilizing the lens polymer.

Indignant
05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
OCD much?