PDA

View Full Version : Woot! "New" tires for my camo pickup!

billybob_81067
05-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Got a set of four 285/65/R16 (approximately 33") Discoverer mud terrains at the dump a few months back and finally decided to put them on my 69 F-250. The front tires that were on it were wearing badly due to a major toe-in, so I set the toe to damn near zero (slightly in), and put the new meats on! :)

I think it looks way better with bigger tires.

:D

Pics!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/travis1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/travis2.jpg

behemoth
05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Still looks haggard.

ojhspyro89
05-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Wait... it had SMALLER tires!?

bentothejam1n
05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
thats pathetic, a .22 in your car

atleast have a 20 gauge :shooting: :D

billybob_81067
05-08-2006, 07:18 PM
thats pathetic, a .22 in your car

atleast have a 20 gauge :shooting: :D

What car? I don't see any CARS pictured! :p

Eh it's just for the annoying squirrels around my house and also I kill rabbits to feed to our barn cats in the winter time. :ninja:

billybob_81067
05-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Wait... it had SMALLER tires!?

Yeah it had the stock size 235/65/R16's on it which are about 28" tall... so these are about 5 inches larger in diameter.

billybob_81067
05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Still looks haggard.

Merle Haggard?

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
05-08-2006, 07:35 PM
nice truck suprised you don't restore it to a beautiful lifted mudding machine.

billybob_81067
05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
nice truck suprised you don't restore it to a beautiful lifted mudding machine.

This is just my daily driver during the winter months when we're feeding cattle with a cake feeder on the back. Also I'm driving it now because my powerstroke is in the shop and has been for over a month now cause my front poly shackle bushings that I ordered from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard are on stupid backorder!!!!!!!! :mad:

Oh and also I'm restoring/lifting a 77 F-250 currently. :D

Oh well the shackle bushings being on backorder is giving me some time to work on the stroke.

Pics of the bedlinered floorboards that I just did on my powerstroke:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/pstrk3.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/pstrk2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/pstrk1.jpg

:cool:

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
05-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Nice

bentothejam1n
05-08-2006, 10:32 PM
What car? I don't see any CARS pictured!
sorry, sex machine is more like it :hail: :D

billybob_81067
05-08-2006, 11:23 PM
sorry, sex machine is more like it :hail: :D

Damn straight! ;)

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
05-08-2006, 11:43 PM
LOL its not lined with shag carpet

BeaverEater
05-09-2006, 06:38 PM
what you couldnt go bigger?? I have like 31s on my truck, there nice but id love to go bigger but its just a work truck. My buddy just put 38's on his powerstroke, amazingly sexy

billybob_81067
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
LOL its not lined with shag carpet

Haha... bedliner is much easier to clean up than shag carpet!

BeaverEater, are you talking about going with bigger tires on the camo 69 or my 95 powerstroke? They've both got 285/65/R16's on them now, and are also both daily drivers and I have to keep these two that way. The 69 has to stay relatively driveable because we use it to feed with in the winter time (no powersteering either), and my Powerstroke is getting a gooseneck hitch put in for pulling trailers with so it can't be lifted too much.

Now I'm sure this will probably confuse the hell out of some of you, but I've got yet ANOTHER pickup that's been on my project list for the past few years... a 93 F-150 that I've lifted and fabbed up a 3/4 ton dana 60 with disks under the rear and a heavy duty 3/4 ton Dana 44 up front. I've got a stroker kit for the 351W to build it into a 408, but there's just not enough time in world right now. (stupid night-time, sleep, and eating, :P) Anyways it will get a set of 38" tires when it's all said and done.

Ahhh!!! too many things going on at once! :eek:

Rudz
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
that 93 f150 outa be real nice..hieght and power....bwhahaaha

PyRo
05-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Oh well the shackle bushings being on backorder is giving me some time to work on the stroke.

Really now?

PyRo
05-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Why not restore the 69? It doesn't look like it would take much. The body seems to be pretty rust-free. Change the grill, sand it down & spray some single stage paint on it. Clean off under neath & paint under there (probably the most time consumeing part). Paint the metal around the bed, take a belt sander to the wood and throw some stain on it. Then do what you have to do on the interior. All those things could be done a little bit at a time to give you a nice truck.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
05-10-2006, 01:56 AM
just out of curoisity size engine you got in you powerstroke. I got 3 7.3L F350, superduty/450, and a 550, Sorry I love that power house you can't kill it.

ntn4502
05-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I assume you don't take too kindly to city folk?

billybob_81067
05-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Why not restore the 69? It doesn't look like it would take much. The body seems to be pretty rust-free. Change the grill, sand it down & spray some single stage paint on it. Clean off under neath & paint under there (probably the most time consumeing part). Paint the metal around the bed, take a belt sander to the wood and throw some stain on it. Then do what you have to do on the interior. All those things could be done a little bit at a time to give you a nice truck.

That flat camo paint job is hiding a LOT of dings and crunches in that poor old pickup, and some cab rot in the rear cab corners. It belonged to one of my friends and him and his two brothers learned to drive around the farm with it which explains the crunches. I did do a bit of body work on it... just took off all the crappy chrome trim that was on it and welded up the holes. Anyways I need a good old beater pickup to take all the crap while I keep my others in nice shape. ;)

billybob_81067
05-10-2006, 11:25 AM
just out of curoisity size engine you got in you powerstroke. I got 3 7.3L F350, superduty/450, and a 550, Sorry I love that power house you can't kill it.

Yeah it's got the 7.3 Liter, direct injection, turbocharged engine in it. I love it too... and I'm going to love it even more when I get some bigger injectors for it! :D

ntn4502, I don't mind city folk, just a few of the bad apples give the rest of you a bad name. :p

Muzikman
05-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I hate to break it to you. 285/65R16's are not 33's, they are 30.5x11.2x16. 285/75R16's are 33's (32.8x11.2x16).

BTW, I got new tires too on Saturday.

http://alleycattz.com/albums/Xterra05/IMG_0712.sized.jpg

They are BFG MT 285/75R16's

Muzikman
05-10-2006, 11:48 AM
a 93 F-150 that I've lifted and fabbed up a 3/4 ton dana 60 with disks under the rear and a heavy duty 3/4 ton Dana 44 up front. I've got a stroker kit for the 351W to build it into a 408, but there's just not enough time in world right now. (stupid night-time, sleep, and eating, :P) Anyways it will get a set of 38" tires when it's all said and done.

Why a D44 and not a D60 up front?

kosmo
05-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Muz, all you need now is a roof mounted .50 cal and youre set.

BeaverEater
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
come on muz, if your gonna show off new tires, atleast get some mud on them.

MarkM
05-10-2006, 12:15 PM
I have to ask since we don't have that many pickups over here...what is bedliner, it looks like what we call stone chip, a paint finsh that is often put on the bottom of the sills and front valance to stop chips from stones.
Mind you I have seen in the states lots of strange things we don't have here, the one thing I keep thinking about bringing home is the plastic coating dip for hand tools (and anything else that you might want plastic coated)

Muzikman
05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
come on muz, if your gonna show off new tires, atleast get some mud on them.

I'll have pics this Saturday. They have not seen mud yet, but to hold you over until then.

Here is a little mud.
http://jbeamphotos.com/albums/Bidwell_03-12-06/Bidwell_20060313_093.sized.jpg

Muzikman
05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I have to ask since we don't have that many pickups over here...what is bedliner, it looks like what we call stone chip, a paint finsh that is often put on the bottom of the sills and front valance to stop chips from stones.
Mind you I have seen in the states lots of strange things we don't have here, the one thing I keep thinking about bringing home is the plastic coating dip for hand tools (and anything else that you might want plastic coated)

Mark, Bed liner is a polyurethane with rubber bits in it that can be either sprayed on or rolled on. There are a lot of DIY bed liners and there are a few professionaly applied liners. they prevent the back of your pickup bed from getting scratched and such as you put stuff in it. Before you had plastic insert liners for truck beds, but those trapped water between the plastic and the metal bed and caused rust.

If you want, I can ship you over some Plasti Grip.

EDIT: Oh, and the front bumper and lower part of my doors on my Xterra are bed lined. I used Herculiner brand.

MarkM
05-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Mark, Bed liner is a polyurethane with rubber bits in it that can be either sprayed on or rolled on. There are a lot of DIY bed liners and there are a few professionaly applied liners. they prevent the back of your pickup bed from getting scratched and such as you put stuff in it. Before you had plastic insert liners for truck beds, but those trapped water between the plastic and the metal bed and caused rust.

If you want, I can ship you over some Plasti Grip.

EDIT: Oh, and the front bumper and lower part of my doors on my Xterra are bed lined. I used Herculiner brand.

Ah ok. It was sort of what I thought it was, since we don't use/have it I wasn't sure.
The Plasti-Grip stuff I don't really have a use for directly. I do have a lot of old pliers and vice grips could use it but they don't get used frequently enought to warrant the use of Plasti-Grip...what I did have in mind for using it on was a pair of rear lens protector frames I have but I really want a smooth plastic finish (like they originally had) but I will probably eventually just get them powder coated instead.

BeaverEater
05-10-2006, 02:44 PM
not to bad, i personally prefer mudding in a quad over my truck. Its a lot better coming out completely covered in mud along with your quad. Plus its a lot cheaper to get a quad ready for the mud instead of a truck. I still have mud on mine from this past sunday even tho i powerwashed it twice.

Muzikman
05-10-2006, 02:54 PM
How about this? Not me, but I took the picture.

http://jbeamphotos.com/albums/WPAXC_LeftHill_2006-03-26/WPaXC_LeftHill_2006_03_26_057.sized.jpg

AGDlover
05-10-2006, 03:40 PM
hey if eather of you want a pair of 35" Super swamper tires on 6lug wheels lmk lol seroisely though

billybob_81067
05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I hate to break it to you. 285/65R16's are not 33's, they are 30.5x11.2x16. 285/75R16's are 33's (32.8x11.2x16).

BTW, I got new tires too on Saturday.

http://alleycattz.com/albums/Xterra05/IMG_0712.sized.jpg

They are BFG MT 285/75R16's

OOPS! I screwed up... I shoulda put 285/75/R16's, which are ~ 33"

Nice lookin rig you've got there Muzik.

And I would definately go with a front Dana 60 if I could find one close to here for under a grand! :eek:

Mark, Musik explained pretty well what bedliner is. This stuff I used is actually a 2 part epoxy mix that had a base material, hardener, tint, and rubber chips that you mixed all together and then sprayed before it set up. It's called Rattleguard and I got it off of e-bay. Seems like super tough stuff!

Muzikman
05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
This stuff I used is actually a 2 part epoxy mix that had a base material, hardener, tint, and rubber chips that you mixed all together and then sprayed before it set up. It's called Rattleguard and I got it off of e-bay. Seems like super tough stuff!

Rattleguard huh? I'm going to have to look into it. It sounds more complicated than Herculiner or Durabak (or any of the other DIY liners) but it also sounds more durable.

punkncat
05-10-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a 93 F-150 that I use as the daily driver. Its a longbed with the 300 inline 6 under the hood. Its got that crap e40d tranny, but I have had the aftermarket improvments made to the pump and spline shaft.

Mine has the bad factory paint so it looks like a leper. Its kind of nice not having to worry about appearance or scratches and bumps though. I have a curse against owning pretty vehicles anyway. They always get trashed.

PyRo
05-10-2006, 04:43 PM
That flat camo paint job is hiding a LOT of dings and crunches in that poor old pickup, and some cab rot in the rear cab corners. It belonged to one of my friends and him and his two brothers learned to drive around the farm with it which explains the crunches. I did do a bit of body work on it... just took off all the crappy chrome trim that was on it and welded up the holes. Anyways I need a good old beater pickup to take all the crap while I keep my others in nice shape. ;)
Like I said just do a little at a time.
Who ever said you can't have a nice work truck. Maybie you could do a cool flame job on that cake feeder as well :)

WickeDKlowN
05-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I put some 30x9.5-15 BFG All Terrains on my 95 F150 about a year ago. They're pretty nice, but my truck's only 2wd :(

billybob_81067
05-11-2006, 07:03 PM
I have a 93 F-150 that I use as the daily driver. Its a longbed with the 300 inline 6 under the hood. Its got that crap e40d tranny, but I have had the aftermarket improvments made to the pump and spline shaft.

Mine has the bad factory paint so it looks like a leper. Its kind of nice not having to worry about appearance or scratches and bumps though. I have a curse against owning pretty vehicles anyway. They always get trashed.

Those 300 I6 engines are supposed to be tough as nails I've heard. Pretty torquey too. Never driven one, but I've heard a lot of stories about them. Yeah I'm not a big fan of the E4OD transmission. That's what's in both my powerstroke and my 93 F-150, but not for long. I've got two standard trannies bought for them.

What color was/is your paint? That's wierd how different years have their bad batches of paint. I know dodge had a few colors like blue and maroon that flaked off real bad, and chevy had some years where their white fell off. I've seen some maroon fords in the 93-96 body style that had bad paint.

Rattleguard huh? I'm going to have to look into it. It sounds more complicated than Herculiner or Durabak (or any of the other DIY liners) but it also sounds more durable.

Yeah it definately seems way tougher than other DIY liners. Kinda pricey, but then again all DIY liners seem to be.

I put some 30x9.5-15 BFG All Terrains on my 95 F150 about a year ago. They're pretty nice, but my truck's only 2wd

I'll sell you an IFS Dana44 that'll bolt right up! Then all you'd need is a Borg Warner 1356 Transfer case, a different tail housing and shaft for your tranny, and some driveshafts.

WickeDKlowN
05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I'll sell you an IFS Dana44 that'll bolt right up! Then all you'd need is a Borg Warner 1356 Transfer case, a different tail housing and shaft for your tranny, and some driveshafts.

Tempting, but I'd like to keep this as my daily driver and not an off road truck that I'm constantly working on. :)

And as for the 300 I6's, those things are amazing. We had an old work truck with one that got over 330,000 miles before we sold it.

billybob_81067
05-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Yay! I e-mailed Jeff's Bronco Graveyard asking about my poly shackle bushings for the powerstroke and he said they arrived and they can ship them out today! :clap: Also I took my drivers side seat cushion for the 40/20/40 bench down to an upholstery shop in a town a few miles away and he had the material for it in stock. He said it would probably run me $100- $125. Now I'll have a damn near perfect seat. :headbang:

billybob_81067
05-13-2006, 02:27 AM

Muzik, I found that bedliner to show someone else I was telling about it and figured I'd post the link here for you too in case you didn't find it.

LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPRAY-ON-IN-LARGE-BLACK-BEDLINER-BED-LINER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33655QQitemZ18000 0243997QQrdZ1)

Pretty cheap too considering what other bedliner kits cost and the fact that you're getting 3 gallons of bedliner for $170 shipped... :)

I am actually considering getting one of their dealer kits and spraying bedliners in the off-season to fund my automotive craziness... LOL! The sad thing is that I'd probably be able to use it all on my own crap! :wow:

Muzikman
05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Here is a pic of it dirty.

http://jbeamphotos.com/albums/WPAXC_Ligonier_05-13-06/wpaxc_ligonier_060513_151112_5967.sized.jpg

PyRo
05-15-2006, 04:03 PM
How does that rattlegaurd hold up? I use the duplicolor arosol stuff which works decently for some things but it sure wouldn't hold up to regular use in a truck bed. Does that rattlegaurd hold up to large objects sliding around?

billybob_81067
05-16-2006, 01:49 AM
How does that rattlegaurd hold up? I use the duplicolor arosol stuff which works decently for some things but it sure wouldn't hold up to regular use in a truck bed. Does that rattlegaurd hold up to large objects sliding around?

I don't have any sprayed in a pickup bed, but I'd imagine that it would really work well. I got some overspray on my transmission through my transfer case shifter hole and I tried to remove some of it and it was a bear to to get it off. And that was on an unprepped, unsanded, non-degreased area. You can about imagine how tough it is on prepped surface.

I've tried that duplicolor stuff before in the bed of a pickup and it's definately not up to par as a bedliner.

Hope that all made sense... my buddies and I are gettin trashed and playing video games right now! :headbang:

Muzikman
05-16-2006, 09:20 AM

The Duplicolor rattle can is garbage! I used that on the inside of my bumper and it was flaking off before I even got the bumper on. The bumper was preped correctly too (cleaned, etched and primered). Anything is going to be better than that stuff.

PyRo
05-16-2006, 09:59 AM
I've never had it peel on me. I just wouldn't put it on high impact areas.
I've painted several jeep hardtops in it. It hasn't peeled although it will scratch it is tougher than the factory coating though. I've used it on bumpers, again the same thing. I've also used it on floor pans which will have carpet or mats over it and it's done its job in preventing rust but if it wasn't covered I could see it wearing off.

billybob_81067
05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I've never had it peel on me. I just wouldn't put it on high impact areas.
I've painted several jeep hardtops in it. It hasn't peeled although it will scratch it is tougher than the factory coating though. I've used it on bumpers, again the same thing. I've also used it on floor pans which will have carpet or mats over it and it's done its job in preventing rust but if it wasn't covered I could see it wearing off.

LOL I use plain old roofing tar for floor pans that will be covered with carpet. It's only like $6 a gallon and works pretty damn good. :D