PDA

View Full Version : At-Home stripping of anno?

Corbet
05-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I got a new Chimera grip but the viperblade that came with it is blue.

Whats the best method of stripping the blue anno for a regular non-anno look?

While we're at it, whats the best way to get the trigger out of the frame without damaging them?

bentothejam1n
05-12-2006, 04:08 PM
good way to get a trigger out (http://lukescustoms.com/page0025.htm)

Corbet
05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
The best(easiest) way to remove the pin is with an Arbor Press and a punch.

Otherwise, its a hammer and punch. Not as easy, much more likely to ding/nick the frame.

When the trigger/frames come directly from me, the pin is installed from the right side of the frame. If you got it from someone else, you need to ask how they installed it.

At-home stripping is a crap shoot. Its really easy to f-up. Good luck.

Right side as in punch from the left side if I need to remove the trigger?

One side is in the frame more then the other side.

punkncat
05-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Lye/Drain Cleaner

First PUT ON RUBBER GLOVES and I suggest goggles.

Fill a sink/bucket with water. Mix in a good amount of drain cleaner (lye). Make it stronger than you would use to clean the drains and make sure its mixed well. Lye is no joke, you DO NOT want this to touch your skin anywhere or get in your eyes. Vinegar will neutralize lye NOT WATER.

Take the disassembled parts and soak them in the solution. Make sure it stays mixed up as the lye will settle out in the bottom. The parts will require some light sanding and working to get all the anno off. Some parts don't take a long soak while others do. Rinse the parts really well. Keep wearing your gloves because the lye will need to be rinsed off or neutralized. I am unsure as to whether the vinegar smell would stay with the aluminum parts so I always just rinse them really well.

Dry the parts and give them a light sanding with a super fine cloth or steel wool. The parts will have to be sealed with a wax/polish. Even if they are to be sent off to anno the parts will be oxidizing by the moment unless you seal it. The anno shop will be able to clean/strip it right before the re-anno process. The more you sand and according to the polish you use its quite easy to get a very chrome-like appearance.

Oh and keep in mind that you are REMOVING aluminum from your parts so tolerances will be changed......

Corbet
05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Lye/Drain Cleaner

First PUT ON RUBBER GLOVES and I suggest goggles.

Fill a sink/bucket with water. Mix in a good amount of drain cleaner (lye). Make it stronger than you would use to clean the drains and make sure its mixed well. Lye is no joke, you DO NOT want this to touch your skin anywhere or get in your eyes. Vinegar will neutralize lye NOT WATER.

Take the disassembled parts and soak them in the solution. Make sure it stays mixed up as the lye will settle out in the bottom. The parts will require some light sanding and working to get all the anno off. Some parts don't take a long soak while others do. Rinse the parts really well. Keep wearing your gloves because the lye will need to be rinsed off or neutralized. I am unsure as to whether the vinegar smell would stay with the aluminum parts so I always just rinse them really well.

Dry the parts and give them a light sanding with a super fine cloth or steel wool. The parts will have to be sealed with a wax/polish. Even if they are to be sent off to anno the parts will be oxidizing by the moment unless you seal it. The anno shop will be able to clean/strip it right before the re-anno process. The more you sand and according to the polish you use its quite easy to get a very chrome-like appearance.

Oh and keep in mind that you are REMOVING aluminum from your parts so tolerances will be changed......

What type of wax/polish do you recommend? Will it prevent rusting and dis-coloration? Like I said my trigger is blue and I'd just like a natural silver look like usual triggers.

punkncat
05-12-2006, 04:47 PM
What type of wax/polish do you recommend? Will it prevent rusting and dis-coloration? Like I said my trigger is blue and I'd just like a natural silver look like usual triggers.

Well any good metal polish. I have some really good stuff I use for my motorcycle called Bombs Away, but I imagine anything like Meguiars, Mothers, etc. would work.

Keep in mind that this will have to be rewaxed from time to time. And yes when the aluminum is sealed from the elements it won't oxidize...the scaly white stuff and quick greying discoloration.

punkncat
05-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Oh and hey...I want to point out again. LYE IS NO JOKE!!! It is extremely dangerous stuff and should be handled as so. Don't get any on your or your clothes. Dispose of it safely...don't pour it out in the yard or anything.