PDA

View Full Version : The Aurora Finish

REDRT
05-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Anyone know for a fact how the aurora finish was done? I know it takes its toll on the marker and not many survive the process. Eclipse is hush hush about it and no one I talk to has any idea. It looks to me like chrome pipes tarnished by exhuast heat. Could that be it? Plated then electro polished and heated at the same time to get the effect?

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/4135/DSCN9.jpg

BigEvil
05-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I always got a bonner for those Eclipse guns. An Aurora Ego would be hot.

I understand its not at all easy to get good result, which is why I thing PE stopped doing it. I know AGD played around with the aurora finish on an Xmag, and it looked like an abortion.

REDRT
05-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I always got a bonner for those Eclipse guns. An Aurora Ego would be hot.

I understand its not at all easy to get good result, which is why I thing PE stopped doing it. I know AGD played around with the aurora finish on an Xmag, and it looked like an abortion.

Is that the one pictured under the prototypes in Xmag world?

st6212
05-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Quote from Pumaking:

" I'm the one who currently owns the 2 Auroras and I've spoken to several people from Eclipse concerning the Aurora plating. Here is what it is. To begin with no its not titanium or anything like that, Eclipse actually came up with there own method on how to do it. Anyways the bodies are first plated with Nickel b/c you cant just chrome plate aluminum, than its plated with Chrome. After that has been done the gun is put into a Special Chamber where the gun acts like a lightning rod and 20,000 Volts of Electricity is ran through the gun and leaves the special plating you see now. After all this is done then a special layer of protection is added, Eclipse wouldnt tell me what it is but its to help prevent any chipping or peeling. The plating is actually extremly durable despite what some people believe. As for who does it at this moment No company will do it b/c it costs to much and is extremly dangerous. Eclipse stated that when they made the Auroras they went through 9 bodies to get 1 good one, they also stated that it costed them over $1700 for one good one b/c of the bodies they had to destroy. So hopefully this might of cleared things up. "

BigEvil
05-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Is that the one pictured under the prototypes in Xmag world?

Yes thats the one.

REDRT
05-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Quote from Pumaking:

" I'm the one who currently owns the 2 Auroras and I've spoken to several people from Eclipse concerning the Aurora plating. Here is what it is. To begin with no its not titanium or anything like that, Eclipse actually came up with there own method on how to do it. Anyways the bodies are first plated with Nickel b/c you cant just chrome plate aluminum, than its plated with Chrome. After that has been done the gun is put into a Special Chamber where the gun acts like a lightning rod and 20,000 Volts of Electricity is ran through the gun and leaves the special plating you see now. After all this is done then a special layer of protection is added, Eclipse wouldnt tell me what it is but its to help prevent any chipping or peeling. The plating is actually extremly durable despite what some people believe. As for who does it at this moment No company will do it b/c it costs to much and is extremly dangerous. Eclipse stated that when they made the Auroras they went through 9 bodies to get 1 good one, they also stated that it costed them over $1700 for one good one b/c of the bodies they had to destroy. So hopefully this might of cleared things up. "

Thanks for the info. So the 20,000 volts is what kills the bodies? The colors then are like electrical burns. I wonder if normal heat like a torch could creat something like that? Final stage must be some sort of clear coat. Dupont must have something.

REDRT
05-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Yes thats the one.

Ok I have seen it then. It is lack luster, but atleast they tried.

REDRT
05-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I just keep on thinking of "Young Frankenstein" with Gene Wilder. Flip the switch, 20,000 volts and IT"S ALIVE!

st6212
05-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't find a pic of the x-mag anno....but last I remember it would change colour/shade slightly when looking at it at different angles and different lighting.

I think they did something similar to their flatline air systems also?

I could be wrong about it, its been a few years since I saw it. Anyway, the only thing that came to my mind, was how it resembled the rear end of a blowfly.

As far as I know with the Aurora finish, what you see is pretty much it. In that, the picture you have there gives off the illusion that the colours and shades will change under different lighting and at different angles when looking at it, when it fact it doesn't.

Still an awesome finish though. I'd love to get that finish, if it weren't so risky.

REDRT
05-13-2006, 10:23 PM
xmag prototypes (http://www.xmagworld.com/prototypes.htm)

This link gets you to the pic of the Xmag. Not so good.
20,000 volts isn't all that much. It is the amps that kill. I'm going to study and maybe try some atempts at doing it. On some thing other than a marker for sure at first. It is the ultimate finish. Sure to win any vote for best looking.

st6212
05-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Ahh, ok I remember that x-mag pic....not the one I was thinking of. Although that is pretty much the AGD aurora version. Not as clean and slick as the Eclipse finish.

The "blowfly" finish I was thinking of actually changed shades. I think they just did it to their air systems. Mostly a coating I think, not anno. It pretty much looked brown and fugly upon initial look of it. I think it was AGD Europe that came up with it at the time.

Chaos_Theory!
05-14-2006, 09:44 AM
If you guys want it theres a huge thread over on PBN in the voided warrenty section (anodizing) about it. Very informative and prob covers any questions you may have about it.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1433748
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1437298

GT
05-14-2006, 02:40 PM
My understanding is that the problem with the bodies was kinda a myth. The real problem is that the finish is prone to chipping. Maybe when they introduce the contaiminate into the nickel plate.

REDRT
05-14-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm sure I can gather up 20,000 volts. I just wonder how they zapped it for starters? Maybe there is a better way? I got a few ideas forming, but I'd have to get some chromed aluminum to test my ideas.

Kyle.Kimber
05-14-2006, 03:39 PM
I thought that was called a gasoline effect. I think I saw that on WWA or something.

REDRT
05-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I thought that was called a gasoline effect. I think I saw that on WWA or something.

Nope that is how it is sometimes discribed, but "Aurora" is what Planet Eclipse called it.

SummaryJudgement
05-15-2006, 10:56 AM
I've got an Aurora Eclipse Imp. It looks really nice in person. I have also contatced Eclipse several times asking about the process and who could do it for me. Even with the fact the body could get screwed or at least have the finish turn out bad, I'd would be willing to risk it if I could actually find someone to do it. Aurora Karta anyone :D .......?

The finish is slightly chipped in some areas, but I think it's from playing and not the finish itself. I bought it off of Ledz years ago (a factory player, he still works there) and had it shipped to me from the UK. It was definately a custom job because aside from the body having the finish it has matching Fangs button cover, Boomstick tip, drop, vert Max-flo, front Cap, everything. The only thing I don't like about the gun is the feedneck is like four inches tall.

ThePixelGuru
05-15-2006, 01:20 PM
http://i3.tinypic.com/ztuloz.jpg

magmonkey
05-15-2006, 04:08 PM
PVD:
physical vapor deposition is what the process is called

http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/watch_jewelry/ZL20493.html

http://www.dantesknife.com/K1660VIB.jpg

when eclipse told me I could never find out what the finish was or where to get it I went on a tare to find out :)
I know of two shops in the US offering it.

SummaryJudgement
05-15-2006, 04:39 PM
PVD:
physical vapor deposition is what the process is called

http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/watch_jewelry/ZL20493.html

http://www.dantesknife.com/K1660VIB.jpg

when eclipse told me I could never find out what the finish was or where to get it I went on a tare to find out :)
I know of two shops in the US offering it.

WHERE/WHO?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? MUST KNOW!?!?!??!! :eek: :wow: :cry: :headbang:

WenULiVeUdiE
05-15-2006, 05:12 PM
magmonkey- Are you sure they will use PVD on aluminum though? I know it is much easier to do with steel than aluminum, which is why many knives have the same finish.

ttink
05-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Who cares about aluminum?! SS mag bodies are like $15!! just make a rad looking mag! The wieght is worth it.... but thats just me.

thefool
05-15-2006, 09:13 PM
if you really want it and you want a light gun, go for a titanium body, this should work much better on titanium.

kosmo
05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
I bought one of those kershaw onions for my ex last year. The finish seemed quite durable to me.