PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion on an ongoing trade with a Minor.

Stealthed_Banana
05-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm looking to buy an A5, and I found someone on AO, selling one.

After speaking with him for two days, he tells me that his 'Parents' say that I must ship the money first, and no Third Party security.

What would you do?

SpitFire1299
05-14-2006, 03:50 PM
DO NOT TRADE.

Im not going to say anymore, because thats all thats needed to be said.

Steelrat
05-14-2006, 03:54 PM
My parents just told me you need to send me $200.

Seriously, just say "no." There's plenty of A5s out there, find someone willing to work with you on the shipping arrangements.

Stealthed_Banana
Yep. Done and done.

campencarl91: would u want ground mailing
StealthedBanana: Untill I talk to your parents, and have some assurance that I'm not getting stiffed, we don't need to talk about shipping.
campencarl91: k
campencarl91: ill have them call u later
StealthedBanana: My name is Derek.
campencarl91: will u be out at all
StealthedBanana: It's a cellphone.
campencarl91: so we will talk bout payments and shipping after u talk with my parents?
StealthedBanana: If I feel comfortable, yeah.
campencarl91: dont worry, im a scout
StealthedBanana: The fact that you want me to ship first, with NO third party security, Doens't look good
campencarl91: we cant cheat or anything like that
StealthedBanana: Thirdy parties assure that the buyer and seller dont get screwed over.
StealthedBanana: You can NOT send me my item.
campencarl91: here is what i dont understand
campencarl91: if we do 3rd party, we ship at same time?
StealthedBanana: For the most part.
campencarl91: so, if i get the chech and it bounces, u already got the gun
campencarl91: i get screwed
StealthedBanana: The third part waits forgun ANd money, and if the gun arrives and works, he sends me the gun, and sends you, your money.
StealthedBanana: How do I already have your gun?
StealthedBanana: I dont have it, someone at a reputable paintball shop does.
campencarl91: we sent at same time
StealthedBanana: I dont think you're understanding this.
campencarl91: but they will check if gun works, how will they check to see if a check will clear
StealthedBanana: Its a MONEY order.
StealthedBanana: Not a CHeck.
campencarl91: OOOOO
campencarl91: i see
StealthedBanana: You said you wanted a MONEY ORDER.
campencarl91: money or check
campencarl91: whatever u want
campencarl91: my bad
campencarl91: sry
StealthedBanana: And becuase they are not YOU, nor do they have your I.D Card, they cna't take the money.
campencarl91: when my dad calls you guys can talk it over
StealthedBanana: I'm sorry guy, there are just too many red flags when dealing with you.
StealthedBanana: This is too shady.
StealthedBanana: Have a good one.
campencarl91 signed off at 2:07:21 PM.

Chaos_Theory!
If you have feedback use that. If thats still not enough tell him youll use third party or theres no deal.

REDRT
05-14-2006, 04:03 PM
No one ships first and waits for the money. Normally that is how it is done pay and prey. Look at the guys and the wait on Devilmags. No minors there, but screwed just the same. Does this person have feedback? Maybe if in doubt you can talk to the folks over the phone to make sure it is a go and set your mind at ease. Or just forget it all together and buy locally. Age doesn't mean it will be bad, but you have to go with what your gut tells ya.

Chaos_Theory!
05-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I dont send anything first regarldess of whether im buying or selling unless the other person has a lot of feedback or can show he is a mature person that i can trust.

REDRT
05-14-2006, 04:11 PM
How I read it it sounds like the kid is rather inexperienced at online trading. He didn't seem shady at all just young and dumb IMO...

Steelrat
05-14-2006, 04:11 PM
The word "parents" is a red flag to me.

Stealthed_Banana
05-14-2006, 04:22 PM
No one ships first and waits for the money. Normally that is how it is done pay and prey. Look at the guys and the wait on Devilmags. No minors there, but screwed just the same. Does this person have feedback? Maybe if in doubt you can talk to the folks over the phone to make sure it is a go and set your mind at ease. Or just forget it all together and buy locally. Age doesn't mean it will be bad, but you have to go with what your gut tells ya.

That was a possibility, but they called me way too many times after I politely told him I was no longer interested.

He also changed his story, It was originally HIS gun, but now his Father's.
StealthedBanana: Are you Calling my phone?
campencarl91: so is the deal done
StealthedBanana: If so, please stop.
campencarl91: my dad can talk to u now
StealthedBanana: Yes, we're Done.
campencarl91: y
campencarl91: what did i do
StealthedBanana: Because this deal is too shady.
campencarl91: y
StealthedBanana: And I don't deal with minors.
StealthedBanana: you were unprofessional in how you hanlded yourself.
campencarl91: my dad is selling it
campencarl91: its his gun
StealthedBanana: Then goodluck to him.
campencarl91: im doing the comp work
StealthedBanana: Please stop calling me
campencarl91 signed off at 2:30:34 PM.

Oddball91
05-14-2006, 04:28 PM
i tryed to work it out with him. i told him that he could talk with my parents on the phone, but he didnt want to. btw i seriously offered to have him talk to my parents, yes its my first sale with my dad but if he talked to my dad then he could get trust.

3pac
05-14-2006, 04:43 PM
i tryed to work it out with him. i told him that he could talk with my parents on the phone, but he didnt want to. btw i seriously offered to have him talk to my parents, yes its my first sale with my dad but if he talked to my dad then he could get trust.

Making a first sale on the internet is a big thing, but more importantly, your social skills should be up to par in order to have a smooth transaction. Before even thinking about selling, ensure that every situation is covered, whether it be paypal or money order and if it is even okay to sell the marker period. Planning is key and when dealing on the internet, most people do not enjoy hang ups upon discussing of pricing and payment. Another piece of advice, no matter what you do or how old you are, A) check your spelling on AIM and B) Never use AIM speak during a possible sale. I myself find those two characteristics unprofessional especially when making transactions over the internet. Good luck to you and your sales in the future. As for Derek, good decision on the shady deal call due to too many outside factors coming into play with the transaction. Keep stuff simple.

Oddball91
05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
AIM is easier because it is instant. Also, it was actually my 2nd sale but 1st on the internet. I understand that I am new but he did little to try to make it work out. I tryed and was going to have my dad talk to him but he refused.

3pac
05-14-2006, 04:51 PM
AIM is easier because it is instant. Also, it was actually my 2nd sale but 1st on the internet. I understand that I am new but he did little to try to make it work out. I tryed and was going to have my dad talk to him but he refused.

If you had read what I had wrote, you would notice that AIM is okay for making transactions, but the diction you use for your words is key. Tried, not tryed and Why, not y.

Oddball91
05-14-2006, 04:56 PM
I understand what you are saying. I will take your advise for my next sale. Thanks

jenarelJAM
05-14-2006, 04:58 PM
I think that the seller (oddball) is legit, just new, and young. He didn't know what third party trading was, and since his parents didn't know either, they told him he had to get the money before he shipped. This sounds exactly like what my parents would say around 2 years ago, before they understood that I knew what I was doing better than they :D .

Oddball, now that you know about third party transactions, you won't confuse the buyer when you try to get him to send the money first. Since you don't have feedback, you probably won't find someone to send the money first. However, you can offer third party trade, and most likely the buyer will have to pay for it, if you're selling for a good price.

Good luck with the trading guys.

Stealthed_Banana
05-14-2006, 04:59 PM
This thread wasn't made for you and I go to back and forth on what happened, thats what PMS are for.
I did talk to youlast night about this.
You messeged me while I was away and firmly told me, NO Third party trading, and that I'm to ship first.
I refuse to deal with people like that.

Have a nice day.

To Everyone else: Thank you for your feedback and input.

Oddball91
05-14-2006, 05:00 PM
thanks, i thought that if he talked to my parents he would be able to trust us but he didn't want to do that.

50 cal
05-14-2006, 05:35 PM
This is exactly why I never deal on paintball boards anymore. A minor can not, repeat, can not enter into a contract. If a minor decides to screw you over, you have no recourse.
Deal through and with a dealer or buy new through a shop or online dealer.

I tried to deal with a kid in Michigan over an RT body. I had to get help from an AO'er near him to get my goods.

DeVioSiTY
05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
A minor can screw you over and get nailed. It's still called mail fraud! Especially if you mailed the check. While minors may not enter into a contract, they still can break the law.

ttink
05-21-2006, 03:16 PM
A minor can not, repeat, can not enter into a contract.
I disagree. I am 15 years old and have had many smooth deals with numerous buyers and sellers. Its just some cannot handel being mature and ruin it for the rest of us.

thefool
05-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I disagree. I am 15 years old and have had many smooth deals with numerous buyers and sellers. Its just some cannot handel being mature and ruin it for the rest of us.
same

LinearGoose
05-21-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree to.
P.S. Its handle not handel. Dont want to be the spelling police but just trying to help you out.

mobsterboy
05-21-2006, 08:54 PM
This is exactly why I never deal on paintball boards anymore. A minor can not, repeat, can not enter into a contract. If a minor decides to screw you over, you have no recourse.

I tried to deal with a kid in Michigan over an RT body. I had to get help from an AO'er near him to get my goods.

K, but if prosecuted, the legal guardian can be tried FOR the minor. So technically, they do not have a loophole if they are a minor.

topazpaintball
05-21-2006, 10:00 PM

I think he meant a legal contract. But I agree with you that not all minors are ignorant traders that tyep lkie dis. thefool and I have many smooth transactions under my our belts, ranging everywhere from grips to Racegun packages, and never once have either of us ever made the other party feel that they would need a third party. Clear, concise communication and means of backing up everything you say (pics, anyone to put in a good word, phone calls, etc) will make everyone a lot more comfortable.

knightlord
05-21-2006, 10:06 PM
you can fidn better deals out there also.. i don't know what that all comes with.. i have seen used A5 with n2 tanks and the works go for that

-Delete-
05-22-2006, 01:44 AM
I agree to.
P.S. Its handle not handel. Dont want to be the spelling police but just trying to help you out.

P.S. It's 'too', not 'to'. I Don't want to be the spelling police, but I'm just trying to help you out.

LinearGoose
05-22-2006, 02:26 AM
P.S. It's 'too', not 'to'. I Don't want to be the spelling police, but I'm just trying to help you out.
Thanks Delete.I never caught that because I never could remember that rule.
EDIT: Also tthink or anyone dont want you guys to get offended about the handle comment I made,but I just had to point that out since everyone was dissing on oddballs spelling.

Lohman446
05-22-2006, 05:46 AM

Thats actually on a very technical note, wrong. A minor can enter into a contract, it just is not at all binding.

magsRus
05-22-2006, 05:29 PM
I dont think this kid was trying to stiff you. He was just trying to handle the situation but he had no idea how to handle it. I really dont think he was going to intentionally screw you, he's just learning how to do business without any tips or any advice.