PDA

View Full Version : Newb question - definition of short-stroking & chuffing?

Surestick
05-17-2006, 12:15 PM
I keep seeing these terms & I can pretty much figure out what chuffing is (it's self explanatory) but I'm not sure about short-stroking.
What sequence of events happens inside the marker to cause these two problems?

All a search gave was pages of people complaining of these issues but no clear answers as to what they are.

Arstron
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Short stroking is when you do not pull the trigger fully. This keeps the valve from firing properly and causes it to chuff.

You also get the "Chuff" when your level 10 bolt is working properly and stops a chop.

Surestick
05-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Ok but what is happening inside the marker?
What is the sear doing in relation to the bolt, what is the on/off doing, what is the bolt doing & what is the air doing?

bit-wizard
05-18-2006, 07:18 AM
On a 'cocker or blazer, shortstroking is when you don't make a full trigger pull. On a mag, I think it's actually a little different. I believe it's when you don't allow the trigger to return far enough forward before begining the next pull. This only allows the on/off to partially (if at all) open and only partially fills the air dump chamber. This reduced pressure in the dump chamber results in a shot of a lower velocity than the "good" shots that you had fired immediately before it. It can also result in low enough pressure to just push the ball past the detent, but not fire it. Then the next shot results in 2 balls being fired, and/or maybe a mess in the barrel.

athomas
05-18-2006, 09:07 PM
bit-wizard described it well.

Surestick
05-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I get it, thanks