PDA

View Full Version : Technical question.. about dwell and stuff

SpitFire1299
05-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Please tell me if im right. :)

Lower dwell and higher input pressure will give you more shots off a tank.
Higher dwell and lower input pressure will give you less shots off a tank.

Im confused with all this. :D Please help!

BigEvil
05-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Dwell effects different types of guns in different ways. What kind of gun are you talking about?

SpitFire1299
05-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Matrix. I forgot to add that sorry.

BigEvil
05-19-2006, 07:09 AM
oOoH... Spool valve, not very knowledgable about those... But what you said about short dwell, high pressure makes sense. Best bet is to see what the factory recommends, and tinker with it from there. Depending on how the gun is made, it may or may not make a difference.

RRfireblade
05-19-2006, 08:03 AM
It varies on every gun. You have to find the 'sweetspot' for each.

Simplest way to start is to set your LPR and HPR to factory settings and start with the dwell at a fairly low setting. Shooting over a chrono , turn the dwell up and shoot. The FPS will rise accordingly. Eventually you'll get to the point where raising the dwell no longer raises the velocity , that's where you you want to leave it. If the FPS starts to drop as you raise the dwell , you've gone to far.

Mechanic79
05-19-2006, 08:35 AM

Simplest way to start is to set your LPR and HPR to factory settings and start with the dwell at a fairly low setting. Shooting over a chrono , turn the dwell up and shoot. The FPS will rise accordingly. Eventually you'll get to the point where raising the dwell no longer raises the velocity , that's where you you want to leave it. If the FPS starts to drop as you raise the dwell , you've gone to far.

how about on a Devilmag? and by turning dwell up do you mean 12ms opposed to 4ms?

RRfireblade
05-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Doesn't apply to an E Mag.

Dwell has only to do with sear lock up there. AGD suggests nothing less 20ms to prevent sear and bolt damage. Below that your on your own. ;)

Dwell settings typically only effect markers/valve systems where the dwell directly controls the volume of air to fire the ball.

RRfireblade
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
how about on a Devilmag? and by turning dwell up do you mean 12ms opposed to 4ms?

That sounds like your talking about triggger sensitivity perhaps? (Debounce? , Not sure what D Mags use there)

You definately don't want to be at 4ms dwell on a Mag.

SpitFire1299
05-19-2006, 02:38 PM

Thanks so much! :cheers:

magman007
05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
ooook

the matrix, of course, is my specialty. IM assuming you are going to want the most efficient, yet, lightest on the paint setup. heres how ya do it

first, set the regs to the factory settings, and get it shooting the fps you want. then lower the lpr to zero, and turn it out slowly and keep shooting until you see no decrease in performance, usually around 2 turns on a broken in dm6 with quality lube, about 3 on a regular dm, and on a stock trix, it is completely variable. Deffinitely pick up an scm, dye mini bullet, or std lpr if you are still using a pbc or trinity lpr, these lprs are pretty much set it and forget it, much nicer than adjusting every time.

then do the dwell, do it the way rrfireblade mentioned, and get it shooting around the same fps consistently as when you first set it, sure a little increase in imput pressure may be necessary, but it is not an issue, as the lpr controls the bolt speed and force, imput pressure is used to fire the ball, biaiscally you want to lower everything to the point where it is still performing flawlessly, with no issues, and reaching the target fps give or take a few fps. this will give you the sweet spot of the marker.

FiXeL
05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
I've got a DM4. When i installed a tophat mod i did the following:

- Installed the tophat mod
- Lubed with DOW33 or any good lube, just please don't use the dye stuff!
- Lower dwell to 12
- Leave LPR as it was since it was shooting ok before
- Chrono and increase pressure until you reach the desired FPS
- Adjust LPR so you will not expierience drop off while rapid firing. The goal is to use as little air as possible, but enough to cycle the marker consistently even during rapid fire.
- Chrono again to verify you are still shooting legally

Reducing dwell (time the solenoid stays open) and increasing working pressure makes the gun more effiecient, but you won't see any drastic changes.. Adding the tophad mod and re-adjusting the gun gained me about 200 extra shots per fill. My marker does about 1400 shots per 68/4500

If you want more info on fine tuning your matrix, you should go to: http://forums.matrixowner.com/

Good luck!